Quantcast

Multiple listings in the For Sale section

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

byoungblood

Reaction score
Can we please ask people to combine their for sale threads? Someone currently has about two pages worth of for sale listings, most every other forum usually requires people to combine all of their for sale items into a single post.

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Normally I would agree in the why, however in this case it just seems a bit off that someone without any previous TRF posts all of a sudden has all this rocketry gear for sale in the Wanted/Forsale section.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to rain on anyone's parade as a lot of people seem to be excited about some of the offerings, however it has the feel of an ex vendor dumping old inventory vs. an ex rocketeer dumping his build pile. Having said that I am not sure that there is anything necessarily wrong with that however my take on the Wanted/Forsale section is that is not intended for commercial purposes and commercial threads should be limited to the Vendors section where they have to pay fees to be a vendor. Fair is fair.

Do a Google on the email handle of the person in question and you will see him dumping RC stuff on another forum.

byoungblood

Reaction score
Most every other forum I currently or formerly participated in usually requires people to post multiple items in a single thread. Why? Because when someone decides to dump a large number of items all at once, it buries every other ad posted.

Then factor in the individual bumping the posts for price adjustments or to mark something sold. Someone with a single post for his stuff keeps getting pushed back until said individual sells everything. Basically, they monopolize the sub-forum.

I would probably have less issue with someone creating a thread for selling parts, motor hardware, etc., and another one for the kits, but a new post for each kit and every separate lot of parts is out of hand. I think it is just simple forum etiquette to combine For Sale posts in general.

cxm

Reaction score
Normally I would agree in the why, however in this case it just seems a bit off that someone without any previous TRF posts all of a sudden has all this rocketry gear for sale in the Wanted/Forsale section.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to rain on anyone's parade as a lot of people seem to be excited about some of the offerings, however it has the feel of an ex vendor dumping old inventory vs. an ex rocketeer dumping his build pile. Having said that I am not sure that there is anything necessarily wrong with that however my take on the Wanted/Forsale section is that is not intended for commercial purposes and commercial threads should be limited to the Vendors section where they have to pay fees to be a vendor. Fair is fair.

Do a Google on the email handle of the person in question and you will see him dumping RC stuff on another forum.
You are talking about ME. OK.
Sorry, not a vendor or hobby store. Just a guy who reached a point in his life where he realizes he is not going to get to all the stuff he bought, and does not want so much stuff around anymore. Will probably have the last of my rocket stuff I want to sell listed by the end of the day.

cxm

Reaction score
Most every other forum I currently or formerly participated in usually requires people to post multiple items in a single thread. Why? Because when someone decides to dump a large number of items all at once, it buries every other ad posted.

Then factor in the individual bumping the posts for price adjustments or to mark something sold. Someone with a single post for his stuff keeps getting pushed back until said individual sells everything. Basically, they monopolize the sub-forum.

I would probably have less issue with someone creating a thread for selling parts, motor hardware, etc., and another one for the kits, but a new post for each kit and every separate lot of parts is out of hand. I think it is just simple forum etiquette to combine For Sale posts in general.
Ok. The reason for making seperate posts is to keep track of things, and to mark them sold when they are sold, and to whom.
As far as burying other's posts...they are free to bump them up above mine if they feel that they are being buried. Fine by me.
I just looked...there is actually only ONE new post for something to sell in the last day. One. That person has not complained.
Have YOU had a problem with this?
Not sure where every other forum has a rule or etiquette that you need to list everything in one post...never seen anything of the sort. Do not see it in the rules here.
I do see plenty of other rules being violated...people have come into my threads and disrupted them, with all sorts of speculation, inference, and invective. I do not report them. I feel like I am not the internet police, and if a post is not directly harming me, it's not worth a lot of discussion. Besides...half of the "caveat emptor" posts online are dead wrong. As you saw with the ones about me. several people posted already they got what they paid for, and since at least one of you went through the trouble to research me, you found I have a very good (perfect) reputation over on RCgroups selling off a lot of my RC gear.
So...this is just how the internet is. Haters are always going to hate.
I did you guys no harm, but for whatever reason, you want to harm me.
OK. That's just how it is. But in the meanwhile...OTHERS are buying fun stuff from me at very cheap prices, and you will not. That's fine.

DAllen

Reaction score
No. What cxm is doing is fine. I've been on those types of forums where literally hundreds of transactions are being made every few days. And yes, those forums need strict rules regarding when threads can be bumped, how often, when items need to be combined, etc. This is not one of those forums. What is cxm is doing is a bit of anomaly and does not happen often. If there were 10 other users doing the same thing all year round then yes some new rules need to be implemented. Otherwise, let's just leave well enough alone.

cxm

Reaction score
No. What cxm is doing is fine. I've been on those types of forums where literally hundreds of transactions are being made every few days. And yes, those forums need strict rules regarding when threads can be bumped, how often, when items need to be combined, etc. This is not one of those forums. What is cxm is doing is a bit of anomaly and does not happen often. If there were 10 other users doing the same thing all year round then yes some new rules need to be implemented. Otherwise, let's just leave well enough alone.
Literally....there was ONE post in the last 24 hours besides mine. ONE. And it was not from byoungblood. On the other hand, I sold and shipped a whole bunch of rockets to people who will be happy. But for some reason...there always needs to be SOMEONE who wants to make sure nobody else has a good time. Kinda sad, but that's just how it is.
To be frank...I know how the internet is, but I am actually a little surprised at how many badly behaved people there are on this board. More than usual. Not a majority ,mind you...most have been great...but the amount of people who feel they have to stick there to cents in...and how nasty some of them have been....well....it's surprising.
When you get older, and you have been on the internet for a long time...you learn that you don't always need to post.
Sometimes it's better to do what Abraham Lincoln used to do...he would write a long angry letter...then throw it out.
Probably what I should have done with THIS response!

djkingsley

Reaction score
I am one of the happy people, I checked out cxm before I sent my money, one of the images clearly showed a home workshop. Item arrived in good condition.

cxm

Reaction score
Me, personally...I do not care if I am buying from or selling to a business or a flipper or whatever. What you do with the stuff after you buy it from me is no problem. Sell it at a profit, no sweat. It's yours. I KNOW I am selling stuff for really cheap and can get more for it, I just want to sell with the least effort, not for the most money.
Same with buying stuff...I don't care where you got it...if I want it, and the price is fine, I'll buy it...
I get a lot of messages from people who are trying to hide the fact that they want to buy everything for nothing and resell it...I do not care...
And a few from guys trying to ascertain where I got the stuff...so they can say I am a dealer and try to stop me from selling...which is pretty sad...I am a hobbyist...and the stuff comes from my attic. And I have been building rockets since about 1975.
But again...there are just those who need to tear stuff down. That's the internet for you.

tomsteve

Reaction score
somewhere today a senior had to decide whether to buy their prescriptions or but their food.
somewhere today a parent was told their child has cancer.
somewhere today a parent held their child as they took their last breath.

please, tell us again what a problem it is that someone posts items seperatly and what bad etiquette it is.
i once was mad because i had no shoes until i saw a man who had no feet.

cxm

Reaction score
It's NOT "forum etiquette." Perhaps it's something else? You know...when I see others that have more than me...I don't get mad. I feel relieved. I find too many posessions a real burden these days.
But you have the right perspective. I read stuff on the internet all the time that is just plain WRONG. Let's say...about HALF of what I read. It's really weeing to windward to try to "fix" the internet...if it does not directly create a problem for you...why not just let it go?

Say...that fella with no feet...why not have him give you HIS shoes? He does not need them anymore, right?

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't buy anything from cxm, but the way he has posted different items separately has made it much easier for me to watch than wading through one large listing. I prefer it.

cxm

Reaction score
It's certainly a lot easier to keep track of things from MY end that way, too.

cxm

Reaction score
I give up on combining shipping. Same fee guys giving me a headache over it. I'll take it! But later! If I can get a huge discount on the shipping so yours mobey! In the meanwhile, I want you to hold the items until I really decide what I want!
enough already. Keep it simple.

cxm

Reaction score
Context is important here, too. Were I selling things for full retail, it would be different. But I am selling stuff for beans. Most guys get that. One guy who bought five lots or so...I asked him if he wanted a shipping discount. He refused. Said it was a good enough deal as is. I can relate...if I see a good deal I don't negotiate, I pay and consider myself lucky rather than greedy.

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Sorry, not a vendor or hobby store. Just a guy who reached a point in his life where he realizes he is not going to get to all the stuff he bought, and does not want so much stuff around anymore. Will probably have the last of my rocket stuff I want to sell listed by the end of the day.
Yes and fair enough.

I did you guys no harm, but for whatever reason, you want to harm me.
Why do you believe that I wish you harm, I do not know you and you have no bearing on my life, or are you just being disingenuous, trying to play the victim and vilifying me in the process. My interest was protecting the vendors who give back to our community.

cxm

Reaction score
Seems like YOU (not as much as some others) tried to villify ME. Why you would say I am a hobby store "dumping" stuff instead of a hobbyist is beyond me. And not true. And pure speculation. And it would not affect professional vendors here anyway. Did those vendors ask for your protection? Have any of them complained? Then why would you get yourself involved?
I have learned over the years...and I know I am repeating myself...to NOT get involved with things I have no direct experience with. On the internet...fully half of the warnings and lynch mobs are DEAD WRONG. Like in this case.

AHansom

Reaction score
Selling all your stuff at good prices is fine and I have even looked at quite a few items.
I am amazed that to have so much on hand in your work shop you must be a real model rocket, R/C kind of person. Since your newly registered here I was just wondering a little about your involvement in the hobby and some insight about you. How long have you been interested in the hobby? Whats your favorite rocket? Where do you launch at? Are you involved with any rocketry clubs?

Thanks
Andy

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I too am curious. With some of these kits dating way back, I'm a little more than curious to your age range.
You have had most of the stuff I need for my collections, but I'm poor and broke until my SSD starts.
I got word earlier this week my hearing is in May. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Selling all your stuff at good prices is fine and I have even looked at quite a few items.
I am amazed that to have so much on hand in your work shop you must be a real model rocket, R/C kind of person. Since your newly registered here I was just wondering a little about your involvement in the hobby and some insight about you. How long have you been interested in the hobby? Whats your favorite rocket? Where do you launch at? Are you involved with any rocketry clubs?

Thanks
Andy

cxm

Reaction score

Thanks
Andy
Been involved since the Seventies. I don't fly much these days, but I still like to build. No clubs.
Surprised at people saying how much stuff I have...my collection is TINY compared to many others I have seen.

lawndartman

Reaction score
I have bought several items from CXM in this go around. All sales went smooth. Boxes have been arriving in a timely manor. I have no bitch. In my book, AOK. Tim Thomas L3

cxm

Reaction score
Tim has been nothing but awesome to deal with. No fuss.

byoungblood

Reaction score
It's certainly a lot easier to keep track of things from MY end that way, too.
So apparently common courtesy, as it is said, isn't that common. It is a public forum, and just because it is easier for you doesn't mean you should do it.

I'll grant you that creating some multi-page for sale ad can be hard to keep up with. But I don't think it would have been too much to ask for you to try to combine at least some of the listings instead of listing every single item separately. You can fit quite a bit into a single post. As it stands, you've consumed about 3 pages of the for sale section to list one item (or small lot) at a time.

It doesn't matter how much traffic this site has it is inconsiderate to everyone else trying to buy or sell stuff here to monopolize the FS forum in the way you have.

cxm

Reaction score
When three different people tell you you are drunk, maybe you should sit down.
In other words...multiple people have told you you are wrong, perhaps you should at least RECONSIDER your opinion, rather than just restating it.
You should at least CONSIDER that you may be in the wrong. But I think you have not.

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
When three different people tell you you are drunk, maybe you should sit down.
In other words...multiple people have told you you are wrong, perhaps you should at least RECONSIDER your opinion, rather than just restating it.
You should at least CONSIDER that you may be in the wrong. But I think you have not.
cxm I think you are living in a dream world and need a dose of reality.

The only reason that anyone is putting up with your poor bedside manner and intolerance is because you are offering up some apparently desirable kits for a good price, and you are delivering as agreed.

However I can assure you that intolerant people on TRF don't last and once your optimistic "build pile" is depleted and you have nothing further to offer your attitude will be less welcome. Of course you may learn to be a bit more tolerant of others but I suspect not. My bet is that you fade away and come back at a later date under a new pseudonym to sell more of your build pile, or hopefully you just go away.

cxm

Reaction score
cxm I think you are living in a dream world and need a dose of reality.

The only reason that anyone is putting up with your poor bedside manner and intolerance is because you are offering up some apparently desirable kits for a good price, and you are delivering as agreed.

However I can assure you that intolerant people on TRF don't last and once your optimistic "build pile" is depleted and you have nothing further to offer your attitude will be less welcome. Of course you may learn to be a bit more tolerant of others but I suspect not. My bet is that you fade away and come back at a later date under a new pseudonym to sell more of your build pile, or hopefully you just go away.
My bedside manner is fine.
I think what you mean is that I was supposed to bow down and pay fealty to the board regulars, because they post a lot...or change what I am doing because some guy has his own misguided notion of "board etiquette", or that I am just going to knuckle over and apologize for nothing to people who are not buying anything and have too much time on their hands...

SORRY. No.

I came here...very clearly...as you said...to sell of some of my collection.
Nowhere in the rules does it say I need to do this or that in order to post my stuff for sale.
Someone...NOT YOU...owns this board and makes the rules. If they have something to say about me, I am all ears.
As many posted above...the OP was wrong, Period.
And if he really had a problem...he could simply have bumped his own "for sale" post up. Or asked ME to do it for him, for that matter!
I have not lost any sales due to my "bedside manner." I have actually weeded out some people I would not want to sell to.
And it has been my experience that those who make posts and complaints like this WERE NOT BUYING ANYTHING ANYWAY.
At any rate...pretty much everything I wanted to sell for now is SOLD.
If I come back to sell more...it will CERTAINLY not be under another name...I have nothing to apologize for, and now that people know me, and the fact that I give and tolerate little BS, and I deliver exactly what I say, next time around it will be easier.
But that's pretty much it for now.
I know...you were thinking I was going to buy in to your stuff about how my lack of tolerance for routine internet forum crap, jealousy, and bloviation was going to hurt my sales...well...you were wrong. It has not.
I'm fine. The people who actually bought stuff are fine. No problems with THEM at all.

lawndartman

Reaction score
Thanks for selling your stuff here. There are always other places to sell. I hope you will be back... Tim

cxm

Reaction score
Thanks for selling your stuff here. There are always other places to sell. I hope you will be back... Tim
It's all good. I'm just bloviating, too, myself, and this stuff does not really bother me, or affect my sales. As you well know!

I would sell here again if I want to sell stuff for cheap...it's free and pretty easy.
I can always sell for much more on Ebay, but that is much more work, and has a different set of problems...you pays your money and you takes your chances, as Popeye said.
I have no real complaints about being here...just talking...same as these other guys are. Does not really mean much.