Mr Wizard

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
they are playing the old Mr Wizard series from the '60s on the science channel!
talk aobut flashbacks!
i used to get up really early to watch Don Herbert's show...
it fuled my interest in science, that's for sure!

Back in the 70s, we had a show called "Think of a Number", presented by Johnny Ball. It had more of a leaning towards maths, but had more than its fair share of science thrown in. This program, and presenter, certainly had a big impact on my enjoyment of the subjects. :D

I really wish they'd repeat them, even on some obscure satalite channel.

BTW: For those who've never heard of Johnny Ball, hes now Fatboy Slim's father-in-law.

Originally posted by Elapid
they are playing the old Mr Wizard series from the '60s on the science channel!
talk aobut flashbacks!
i used to get up really early to watch Don Herbert's show...
it fuled my interest in science, that's for sure!

Some years before them was Dr. Dan Q. Posin, filmed at WTTW (NET, pre-PBS) in Chicago. He was mostly astronomy and astrophysics. When my parents found I prefered him to cartoons, they knew I wasn't quite normal.

But hey, we didn't have SpongeBob or Space Ghost back then.

Mr. Wizard was around when I was a kid, but somehow I stumbled upon a little-known program called "Newton's Apple". That really helped spark my interest (sometimes literally!) in all things scientific.

Of course, it didn't amuse my mom when I asked, as I was getting out of the car for school, "If an atom is the smallest thing in the world, how do you split it?" Her reply: "Well, you take this little tiny hammer, and this little tiny chisel, and I'll explain the rest when you get home." Probably a good answer for a 7-year-old!

(Note: she did explain the real answer when I got home.)

WW

I have been watching the replays of the Mr. Wizard series. I almost forgot how much imagination you had to use when watching experiments in black and white!
The science channel should replay the Three Stooges series. The boys did more "science" experiments than you might imagine. Their shows frequently demonstrated things like the results of putting Sodium and Potassium metals in water, the effects of high pressure (on tire inner tubes and hot water bottles), what happens when you put dry ice in water, and more!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I found my old Mr. Wizard Science experiments book!

Now talk about nostagia!

I just recieved the Disney DVD Tomorrowland set!

MAN IN SPACE from the old ABC Disneyland TV show circa 1955 thru 1957!

All the Glencoe models are in it! Space Station, Retriever Rocket, and Ferry Rocket .

Way Cool!

Willey Ley, Wehner Von Braun...all the biggies!!!

But let's not forget "Our Friend the Atom" all about the wonderful prospects of atomic power! Yep that's in their too!

sandman

youmade me think about a book that has been on my shelf since 1967...

:D

Back