Musk Read

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
From Inc. ...

https://www.inc.com/james-paine/5-billionaires-who-credit-their-success-to-reading.html

Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, seems to operate on a different wavelength. It's no shocker that he's one of the most productive readers in the world -- and always has been.
Growing up in South Africa, Musk was usually the smallest and youngest person in his class. He spent his team reading books obsessively, not just for pleasure, but also for knowledge. Musk described himself, in a Bloomberg interview, as a "bookwormy" kid. Growing up, he would read as many as two books per day.
When asked how he learned how to build rockets, Musk gives a simple answer: "I read books."
Recommendations: Jim Cantrell, an aerospace consultant who became part of the founding team of SpaceX, said that Musk borrowed (but never returned) these four books while teaching himself about rocket science:
Rocket Propulsion Elements by George P. Sutton, Oscar Biblarz
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Roger R. Bate, Donald D. Mueller, Jerry E. White
International Reference Guide to Space Launch Systems by S. Isakowitz, J. Hopkins, J. Hopkins Jr
Elements of Propulsion: Gas Turbines and Rockets by J. Mattingly, H. von Ohain

I wonder what books could be written that could extend our hobby?

Greg

The man's space vehicle is now on the cover of Rocket Propulsion Elements.
That book was on every desk when I interned at the test facility last year.

Back