Mustang fin question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
I had some trouble with the Mustang fin snapping in when I put the CA on, and I was wondering is if I could snap it in with no CA then apply it from the inside. The fins have snapped on fine in dry fits, so would this work?

I wouldn't see why not. If you're going back in to re-inforce from the inside, I see no reason not to try it. Also, put some fillets on the outside (for cosmetic as well as strength purposes), and you should have no problems.

That's what I did with mine. After installing the fins I took a plastic spoon and poured epoxy down the fin root from the back then put the back centering ring on. Two flights and all is well!

Keith

The fins shouldn't take much abuse on this kit, since they aren't swept, to the rocket doesn't land directly on the fins - the tail hits first.

Loopy

Ok... Would this work on the Initiator too? I may be starting on the Mustang completion today if I can get the CA cap off.

DAng... this is probably the maddest I have ever been regarding rocketry. My assistant, while we were having the problems snapping fins in, tried to snap in a fin at another slot to see if it would work. Evidently, it had CA on the fin tab. So now I have a problem: One of the fin locks has CA in it, and I ahve no idea how to get it out. Acetone will melt the plastic, so that's out of the question. ANy suggestions?

Not sure on the CA thing, but on the Initiator question - yes, it should work on the Initiator as well. But, since the fins on the Initiator are swept back, put an epoxy fillet on the outside tube/fin joint. Smooths out the joint, and helps it withstand the shock of landing on the fins.

Loopy

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
So now I have a problem: One of the fin locks has CA in it, and I ahve no idea how to get it out. Acetone will melt the plastic, so that's out of the question. ANy suggestions?

You probably just have to do it the old-fashioned way. Get a scrap piece of basswood sheet stock (or any kind of hardwood) and wrap a piece of sandpaper around it. You may have to cut a small piece of wood and sandpaper, to get into the tiny space. Apply elbowgrease.

And don't beat your assistant.

You may be able to use a sharp x-acto type knife and scrape it out. Powderburner is right - elbowgrease!

Keith

I'm following this thread closely, since I'm still hoping to get a Mustang of my own someday ;)

Ok here's a tip for anyone building a AT rocket right now: If you have trouble with the finlocks, don't bother sanding them but place them flat on a table and push the motor tube down on them. THis worked like a charm without sanding on the Initiator, don't see why it wouldn't work on other rockets.

I will probably be going to HL tomorrow to get some accelerator and thin CA. The fin seems to go in all the way on the Mustang, but it just doesn't snap.

I just got myself a mustang rocket. It took me one night to build it and I am now in the process of painting it. I had no problem with the finlocks, and that doesnt make sense on why they dry fitted but didnt when you put tthe CA on them. :)

Back