MW RRC3 won't 'Simulate' in USB-IO dongle power alone

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by Curtis Enlow, May 12, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. May 12, 2019 #1

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Not sure if I am doing something incorrectly, but my new RRC3 will not 'Simulate' in USB-IO and mDACS on USB power alone. (It will Simulate from an external power source).

I use a laptop, and have tried different USB ports, as well as a powered USB hub to no avail.

I have followed the instructions to start a USB Host Mode using the RRC3 and USB-IO power source to the letter (except, of course, establishing the RRC3 Sim Connect in lieu of Host Connect). The TX & RX lights flash and I get the 'please Standby' notice, but then it remains in Connection Mode: 'Standby'.

Advice?

2. May 14, 2019 at 4:59 AM #2

Constant Leon

Constant Leon

Constant Leon

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you.... but I do have exactly the same issue.

Will be watching this thread.

3. May 14, 2019 at 5:07 AM #3

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Contacted Jim at MW and I am not at my computer, but, essentially, the SIM Mode requires more power than the USB-IO will deliver, so it has to be ran connected to exterior power. Kinda makes sense as you can't do drogue, main or aux checks on USB-IO power, either.

Doesn't affect my view or use of the product, I only wanted to insure mine was not defective in some way.

4. May 14, 2019 at 9:57 AM #4

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Mod

That’s pretty much a requirement for all the other altimeters too, not just MW.

Curtis Enlow likes this.
  5. May 15, 2019 at 12:06 AM #5

Constant Leon

Constant Leon

Constant Leon

Great, I figured it was something like that. I too, just wanted to make sure it was not an issue with my unit.