Music Break: Post Your Favorite 60s Songs...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry McGuire always insisted Eve of Destruction was not a protest song. History says otherwise. It was an instant hit after an unauthorized midnight release to a local radio station of a single backing track take by the Wrecking Crew.

Watch on YouTube (NSFW)

This number dedicated to my friend @boatgeek

Last edited:
Barry McGuire always insisted Eve of Destruction was not a protest song. History says otherwise. It was an instant hit after a midnight release of a single backing track take by the Wrecking Crew.

Watch on YouTube

This number dedicate to my friend @boatgeek

I think you have me confused with someone else. I had a couple of responses that I pared out since they were a little too late. But this one seems appropriate somehow.

You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin' (Backing Track)

From Wikipedia:
Various music writers have described the Righteous Brothers version as "one of the best records ever made" and "the ultimate pop record".[1] In 1999 the performing-rights organization Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) ranked the song as the most-played song on American radio and television in the 20th century, having accumulated more than 8 million airplays by 1999,[4] and nearly 15 million by 2011.[5] It held the distinction of being the most-played song for 22 years until 2019, when it was overtaken by "Every Breath You Take".[6] In 2001 the song was chosen as one of the Songs of the Century by RIAA, and in 2003 the track ranked No. 34 on the list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time by Rolling Stone. In 2015 the single was inducted into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[7]

Personal comment:
While acknowledging the overall historical and cultural significance of this song, and without denying it was one of my own youthful favorites, I present it here stripped of the lead vocals, chorus and strings. IMHO, we're now down to the seductive essence of Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, a "miniature symphony for the kids", as Spector himself described it, producing popular hit music in part by evoking emotional responses learned from studying Romantic composers such as Tchaikovsky and Wagner.

Rockabilly was a powerful influence on the rock and roll explosion of the 60's. and 70's.
Rockabilly is the earliest style of rock and roll music. It dates back to the early 1950s in the United States, especially the South. As a genre it blends the sound of Western musical styles such as country with that of rhythm and blues,[2][3] leading to what is considered "classic" rock and roll.[4] Some have also described it as a blend of bluegrass with rock and roll.[5] The term "rockabilly" itself is a portmanteau of "rock" (from "rock 'n' roll") and "hillbilly", the latter a reference to the country music (often called "hillbilly music" in the 1940s and 1950s) that contributed strongly to the style. Other important influences on rockabilly include western swing, boogie-woogie, jump blues, and electric blues.[6]

Defining features of the rockabilly sound included strong rhythms, boogie woogie piano riffs, vocal twangs, doo-wop acapella singing, and common use of the tape echo;[7] but progressive addition of different instruments and vocal harmonies led to its "dilution".[3] Initially popularized by artists such as Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, Johnny Burnette, Jerry Lee Lewis, Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash and others, the rockabilly style waned in the late 1950s. Nonetheless, during the late 1970s and early 1980s, rockabilly enjoyed a revival. An interest in the genre endures even in the 21st century, often within musical subcultures. Rockabilly has spawned a variety of sub-styles and has influenced the development of other genres such as punk rock.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockabilly#cite_note-guitar.com-7

The Walker Brothers, Make it Easy on Yourself

In a "Wall of Sound" production that would make Phil Spector jealous, we present The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore!

#1 in the UK, #13 in the US charts.

good decade

There She Goes Again - Velvet Underground

Still hearing the influence of what they did before anyone else. The Brill building pop, meets the reality of 60's NYC. Could have piked any of the songs from this album.

Have Love - Will Travel - The Sonics

They didnt write this song but made it their own - this is the foundation, set the template (with Link Wray) for punk and garage, years before the MC5 started 'kick out the jams....(you know the rest), Iggy started the stooges after hearing the Sonics and the Kinks.

Girl you'll be a woman soon Neil Diamond

Really talented guy, hard to pick between this and solitary man. Sounds more Ray Davies that 'Vegas Neil'

Prince Buster - Al Capone

Influenced all the 80's and beyond ska bands... if you dont know his songs, you have heard his riffs (Madness) being used today in songs.

Alone Again or... Love

Beautiful song, many layers, Love and Arthur Lee was under appreciated, LOTS of covers, the Dammed did a good cover of this years later.

Last edited:
I have always thought that the bass line from Penny Lane was one of the best bass lines in all of rock music, and one of the finest examples of McCartney's brilliance. Up to that point simply no one in rock music played bass lines like that; it's mesmerizing!

Return with us now to the glorious days of yesteryear, when all a guy with a decent job had to think about was his girl and his car. The music was sappy, all about love and longing. Anger, rebellion, drugs and nihilism was all still in the future.

Here is a true transcendental masterpiece of the time - You Baby, by the fabulous Ronettes!

The original Be My Baby is one of the most popular, influential and covered songs ever. Enjoy this one woman production:

Timeless antiwar masterpiece which inspired a Constitutional Amendment defies covering for some reason.

Last edited:
Ah, me old maté George. Love it.

Trivia- this is one Beatles song where Lennon is not included. He was in hospital after a car accident.
Love to hear stories of the band, which reminds me that the Library has a big book on the band. I need to stop by there and get it. Thanks.

Back