MWP 14 and Cardboard - Sacrilege or Socially Acceptable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
There has been talk by some Chicago Rocket Mafia members about a bevy of newly built, OOP cardboard rockets being targeted for maiden flights at MWP 14 in early November. Now we all know that MWP has traditionally been dominated by extreme, even crazy rocket projects and contests which for the most part lend themselves to fiberglass or carbon construction, so this is a bit of a throwback to the MWP/Princeton predecessor launches in Danville, IL. I'm bringing this up because I have a number of "back burner" projects ranging from the simple to the complex that fit the cardboard OOP profile that could be accelerated to make this date depending on who else is "stepping up." So what say ye? Who has plans in this area?

Last edited:
Why would that be wrong? I am building a rocket out of stuff I have laying around. 54mm minimum phenolic with standard dual deploy. Find are 1/16" balsa skinned with carbon fiber. Designed around the AT I65.

Last edited:
I recently picked up a LOC Heavy Duty Beauty from Wildman... And a 3" Long AV bay kit for my LOC 4-29SS. Now I just have to build everything. Probably not this MWP.

Adrian

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471711241.573323.jpg

This was a display model for Fat Cat Rocketry. If I can get it to fly able condition and a repainted job I will be flying it. Balls between then and now so we will see.

Dennis

View attachment 299373

This was a display model for Fat Cat Rocketry. If I can get it to fly able condition and a repainted job I will be flying it. Balls between then and now so we will see.

Dennis

Huh Dennis?:confused2: Looks pretty nice to me in the picture. Do you really need to repaint it or is your artistic bent just wanting to be exercised? Kurt

Huh Dennis?:confused2: Looks pretty nice to me in the picture. Do you really need to repaint it or is your artistic bent just wanting to be exercised? Kurt

Was never built to fly. Fillets for upper fins too small, lowers were damage in shipping. No recovery/ eBay, no motor mount. By the time these are all taken care of it will need some paint. Hope to keep it as close to this as possible.

Dennis

Well, sure! Rocket build progress has been exceptionally slow this year, the huge plans have been scaled back significantly. But, how about:

-a drag race of Loc Top Guns on White K motors
-a Rocket R&D Brutus or two...will drag race Bob J. if he has his at MWP
-a Loc Esoteric or two that should come together in time for MWP (Nik's will be done; hoping mine is too!).
-the bruised Bruiser....'cause why not? Probably a 75-6G white.

Like Dennis, I have a side trip between now and then which is my current focus...we'll see where we're at come late September!

-Eric-

Well guys, some of you may remember this guy....."Rockets for Mummies"..made it's debut at MWP-2. Public Missile Ultimate Endeavor. So old the NC has a phenolic shoulder!!! Got it off the old ROL auction in 2000.

After 5-6 flights the phenolic finally let go...

IMG_0906.jpg Img_0362.jpg

It was re-skined with another set of phenolic tubes, but I added a wrap or 2 of glass. Reborn as an updated "Mummy"....

"Bad to the Bone"

100_3208.jpg

I've got 15-16 flights on this ole bird many with thermalite air started 38's that surround the central 54. That's ALWAYS exciting!

If it counts as an old cardboard bird I'll dust it off and bring it MWP this fall. Loves big 54 dual thrust motors, goes to around 3,000 ft on just one and 5-6,000 on full stack cluster. Perfect see-all flights. Or I could put that last AMW K-1000 Skid in it.....
Anyone got one? [PML Ultimate E] we could do a side by side flight..... or any cluster- buster for that matter. Definitely old school drag race.

What say yee'all...... bring it?

Last edited:
Back