Must have been a rocketeer...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Uh, Nick is still in bootcamp right?! :D (See attachment) By the way, I am printing this and MAILING it to him at boot camp!!! LOL! :D :D :D I think he'll get a good laugh!

Yep, definitely violates the 30 degrees launch code...

Must have been a rocketeer in the cockpit!

As ususal, the rocket laws/rules don't apply to federal employees :)

"Upon being notified to cancel the trip to Iraq, the Captain turned the ship hard over." :p

...or Nick said "screw it, I'm NOT going out to sea!"

Originally posted by rstaff3
As ususal, the rocket laws/rules don't apply to federal employees :)

Well, if that were the case the entire ship would have caught fire! :eek: :D

"Uh, Earl...I th'ot you told the paaalut to land on runway B?!" :D

POST 1500!

Reminds me of the cropduster pilot, in Independence Day, That was a F-18 hornet also. " Dou..Which one did I push" Ah ha. Nice AIM-9L shot. I'm working on a micro one of those:)

Originally posted by eugenefl
"Upon being notified to cancel the trip to Iraq, the Captain turned the ship hard over." :p

...or Nick said "screw it, I'm NOT going out to sea!"

OMG!:eek: That is a very seriously cool picture. That's a hell of a lot of boat to making a Bat-Turn with.
Maybe it's evasive manouvers to avoid thier own missle

"Uh, Earl...I th'ot you told the paaalut to land on runway B?!" :D

POST 1500!

That reminds me... One of the local airports is home to some KC-135 tankers. These things are not small. I was standing in my room reading shonen jump or something like that, and I heard a jet coming. One or our APs is really small, and thats the one we live by. So I run out on the porch being the kid I am, and what do I see but a KC-135 about 50 feet above runway 13, landing gear down. That was a suprise. If it had landed, it would have slashed some buildings with its wings. It proceeded to climb and headed for the airbase.

wow those are all amazing pictures. I have seen the sidewinder one before something about the clips letting go

Man I would not want to be near that thing sliding across the deck

Well, if that were the case the entire ship would have caught fire! :eek: :D

ROFLMAO!! Eugene, quit posting to this thread! My side is hurting :D

"After being reprimanded for his 'model rocket' launch off the flight deck, Jimmy decided he'd impress his 'mates by doing a fin tip stand on the upper deck." :kill: I kill me!

"After being reprimanded for his 'model rocket' launch off the flight deck, Jimmy decided he'd impress his 'mates by doing a fin tip stand on the upper deck." :kill: I kill me!

"Look ma! No hands!"

Hey!!! I was there!!

I've been looking for that picture for years. Where did you find it?

The real story. That picture was taken aboard USS Midway in 1987 (or so) during the first cruise with F/A-18. I think that was a VFA-192 bird. During a trap, an AIM-9 came loose from the wingtip station and proceeded to bounce down the flight deck and off the angle. The guy running to the left was the yellow shirt who was getting ready to taxi the plane out of the wires. For around six week after this incident, F/A-18 were prohibited from carrying stores on the wingtip station. Despite this, they later lost a HARM (BIG $$$) off an inboard station. The Air Boss was not happy! (I was in PriFly that day. What a hoot!)

BTW, Jim, did you see the project I have started with your fiberboard? It's in the LPR forum.

I just came up with another caption:

"Say, don't you think you put TOO much nose weight in it, Nick?"

Originally posted by prowlerguy
Hey!!! I was there!!

I've been looking for that picture for years. Where did you find it?

Actually, an old Air Force buddy forwarded them to me. Glad to be the "finder" of something you had been looking for! I'm kinda glad I posted them!

So what happens to the missile? Does it just go over the side of the ship and fall into the water harmlessly, or what?

Jason

I think they are designed to sink. That way, ships don't accidently run into them... I know for sure they do this for torpedos... but missiles? Sometimes they jetison their load to get out of trouble quickly....

Im really hoping that you guys are using your photoshop programs again...:D

If not, thats quite the thing!

D'ya think it exploded when it hit the water? good thing its a Sidewinder and not a Hound Dog nuke...:eek: ;)

I highly doubt a missile would float. That is just me though.

I'm with you Ryan. You probably have to worry about that with torpedoes since they run with neutral buoyancy, right?

Originally posted by rstaff3
I'm with you Ryan. You probably have to worry about that with torpedoes since they run with neutral buoyancy, right?

US torpedos are designed to sink if the run out of fuel without detonating. Some navies (like Japan during WII) set then to float. Both US and JAP ships got damaged by floating Japanise torpedos.

Thats what I was getting at. You have to purposely design that feature in as they are not meant to sink like a lead brick from the get go.

Wo! 2000 posts! Nice!:cool:

Thats real smart battle tactics.... Blowlin up yer own ships with your own torpedoes!:eek:

Sounds a lot like a minefield!:eek: :rolleyes:

It just skipped down the angle and went into the drink. It didn't explode because it wasn't fired, it just fell off. No seeker lock, no arming of the proximity fuse, so it was just a fairly expensive bit of litter somewhere in the South China Sea. If it had floated, there would have been a mad scramble to get it before the AGI did. Not sure who would win that race.

I'm sorry. Those are the Soviet intel ships that would follow every carrier, intercepting radio comms, picking up garbage looking for classified stuff, and serving as a disposable targeting system. They were often euphamistically refered to in the press as "trawlers." Some examples would be the Moma, Okean, and Primorye classes.

Back