• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Multiple Eggfinder GPS sets for sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHaase

Reaction score
We made a club decision to start shifting toward RDF systems instead of GPS, to align closer with our neighboring clubs, so a couple of us decided to sell off our Eggfinder stuff to go toward funding the purchases for the club.
I've got a pair of pre-assembled Eggfinder sets for sale. I won't be shipping batteries with these, as I don't want to mess with all the requirements for shipping LiPo's.

Set #1: -----SOLD-----
1x Eggfinder transmitter (Rev B4 board). With 29mm sled of my own design.
1x Eggfinder LCD receiver with GPS module.
This set is flight tested without any recovery incidents.

Set #2: —— Sold ——
2x Egginder mini transmitters, current revision.
2x LabRat 29mm sleds for the transmitter
1x Eggfinder LCD with GPS module and bluetooth module in a custom 3D printed case.
This set has not yet flown, ground tested only.

Last edited:
Nice setups if you ask me.

Quick question though about the club choice. Is it that your rockets don't fly as far that RDF works as well for the club as GPS trackers?

Do you have an economical source of RDF transmitters? I do Ham radio so building/buying small tracking transmitters is an option for me as is the fact I was able to buy an attenuator kit for my Yagi antennas for the 2 meter and 70cm band. I have a couple of small tracker kits by Marvin White that cost me $20.00 on the 2 meter band. I did a search and it appears they are unavailable now.

Some of the commercial RDF stuff as I recall is pretty pricey and the advantages of GPS is it became cheaper at least in the 33cm/900Mhz band.

It's curious to see a club change from GPS to RDF although I have to admit, I've had fun tracking rockets with my homemade RDF transmitters that puts out a beep every second and my callsign every 10 minutes, homemade attenuator, commercial Yagi antenna and H/T. (Though in trying to fly a full sized 2 meter dipole antenna entails using a very loooooooong rocket!) :) Has great range though on low power!

There is an advantage to GPS tracking in rocketry while using the 2 meter or 70cm bands in that there is the prospect of better range. In reality, I and most fliers will never, ever have a flight to those extremes so GPS or actually RDF (with a little more gigging!) will get the rocket back.

Ummmmm, hardware requirements for RDF: Transmitter, receiver, attenuator and Yagi antenna. GPS requires transmitter and compatible receiver. GPS has the option of piping the data to an Android device or laptop for live map tracking depending upon the system used.

Kurt Savegnago a.k.a. KC9LDH

Not directly related to the sale but you got my curiosity up. Why the switch from GPS to RDF? It was my understanding that they'd work very well together and it isn't an either/or kind of thing. I understand the sale to raise money but not dropping one in favor of the other.

(ignore all this, Kurt basically asked the same stuff while I was typing it up)

Nice setups if you ask me.

Quick question though about the club choice. Is it that your rockets don't fly as far that RDF works as well for the club as GPS trackers?

Do you have an economical source of RDF transmitters? I do Ham radio so building/buying small tracking transmitters is an option for me as is the fact I was able to buy an attenuator kit for my Yagi antennas for the 2 meter and 70cm band. I have a couple of small tracker kits by Marvin White that cost me $20.00 on the 2 meter band. I did a search and it appears they are unavailable now.

Some of the commercial RDF stuff as I recall is pretty pricey and the advantages of GPS is it became cheaper at least in the 33cm/900Mhz band.

It's curious to see a club change from GPS to RDF although I have to admit, I've had fun tracking rockets with my homemade RDF transmitters that puts out a beep every second and my callsign every 10 minutes, homemade attenuator, commercial Yagi antenna and H/T. (Though in trying to fly a full sized 2 meter dipole antenna entails using a very loooooooong rocket!) :) Has great range though on low power!

There is an advantage to GPS tracking in rocketry while using the 2 meter or 70cm bands in that there is the prospect of better range. In reality, I and most fliers will never, ever have a flight to those extremes so GPS or actually RDF (with a little more gigging!) will get the rocket back.

Ummmmm, hardware requirements for RDF: Transmitter, receiver, attenuator and Yagi antenna. GPS requires transmitter and compatible receiver. GPS has the option of piping the data to an Android device or laptop for live map tracking depending upon the system used.

Kurt Savegnago a.k.a. KC9LDH

Well, it's more that a couple of us are selling some of our personal GPS pieces to fund the RDF purchase for the club. This will make tracking more available to everybody that flies with us. The system we are looking at matches what nearby clubs already have, and the transmitters are significantly smaller which makes it possible for people without avionics bays to mount them.

At the moment none of us are flying more than 5,000-6,000ft but we're surrounded by beans and corn, so we needed to find the best way to get as much tracking on as many rockets as possible. We're not giving up on GPS by any means, just that a couple of us were willing to temporarily sacrifice our personal capabilities to support the group as a whole.

-Hans

At this point everything has been sold.

Last edited:
Back