Multi Rocket Launch System

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmendez

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice / guidance here. Looking to Build a Multi Rocket Wireless Launch Controller for a Cub Scout Pack. We have a controller that is currently wired that was inherited from another group that has been cut and spliced so many times that it is not always reliable. We are looking to go wireless as it will be less cumbersome for storage / transport and hoping to have at minimum 4 launch pads that can be fired off the controller with separate launch buttons.

By the time you source all the necessary parts for LC box and Pad box, you may as well purchase a ready made unit that just works very very well. Wilson F/X wired and wireless launch control systems.

https://wilsonfx.com/
Edit:
Please excuse my rather pragmatic initial response to your request for advice. However, my response was based on several years of designing and building wired and wireless launch controllers. Our club has been using these controllers for many years. Due to the growth in the club, it got to the point that we needed a more versatile and expandable system.

The initial launch system the club used was a fully wired 8 channel design with an 8 pad control box multicore-cabled to two 4-channel relay-based pad boxes. When we started launching higher powered rockets using up to L motors, we needed to use much longer cables to the far pads. With at least three pad distances to cover, the cabling became a pain. So, we added RF modules to the controller and pad boxes. This system made it so much easier to set up and use.

However, we were still limited to 8 pads! We needed more. 12 -16 channels is what we were going to need. I was contemplating the additional cost of building the extra channels but quickly decided that that was not very practical. Just to give you an idea of what the cost was for our initial 8-channel wired system, if I recall, was about US$500 to build. Then I added the RF modules for an extra US$200. You could do it more cheaply, but the system might not be very robust, secure and reliable.

You are looking at building a wireless system that has at least 4 channels, but you are very likely to need more sooner or later. I can imagine that your group is not sufficiently cashed up to allow you to spend too much in one hit. However, if you were able to purchase a commercial 4-pad system that is easily expandable to, say, an 8-pad system, or more, at a later stage, then you can spread the cost over time.

Obviously, we don't know your group's details and how you operate with regard to launching model rockets. If your group is in a position to become a Tripoli prefecture, you could then take advantage of the annual TRA prefecture improvement program which can provide up to US$500 for the prefecture. However, this might be a step too far if your group is small and you are only launching low power from a local field. The advantage of this way forward is that you then have insurance cover for your launching that you might not already have.

If you have a technically qualified or experienced person in your group, or have access to someone who is, then they could design and build a wired system initially, that could then at a later stage be easily converted to a wireless system, and also have more pads added when finances allow. This is very doable, but you do need to design it carefully, with expandability in mind. This can keep costs down, but as I mentioned earlier, you can end up paying as much as you would for a commercial system that works straight out of the box and is extremely reliable and expandable.

I would be happy to supply the design details of our old 8-pad club system. You could then assess whether your expenditure on components is within your group's budget. Send me a PM if you want the design schematics. I can send the details of the wired and wireless system, including pictures of the complete system. In my opinion, though, you would be better off with an expandable commercial 4-pad system, as I suggested originally.

In fact, here is a link to our old system that I had for sale some time ago https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/8-channel-wireless-cabled-launch-control-system.169904/

Good luck and clear skies!

Last edited:
I am looking for some advice / guidance here. Looking to Build a Multi Rocket Wireless Launch Controller for a Cub Scout Pack. We have a controller that is currently wired that was inherited from another group that has been cut and spliced so many times that it is not always reliable. We are looking to go wireless as it will be less cumbersome for storage / transport and hoping to have at minimum 4 launch pads that can be fired off the controller with separate launch buttons.
DARS has been using pretty much the same design for more than twenty years. Details may change but the basic setup is the same. A controller for six pads cables, and launch rails. Wired.

See my additional information to my earlier reply in #2

What is your budget?
Low power only, A through E motors?
I am going out of pocket for this so I want to do something that will be safe but affordable.
Low power only and we have been using C motors. For safety we do not want to add too many launch pads.

By the time you source all the necessary parts for LC box and Pad box, you may as well purchase a ready made unit that just works very very well. Wilson F/X wired and wireless launch control systems.

https://wilsonfx.com/
Edit:
Please excuse my rather pragmatic initial response to your request for advice. However, my response was based on several years of designing and building wired and wireless launch controllers. Our club has been using these controllers for many years. Due to the growth in the club, it got to the point that we needed a more versatile and expandable system.

The initial launch system the club used was a fully wired 8 channel design with an 8 pad control box multicore-cabled to two 4-channel relay-based pad boxes. When we started launching higher powered rockets using up to L motors, we needed to use much longer cables to the far pads. With at least three pad distances to cover, the cabling became a pain. So, we added RF modules to the controller and pad boxes. This system made it so much easier to set up and use.

However, we were still limited to 8 pads! We needed more. 12 -16 channels is what we were going to need. I was contemplating the additional cost of building the extra channels but quickly decided that that was not very practical. Just to give you an idea of what the cost was for our initial 8-channel wired system, if I recall, was about US$500 to build. Then I added the RF modules for an extra US$200. You could do it more cheaply, but the system might not be very robust, secure and reliable.

You are looking at building a wireless system that has at least 4 channels, but you are very likely to need more sooner or later. I can imagine that your group is not sufficiently cashed up to allow you to spend too much in one hit. However, if you were able to purchase a commercial 4-pad system that is easily expandable to, say, an 8-pad system, or more, at a later stage, then you can spread the cost over time.

Obviously, we don't know your group's details and how you operate with regard to launching model rockets. If your group is in a position to become a Tripoli prefecture, you could then take advantage of the annual TRA prefecture improvement program which can provide up to US$500 for the prefecture. However, this might be a step too far if your group is small and you are only launching low power from a local field. The advantage of this way forward is that you then have insurance cover for your launching that you might not already have.

If you have a technically qualified or experienced person in your group, or have access to someone who is, then they could design and build a wired system initially, that could then at a later stage be easily converted to a wireless system, and also have more pads added when finances allow. This is very doable, but you do need to design it carefully, with expandability in mind. This can keep costs down, but as I mentioned earlier, you can end up paying as much as you would for a commercial system that works straight out of the box and is extremely reliable and expandable.

I would be happy to supply the design details of our old 8-pad club system. You could then assess whether your expenditure on components is within your group's budget. Send me a PM if you want the design schematics. I can send the details of the wired and wireless system, including pictures of the complete system. In my opinion, though, you would be better off with an expandable commercial 4-pad system, as I suggested originally.

In fact, here is a link to our old system that I had for sale some time ago https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/8-channel-wireless-cabled-launch-control-system.169904/

Good luck and clear skies!
It is a smaller group. We only launch a few times a year during weekend events and for safety we do not want to have too many launch pads and we launch using low power. I do see a benefit to acquiring a commercially built unit however we would like to build one ourselves and customize it.

I had an idea to do that, but my kid aged out of Cub Scouts before we got around to it. We did make our own launch rail for five rods, and the scouts helped with parts of the building process in putting it together. I used the little metal hiking stick medallions from the scout shop for each rank as a decoration for each rod, and painted the Arrow of Light across the front support. Here are some pictures, and one launch in action, we were just using individual Estes controllers so each scout could operate their own rocket.

With the wingnuts you can break it down, or just release one side of the A-frame support and those are hinged to fold the saw horse flat. The rods are drilled in to the top wood beam just friction fit, but the whole top beam can be tilted.
DSC_5776.JPGDSC_5777.jpgDSC_5778.jpgDSC_5779.jpgDSC_5780.jpgDSC_5781.jpgDSC_5782.jpgWP_20140620_19_12_32_Pro.jpg

Here's what I recommend using the eMyLo modules and 1 additional 12 volt auto relay for a wireless low power launcher.
1656631087424.png
1656562165967.png
Provides single or multiple pad selection.
MR1-6 are the contacts in the eMyLo modules.
RL2 is an auto relay with 20 amp contacts that fire the ignitors.
M1-M4 represent a simple modification to the eMyLo modules to provide visual confirmation when a pad is selected.
All LEDs shown have built in resistors to simplify construction.
Controller can be easily modified as a wired controller.

Last edited:
Quick question, when you hit the continuity button for one pad, does the LED for all the pads show continuity and does the beeper sound if any pad has continuity? That was an issue I had with a fully wired controller with a similar schematic.

Short answer NO.
The blue LEDs only indicate when a pad is selected are not connected in any fashion with the continuity buttons.
When the beeper sounds it's only indicating continuity for that pad. The four momentary open push button switches isolate all pads.

Here's what I recommend using the eMyLo modules and 1 additional 12 volt auto relay for a wireless low power launcher.
View attachment 525066
View attachment 524920
Provides single or multiple pad selection.
MR1-6 are the contacts in the eMyLo modules.
RL2 is an auto relay with 20 amp contacts that fire the ignitors.
M1-M4 represent a simple modification to the eMyLo modules to provide visual confirmation when a pad is selected.
All LEDs shown have built in resistors to simplify construction.
Controller can be easily modified as a wired controller.
Thank you.

Back