Music Break: Post Your Favorite 70s Songs...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was some seriously good music in the 70's.
The Dixie Dregs - Steve Morse, Rod Morgenstein, Andy West, Allen Sloan (now Dr. Sloan), and Mark Parrish:

The finest piece of completely improvised music that I have ever heard came out of 1973: Miles Davis' "Calypso Frelimo". I can't find a video, and wouldn't know how to upload it if I could.
Miles and his group at the time laid down a little more than an hour of pure emotion, and for the album (Get Up With It) Miles and his producer - Teo Macero - sliced and diced it down to 23 minutes or so. Davis was a trumpeter, but for the original recording session, he was so wracked with pain resulting from Sickle Cell Trait that he could not play the trumpet and so led the band from an electric organ and piano. Later, in the studio, Miles and Teo engineered a transition that required a little more emphasis, so Miles added 7 notes from the trumpet that still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and I have listened to the whole album intently at least once a year for the last 45 years.
The original recording and the version for the record are different in subtle ways, but they are both without parallel. I am only one of at least a million people who can honestly say that Miles Davis opened my ears forever.

I miss you, man!

Frank Zappa
Charlie Daniels
Marshal Tucker, I saw them live in Boise, Id. Front row.
Outlaws
Molly Hatchet
Heart. I've seen them twice.
Steely Dan
Earth, Wind and Fire
Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull
I'm sure there are others if only I could remember them.

Bridge Over Troubled Water. Yes, it's 1970. The whole decade was downhill from there. (Not without its high points; the hill goes a long way down from there, with some fine music on the way.)

A selection of ten, from 1976:

AC/DC - High Voltage
Aerosmith - Rocks
Boston - Boston
Bob Dylan - Hard Rain
Eagles - Hotel California
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Kansas - Leftoverture
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Rush - 2112
Bob Segar & the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves

A selection of ten, from 1976:

AC/DC - High Voltage
Aerosmith - Rocks
Boston - Boston
Bob Dylan - Hard Rain
Eagles - Hotel California
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Kansas - Leftoverture
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Rush - 2112
Bob Segar & the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
Finally some AC/DC and Rush.... I was beginning to wonder.

Someone mentioned Styx.....so I will add:

ZZ Top
Journey
Foreigner
Santana

70's was the best era of music ever, if for no other reason than the sheer diversity of sound. I could never list my favs, it changes any given day, so I'll focus on a couple of the key music transitions that happened in the 70's:

The end of an era:

Solidifying the next era:

Foreshadowing the next era:

Back