MS Paint fantasy rocket design contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut

Reaction score
Heres and idea, everyone (Windows users) has MS Paint in their accessories section. Its easy to mock up tubes and fins and cones in it. Fire it up, spend 5 mintues and make a fantasy rocket design.

Heres one I did during lunch. I've been messing with the old Centuri kits recently, so this is my what if for one of their larger fantasy "Super Kits", The Cygnus X-1 . I'm thinking 24" tall, up to a C6 motor, 12-14" chute.

Waddya think?

Lugnut

Originally posted by JRThro
I think you can draw a heck of a lot better in MS Paint than I ever could!
:)

Ain't that the truth!

How 'bout you just sit there and have fun with it and impress us with your skills, eh? ;):)

Jason

OK, what the heck... lol.

Never really used Paint before... well, fooled around with it a couple times, but it isn't too tough... :D

bertha.jpg

How about this one? It's a little rough around the edges, but I think its a winner.

Originally posted by solrules
How about this one? It's a little rough around the edges, but I think its a winner.

LOL! (Sorry...) Ok, I have to go make one now. I think keeping things symmetric is the hardest part.

Hi all,
I am new to TRF and to message boards in general. It has been about 15 or more years since I participated in "bulletin boards" before the internet really exploded.
What I would like to know is if there is some computer program out there that would be easy to use, simple to learn, and kind of intuitive for finishing rockets? I'm vaguely aware that there are programs for designing rockets, but I am really after a program to help me design cool paint schemes and logo placement for my rockets. It should be easy to use and allow you to make color changes and such super quick. Did I mention it should be easy to use?:rolleyes:
I would love to hear any opinions or suggestions. Thanks

Mister Rogers,

The easiest program out there is PowerPoint. If you play with it a little, you can make it dance. It's super easy to change colors and draw shapes. I have even toyed with making printed covers to put on the rockets instead of painiting them. (I'm not good with anything other than a spray can)

If you find something better, please let us know.

Hey Texasck1,
I will give powerpoint a try. I don't have it on my home pc, but work has thoughtfully put it on my laptop!:D

Hey chaps, just thought id add a commentto this, whether appreciated or not ;)

Paint, Paint, Paint. What about fantastic Photoshop CS2 9.0 hey? thats an amazing program and my brother is a darn genius at it.

Rhys

MS Paint is greatly under-rated for it's graphic abilities.

I made all of the graphics for this cardstock downscale Orbital Transport using MS Paint.

ot_1.jpg

I use a cheap CAD program that's actually made by Autodesk (they make AutoCAD).

It was only $25 or $30 at Staples and worrth every penny.

To post them here in the Forum I have to copy/paste the drawings into "Paint" and convert it to a jpeg.

Originally posted by Rhysduk
Hey chaps, just thought id add a commentto this, whether appreciated or not ;)

Paint, Paint, Paint. What about fantastic Photoshop CS2 9.0 hey? thats an amazing program and my brother is a darn genius at it.

Rhys

And if you can't afford Photoshop, you can try <a href="https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html" target="_blank">Photoshop Elements ($100)</a> or <a href="https://www.gimp.org/" target="_blank">GIMP (free!)</a>.

Originally posted by JRThro
I think you can draw a heck of a lot better in MS Paint than I ever could!:)
I've seen some fantastic designs in MS Paint, but never figured it out myself.

I could not line up components, place them in the correct location, or resize in any other way but counting pixels.

Here's my submission. I must admit I did this one about two years ago. I actually built a version of it. When I have time, I need to head to the basement to take a photo of it.

Clive

ok I can see where a little time could produce a decient drawing

heres a quick try

copy/paste and flip will help alot for making things symetrical

Actually, I drew mine directly in Microsoft Word. I just did a screen grab for the jpg.

Try pasting a rocsim drawing into paint it works very well as a cutaway drawing

I do a lot of stuff on Appleworks 6 (any mac people out there?). It's great for an 80 buck application (and it's free on new macs).

This is a lower quality jpg version of the AW6 art I sent to Sport Rocketry a couple years ago for my Red Delta. It came out okay. This is my B & W version. Tom redid it and colored it for the article..

Ok, Ive made a couple of drawings in MS Paint and will share em here.

First is a rough rendering of one of my most memorable HPR gliders, the Astron SST. Pictured is the one in the 4" size...

Next is a really rough sketch of something along the lines of what Im currently doing in lieu of HPR, large but very watered down and lightened gliders for midpower.

Pictured is the Sky Shadow, which is basically a 2x version of my normal F powered EconoGlider, aptly named since they are so cheap to build, easy to assemble, and give me a nice big glider without needing a large motor to fly on.

Sky Shadow is almost entirely constructed from Adams ReadiBoard, which is half the weight of standard fmbd products although not quite as strong. Still, this thing is rather solid, and should take a G64 nicely.

Even the body is squared board, believe it or not, it weighs LESS than BT80 and a lot more solid, not to mention you get more wing/body gluing area this way.

This doesnt need a rear ejection pod at all, it will be an all up RG. With 2100 sq in of total wing area and 38z of glide weight, this even glides extremely well in the yard. Cant wait for flight, and hopefully PICTURES............

Back