MRC Trailblazer 1/17th scale sounding rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owen Eldridge

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of an OOP kit that I built last February. Yes, I know the paint scheme is less than accurate...but its not like I bought this. It was given to me by a friend that got it from a friend that retrieved it from a friend's house that burned down. (or something along those lines) The reason its painted mostly black and white is because I didn't want the red and yellow scheme the instructions suggested to make the rocket a major eyesore hanging from the ceiling...

Trailblazer 1.jpg Trailblazer 2.jpg Trailblazer 3.jpg Trailblazer 4.jpg

That there is a thing of beauty....very nice build !!

I also like the paint scheme very much ,nice touch.

Paul T

Owen, nice model and nice flight! I take it that the paint scheme is a stylistic version of the Trailblazer? Judging by the fence near the launch you were right at the edge of someone's property. Were you compensating for wind?

Thanks. I was kind of reluctant to post pictures because I wasn't quite sure what the response to the paint scheme was going to be. There are probably a few die hard sounding rocket fans on here who would be like: "What the..! The instructions tell you what colors to paint it and where, and you still get it wrong!" Whatever...
That there is a thing of beauty....very nice build !!

I also like the paint scheme very much ,nice touch.

Paul T

Last edited:
Yes, I was compensating for the slight breeze. The weather was very nice the day I launched it...can't say the same for the weather today. A huge cold front blew in and the forecast is reading heavy rain, snow, and ice. Us Texans are such wimps...
Owen, nice model and nice flight! I take it that the paint scheme is a stylistic version of the Trailblazer? Judging by the fence near the launch you were right at the edge of someone's property. Were you compensating for wind?

Hi Owen,
yes I still plan to make the Sputnik...my original work plan was to build the Zooch Lifting Body and then do the Sputnik....but watching your Zooch Saturn 1b build and now Himitsu's....I kinda got the itch to build a 1b....do you think I shoudl build the Sputnik instead?? I ordered a Zooch ASTP and it is in the mail as I type this.

Thanks Rick! (random question) Hey, do you still have plans of building that R-7 Sputnik?

By all means, build the ASTP first. It's always interesting to see the latest extra detail you have for a 1B.
Hi Owen,
yes I still plan to make the Sputnik...my original work plan was to build the Zooch Lifting Body and then do the Sputnik....but watching your Zooch Saturn 1b build and now Himitsu's....I kinda got the itch to build a 1b....do you think I shoudl build the Sputnik instead?? I ordered a Zooch ASTP and it is in the mail as I type this.

I was actually going back and forth with myself as to whether I should start the Sputnik or the 1b....I am leaning to the 1b as of now...

in terms of new details I am not sure how much I can offer...there are things I think I can do better starting with the engines...I feel I can do a better job with them so that is one of the goals with the new build. I am waiting for a CD with pictures of Skylab 4 to come in the mail...I am looking for more info and detail pics of the SM for the later missions the 1b flew. I have noticed some other stuff with the tanks that I think I can try to recreate...at least that's the plan as of now!

By all means, build the ASTP first. It's always interesting to see the latest extra detail you have for a 1B.

That is a great looking rocket. The paint scheme is excellent for it IMO.

These were really nice kits, and yours looks great. Wish I could still get the FX motors!

Owen the Paint Scheme is great!
Two quick questions: How high do you think it went and what motor did you use?
Pretty sweet build!

Thanks,
Nick

After looking at this thread several times ,I kept thinking how this rocket looks very familiar !

Yesterday ,I went through my stash and indeed ,there it was !!!

Last Christmas I bought a FlisKit Journeyman (Argo D-8), exact same rocket built around a BT 60 main body tube, with a finished length of 45.25" .

It`s a very well made kit ,as is the norm for Jim`s wonderful creations !!!!!!!!

SWEET !!!!

Today I`m building it :clap:

Paul T

NickT...1 I'm terrible at estimating distance but I'm pretty sure it went over 300'. 2 I used a D12-3.
Owen the Paint Scheme is great!
Two quick questions: How high do you think it went and what motor did you use?
Pretty sweet build!

Thanks,
Nick

Are you going to do a build thread?
After looking at this thread several times ,I kept thinking how this rocket looks very familiar !

Yesterday ,I went through my stash and indeed ,there it was !!!

Last Christmas I bought a FlisKit Journeyman (Argo D-8), exact same rocket built around a BT 60 main body tube, with a finished length of 45.25" .

It`s a very well made kit ,as is the norm for Jim`s wonderful creations !!!!!!!!

SWEET !!!!

Today I`m building it :clap:

Paul T

Are you going to do a build thread?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Owen ,I totally forgot about this fine build of yours ,and just thought about it now.

I won`t be doing a build thread ,as the rocket is now finished and awaiting paint (which unfortunately will have to wait until spring !)

The FlisKit Journeyman was very well made, no issues with the build whatsoever,except the body marking guide for the smaller fins was off a bit,so I made my own.The finished kit looks great and plenty tall.

I did a few minor modifications, like using basswood for the fins and TTW construction for the main fins ,as well as Kevlar for the entire shockcord.I will also use a thinmill nylon chute instead of the plastic one supplied (I just don`t like plastic since losing a few Estes rockets to them several years ago)

I made my motor tube to fit D and E motors and supplied my own E clip motor retainer ,as the kit only offers one for D motors (although the kit IS made for both motors)

Cheers

Paul T

Last edited:
That's really cool Paul. Speaking of shock cords, when I flew the Trailblazer last month the shock cord burned part of the way through and the booster portion ended up floating down hanging on by one thread.

It must be really cold up there if you have to wait till spring thaw to paint. I can paint all year round down here. Right now I'm painting the frost lines on Dr Zooch Sputnik. Make sure to post pictures of your sounding rocket!
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Owen ,I totally forgot about this fine build of yours ,and just thought about it now.

I won`t be doing a build thread ,as the rocket is now finished and awaiting paint (which unfortunately will have to wait until spring !)

The FlisKit Journeyman was very well made, no issues with the build whatsoever,except the body marking guide for the smaller fins was off a bit,so I made my own.The finished kit looks great and plenty tall.

I did a few minor modifications, like using basswood for the fins and TTW construction for the main fins ,as well as Kevlar for the entire shockcord.I will also use a thinmill nylon chute instead of the plastic one supplied (I just don`t like plastic since losing a few Estes rockets to them several years ago)

I made my motor tube to fit D and E motors and supplied my own E clip motor retainer ,as the kit only offers one for D motors (although the kit IS made for both motors)

Cheers

Paul T

Last edited:
Owen....would love to see pics of your Zooch Sputnik!

That's really cool Paul. Speaking of shock cords, when I flew the Trailblazer last month the shock cord burned part of the way through and the booster portion ended up floating down hanging on by one thread.

It must be really cold up there if you have to wait till spring thaw to paint. I can paint all year round down here. Right now I'm painting the frost lines on Dr Zooch Sputnik. Make sure to post pictures of your sounding rocket!

Oh,it`s plenty cold up here and more snow is falling.

I`ll post finished pictures ,but it`s gonna be awhile LOL

Cheers

Paul T

The paint scheme might not be "strict prototype," but it looks like a real sounding rocket. Lovely build, and nice pics of the launch.

It's mostly finished as of now...just need to attach the launch lugs. I painted it with the frost scheme...similar to your Vostok, although it doesn't look quite that good.
Owen....would love to see pics of your Zooch Sputnik!

I would love to see some pics Owen! I have been going back and forth on how to paint the Sputnik....its normal scheme kinda looks like an army dump truck....

It's mostly finished as of now...just need to attach the launch lugs. I painted it with the frost scheme...similar to your Vostok, although it doesn't look quite that good.

Latest posts

Back