Multi Stage Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coincidence but I am just now ready to paint my detail also. I will test fly mine primed in about 2 weeks and plan to post video !!
Also, there is a guy in Cleveland. Galactic manufacturing, that supplies a beautiful 3d printed sturdy escape launch tower scaffold one piece fits perfectly if you ever need one.

Clear Coat Prior To Decal Application

I thought the LEM adapter needed some more details so I took a pencil and laid out the individual sections.

Then used Rustoleum Crystal Clear Gloss on the entire rocket. It was another windy and cool day... so I had to use our woodshed as a windbreak.

It doesn't have the fine detail that store bought kits have, but for a hand / scratch build, she wears her colors proud.

001.JPG

004.JPG005.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great.
Thanks... Being a child of the 1960's & a rocketry fella... I almost had to build a Saturn V, right? All those hours, pouring over every bit of information available, hanging onto every broadcast. It was so exciting even Mom, Dad and my sister thought it was cool.

While I'm the only one of the family still around, I think this one's got enough "adventurous innards" to make it a lasting memory too. "To the moon, Alice, to the moon— You're going soon, Alice, to the moon."

It was another windy and cool day... so I had to use our woodshed as a windbreak.
Are you seriously saying that you took your beautiful rocket "out to the wood shed"?
It doesn't have the fine detail that store bought kits have, but for a hand / scratch build, she wears her colors proud
Hell yes, it does.

"To the moon, Alice, to the moon— You're going soon, Alice, to the moon."
Aha, that's it! Call the rocket "Alice".

Last edited:
Clear Coat Prior To Decal Application

I thought the LEM adapter needed some more details so I took a pencil and laid out the individual sections.

Then used Rustoleum Crystal Clear Gloss on the entire rocket. It was another windy and cool day... so I had to use our woodshed as a windbreak.

It doesn't have the fine detail that store bought kits have, but for a hand / scratch build, she wears her colors proud.

Nice, doing my Saturn V, used a fine point black flair pen for capsule detail. Will post
soon

Looks great! I admire anyone who is good/brave enough to spray paint roll patterns I've never managed to get good lines that way.

Mylar Streamer R&D

I bought some "Scare Tape" to use as streamers for the 3rd and 4th stages. The tape reminds me of "Spectrum Tape" that was available in the late 1970's.

I took a short piece of the tape outside and clipped it to a tree branch to see how well it reflected the sunlight. Holy schnikeys... this should be just the ticket to help track those small stages.

The plan is to Z-fold it, as previously discussed. The tape is Mylar, 0.001" thick x 2" wide. Folding it over you can easily burnish the fold with your fingernail and it sets the fold line into the Mylar.

000.JPG00A.JPG001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Last edited:
Mylar Streamer R&D

I bought same "Scare Tape" to use as streamers for the 3rd and 4th stages. The tape reminds me of "Spectrum Tape" that was available in the late 1970's.

I took a short piece of the tape outside and clipped it to a tree branch to see how well it reflected the sunlight. Holy schnikeys... this should be just the ticket to help track those small stages.

The plan is to Z-fold it, as previously discussed. The tape is Mylar, 0.001" thick x 2" wide. Folding it over you can easily burnish the fold with your fingernail and it sets the fold line into the Mylar.

I'm going to have to grab some of that. Growing up, a handful of the dirt track racers in our area used a similar material for the numbers on the car. Some had the 'engine turned' squares about 1", while others were 1/4". The effect of the smaller pattern on the track under the lights was great.

Additive Aerospace's decal has some prismatic method that is so small that I can't see the prismatic element at all, just all rainbow. Pretty cool looking.

Can't wait to see the flight!

Decals

The decal set I used, as previously discussed, is from Tango Papa: set #251-0405. It is a scaled up version of the decal set from Estes Industries PN 37038.

To locate the decals I used the Estes decal placement instructions, as well as the Apogee Components 1/70 Apollo Kit instructions, and the data that @Ez2cDave provided.

I had to make one change, due to the 2nd stage vent hole locations. I located he "UNITED STATES" decals 45 degrees from the fins, not aligned with the fins. Most folks wouldn't notice this... but I'm betting a bunch of Saturn V fanatics on this site will. I would have caught this if I had added the paint scheme to my CAD model.... lesson learned.

001.JPG
002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG

Last edited:
Mylar Streamer R&D

I bought some "Scare Tape" to use as streamers for the 3rd and 4th stages. The tape reminds me of "Spectrum Tape" that was available in the late 1970's.

I've learned in using scare tape for a lot of streamers that it very often cuts itself in flight. It's highly visible, but I've often seen two sections of it gradually drifting apart and have to guess by the decent rate which one has rocket parts attached to it.

I still recommend it, because it's extremely easy to spot when you launch a rocket down-sun, but I now consider each streamer I make with it to be a single use item.

I've learned in using scare tape for a lot of streamers that it very often cuts itself in flight. It's highly visible, but I've often seen two sections of it gradually drifting apart and have to guess by the decent rate which one has rocket parts attached to it.

I still recommend it, because it's extremely easy to spot when you launch a rocket down-sun, but I now consider each streamer I make with it to be a single use item.

Thanks for the 411. That seems to be a characteristic of Mylar (PET) with a cut edge. Any imperfections, nicks, and it tears easily.

Questions:
Are you using the factory width or cutting the strip width yourself?​
What type of scare tape are you using?​

I was initially going to cut my own streamer from a Mylar space blanket, but it tears so easily I abandoned that for the raw material.

The "UGold" Scare Tape I purchased has very smooth edges, likely cut with a hot knife. It's also thicker (0.001") than the Mylar (PET) blanket material (0.0007" ish).

Last edited:
Questions:
Are you using the factory width or cutting the strip width yourself?​
What type of scare tape are you using?​
I'm using the same Ugold tape as you, as it was the widest I could find easily on Amazon. I'm not cutting it laterally, just using scissors to cut it to length.

4th Stage Motor Add-Ons

I picked up a pack of 1/2A3-4T motors today. I had planned to go with 1/3A3-3T.. but these will work just fine.

The 4th stage is rear eject with streamer recovery. I glued a piece of BT-3 to the motor, added an upper spool ring and added masking tape to the bottom of the motor to adapt it to the 3rd stage BT-20 CHAD staging tube.

I did a mockup of the streamer and test fitted the sub-assy into the 4th stage and 3rd stage.

Looks like it's going to work well.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG 006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG

Last edited:
That will be exciting. :)
I was going to say it's either going to be a good flight or a great flight, but this is really a great flight either way.

(From a local rocketeer: A good flight is when your rocket does what it's supposed to. A bad flight is when your rocket doesn't. A great flight is when someone else's rocket doesn't do what it's supposed to.)

Dern the spin, it's got the base drag hacks! Yackety Hack, don't talk back.

The swing tests don't lie. It's a zoot suit riot. Long live the King of Swing!

The mountain man knows the stability of the Minie ball. Can take down the elk at long range. Good eatin'! Good flyin'!

Last edited:
Dern the spin, it's got the base drag hacks! Yackety Hack, don't talk back.

The swing tests don't lie. It's a zoot suit riot. Long live the King of Swing!

The mountain man knows the stability of the Minie ball. Can take down the elk at long range. Good eatin'! Good flyin'!
Jeremiah told me "Go Hawken, or go home"

Back