Museum of Flight, Seattle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Well, just got back home and have to remind people about the Museum of Flight in Seattle. We talked about this many times back on TRF 1.0, but for those that haven't been there - if you're in Seattle, it's a must see!

And as far as the Rocketry exhibit, they've done an absolutely great job! Not only do they have some great examples, but they also have the Harry Stine and Homer Hickam exhibit. Including Homer's medal and his signed autograph picture from Dr. Von Braun.

Of course for me, the highlight is always the WWII exhibt. Anytime I can see a Corsair, a Mustang, a Lightning, a Warhawk, and an Oscar all in one room I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Here you go. I work in Seattle, so I get to go every so often.
I posted these on the TRF1 and they got no response so I thought there was no interest.

Most of them speak for them selves, I also have photos from the non model rocket areas.

mof1.jpg

mof2.jpg

mof3.jpg

mof4.jpg

mof5.jpg

On top of the rockets. they have a great space exhibit. A kind of cheesy space shuttle simulator (Yes I landed it!) and a nice lunar lander Simulator.

I have lots more photos if anyone is interested.

mof11.jpg

mof12.jpg

mof13.jpg

mof14.jpg

mof15.jpg

Last edited:
They also have a DynaSoar cockpit mock up. Very cool indeed.

Paul Allen Donated the Personnel courage wing. This was one of the finest collections of flying WW1 and WW2 aircraft in the world. Now they are inside on display. You will never see a better collection anywhere. Not even the Air and Space museum.

Outside they have a nice collection, but the highlights are Pres Kennedy's Airforce 1, the first 747, Concord, 727, and 737.

It
is a must see for any Space/aircraft lovers.

I would rate it # 3 behind the Air and Space and Kennedy.

In the WW1 exhibit they also have a couple of nice simulators.

DSc.jpg

Well, just got back home and have to remind people about the Museum of Flight in Seattle. We talked about this many times back on TRF 1.0, but for those that haven't been there - if you're in Seattle, it's a must see!

Agreed. When the NAR Board met in Seattle in 1999, we stayed on an extra day in order to take it in. Somewhere in my files I have a pic of me testing out the mock SR-71 Blackbird cockpit.

I'm certain that Kennedy's Air Force One is in Dayton at the Air Force Museum.

I'm certain that Kennedy's Air Force One is in Dayton at the Air Force Museum.

You are correct sir, But so am I.:D

The aircraft in Seattle is a VC-137B, The one in Wright Pat is a VC-137C. I believe The one in Seattle was the primary until 1962 when the -137C was delivered. The -137C in Wright Pat (tail #26000) is generally the one associated
with Kennedy.

Thanks for reminding me about the Air Force museum. I had forgotten about it. Last time I was there was 1990. It is in the top 5 museums also.

I have lots more photos if anyone is interested.

Please do post more, I'm interested. Been reading in some of the other NASA
related forums that one of the remaining Space Shuttles, when retired, is suppose to be displayed there; my understanding is they have a spot already
reserved for the Orbiter.

Mark, I'm going back to Seattle within the next week or two. Care to meet up?

Wow, it's cool that the SR-71 has the piggyback drone, too.

Mark, I'm going back to Seattle within the next week or two. Care to meet up?

Troy,

I'll be around the morning of the 21st. Maybe the afternoon of the 17th, not sure of that day yet.

Edit:

I forgot, on top of a great aviation museum Seattle also has the Science Fiction museum, 2 nice zoo's, the space needle, a nice aquarium, and the Ballard locks. All worth seeing.

Last edited:
nice pictures, I like the Hickam rockets. He signs books through a small book store in Huntsville, and my dad sent him a photo of my Alpha III on a section of white picket fence my parents have in their back yard, right now it is signed and hanging over the computer.

Whats the black and orange Dyna Soar looking rocket? The lines look off from the Dyna Soar?

It's a X-20 dyna soar. Just a slightly earlier configuration.

I like the early Space Shuttle configurations. Some would make a nice scratch build.

Ok Cool,

get Ron Millers the Dream Machines or Dennis Jenkins Space Shuttle for three views of many of the shuttle concepts.

It's a X-20 dyna soar. Just a slightly earlier configuration.

I like the early Space Shuttle configurations. Some would make a nice scratch build.

Unfortunately, most would tend to make much better static models to look at than to fly. The ones with the orbiter up front, with all that “canard” area up front, is a stability nightmare, requiring lots and lots of weight up front to be stable like a rocket. And a need for dead-zero angle of attack alignment of orbiter wings to prevent pitch-up aerodynamic forces. The piggyback types at least do not have that problem, “just” issues of the thrustline thru the 3-D CG to prevent trust induced pitching.

- George Gassaway

To go along with that, the Flying heritage museum in Everett that Paul Allen started has a beautiful ME-163, V-1, piloted V-1 and also has a mockup of spaceship one. As for the picture of the tail half of a 2000 pound bomb, I picked that up at a swap meet last weekend also, don't ask me why, I just had to have it, still has some dzus fittings and hatches that open...

Frank

planes-rockets.jpg (4).jpg

planes-rockets.jpg (17).jpg

planes-rockets.jpg (23).jpg

planes-rockets.jpg (21).jpg

bomb.jpg.jpg

Okay, now I'm ticked! No one told me about the Flying Heritage Museum. I went to the Boeing Tour Center, but didn't know about the other Museum.:mad:

Oh well, next trip . . .

Me too,

Been working there for 17 years and never knew it was there! Hmm Everet is about 1 hr from my place. just need time now.

The Evergreen Museum in Oregon is also a good aviation museum. Their staff did an absolutely EXCELLENT job describing the aircraft. Each airplane has a description of first the general type (i.e. P-51, Corsair, etc.) followed by a detailed description of the particular aircraft on display, where it came from, how it was restored and what colors / markings it now displays.

And the Spruce Goose is there, too!

https://www.sprucegoose.org/

Back