multiple parachutes for recovering HPR booster

cls

Reaction score
hi TRF,

maybe this question should go in the "support and recovery" section instead, but I'm posting it under HPR because it's mostly HPR related.

basically: what is the best way to attach multiple parachutes to an HPR booster?

background: for aesthetic reasons I want to use 3 smaller chutes instead of one very large one. Mainly I'm concerned about tangling the chutes either before deployment or during descent. Deployment will be at apogee by altimeter although I might have some motors' delay for redundancy. I think the booster will be > 20#, it's 10" diameter so there's plenty of room - maybe too much?

Should I have 3 mount points and 3 tethers? or one mount point, 3 tethers? or one mount point and one tether, and put the 3 chutes' shrouds

how long or short should the tethers be?

I've seen swivels for HPR recovery systems but never used them - any suggestions about where to put them? I would guess between the shrouds and the tether... or should I forget about swivels?? what's your experience with swivels?

last, what's the best way to pack these puppies? maybe make some shelves or bunk-beds inside the booster airframe?!??

thanks!

Cliff

BlueNinja

Reaction score
You might be able to go with rear ejection and the tubes are just somehow coincidentally the right size for 3 motors... If you go with this you will definetly need 3 attachment points and 3 tethers. I would wait just until apogee, then deploy one chute to right the rocket and the others when it's coming down, kinda like dual deployment but not exactly.