Music Break: Post Your Favorite 60s Songs...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
March 1969. I never do back then that it had to do totally with the astrological ages and the upcoming Age of Aquarius in 2156

March 1969. I never do back then that it had to do totally with the astrological ages and the upcoming Age of Aquarius in 2156

"At Number 1 for six straight weeks in the spring of 1969, their uplifting medley from Broadway’s Hair, “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In” became an anthem for an era. A few years ago McLemore wrote a memoir about his global adventures with The 5th Dimension, titled From Hobo Flats to The 5th Dimension. CultureSonar chatted with “Mac” for this big milestone."

"McLemore: It really seems like yesterday that we recorded “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In”…we were appearing in Las Vegas with Frank Sinatra, and recorded the vocals there in our limited spare time. The wonderful “Wrecking Crew” cut the instrumentals for us, beforehand, in Los Angeles."

https://www.culturesonar.com/the-fifth-dimension-the-age-of-aquarius-at-50/
https://www.culturesonar.com/these-guys-were-really-behind-the-music/

Except for Dave Brubeck's Take Five, I don't think jazz has ever been much of a commercial success. It may be the most difficult for a wide audience to appreciate. But that it is the highest form of music and the most appreciated by musicians, especially of the sixties, may be a thing.

playing jazz most of my life, I don't understand how anybody really listens to it if they don't play an instrument to understand what's going on

I was never a jazz fan, until...

My son went to high school and took up alto saxophone. Three years after starting he was on a stage in China performing a 3 minute solo in front of 1,000 people. He also plays clarinet and keyboards.

My daughter similarly took up trumpet in high school.

I got exposed to a lot of jazz by my kids and their friends. One of my son's high school friends is in a band doing quite well here in Oz.

Back