MSRS Launch 03272010

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
The Memphis TN areas Mid-South Rocket Society was kind enough to invite Trudy and I to their launch on Saturday. When Marie contacted us, her invite ran something like this:
"We are having a 100 child launch on Saturday and would like to see you there. The local youth have access to basic Estes kits but we would like them to be exposed to something different, something a little less ordinary."

My first reaction was to wonder what motor class one would use to launch a child.
:confused:
But like any other motor/projectile question, it really only depends on diameter, mass and motor size, so I didn't ask.
We were very pleased to receive such an invite, after all our stock and trade are kits that are different and out of the ordinary.

The event was a youth centered and included contests, drag races and general good times for all.

Here are a couple of photos of the check-in line and all the happy faces:
overview_1515.jpg

It wasn't visible in the photo, but on the way to Memphis Trudy had drawn a Commander Willy's Red Rocket on the white banner on the tall pole. It looks great!

preflight_1514.jpg

preflight_1512.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the event coordinator, I believe his name was Bill:
(If I am mistaken about Bill's name, someone please speak up)
:blush:

Bill_1511.jpg

Unfortunately, the autofocus on my Nikon and I were not getting along so a majority of the photos came out blurry.

One of which is the Drag Race lift-off:
Dragrace_1566.jpg

And they are off!
dragrace_1567.jpg

We missed the name of the winner, so if someone would post the winners name we would be grateful.

Last edited:
This young man had a rough day....
If took about four attempts to launch his rocket, but when it finally get off the pad if took a core-sample.
He took the bad news like a champ.

badday_1537.jpg

Here is an Astrocam launched by a young man that kept us company for most of the afternoon.
Once again, I didn't write down the name so I forgot it like all the rest I didn't write down.

astrocam_1562.jpg

astrocam_1563.jpg

Trudy got into the spirit of things by striking a dance pose in front of a plethora of rockets brought by our hosts.

dancestance_1518.jpg

Unfortunately the wind was whipping pretty well so they didn't fly any of these dab boys.

He is the Binder Design stealth looking beast that Trudy was standing in front of.
Very cool looking....

hostbinder_1516.jpg

One of the more entertaining flights of the day was this fellow on a G18.
g18_1573.jpg

g18_1574.jpg

g18_1577.jpg

As luck would have it I lost track of the rocket before the flight got interesting. SHortly after the last shot it nosed over and came in ballistic not too far from the flight line.
:shock:
It stuck nose down in the soft soil and continued to smoke as the delay charge burnt. Then, on cue, the ejection charge blew the rocket out of the ground and a laugh was had by all.

Our gracious hosts asked us to launch a couple of rockets as a demo for the kids, so first up was the Screamin' Green Meenie', proudly displaying the new decal we include with the kit.

sgm_1538.jpg

The decal was produced by StickerShock, who does great work.

Up and away on a D12-3!!!!
sgm_1541.jpg

And a safe recovery:
sgm_1546.jpg

Last edited:
Next up was the King Kraken!
kk_1539.jpg

Since the wind was so brisk this was about the only choice I had for MPR, most of the flyable models on hand had way too much fin area for a reliable flight.
The KK displays the new decal we now include with the kit. Once again it is produced by Stickershock.

Lift off on a Road Runner G80-4
kk_1550.jpg

And away!
kk_1551.jpg

Here is the second flight on a G64-4

kk_1581.jpg

Most of the young flyers had never seen anything larger than a C motor, so they were very impressed by the performance of the G motors.

Last edited:
And finally, I was lucky enough to have my very own retrieval team to fetch my rockets after recovery. Here they are!
sgm_1599.jpg

Back