MPC Delta Katt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Harechmak

Reaction score
A quick build while waiting for painting weather. Balsa was die crunched, I'm pretty sure the last one I built had the templates printed on the balsa.IMG_20190124_005305926.jpegIMG_20190124_005730072.jpeg

I built one of these from scans I found on the internet built for Estes mini engines. During hand tosses I had issues with the glider rolling, so I removed the two anhedral tips, and made a center rudder with about 75% of there combined surface area. That got it to stop rolling and the glide was quite impressive from a hand toss. But I could never get it to hang on for boost. Even after a few modifications, Separation was always premature shortly after it cleared the rod.

This last tweak here hasn’t been tested, out of frustration I glued two long extensions to make the glider fight more to fall off on boost

AUVYSBd.jpg

Last edited:
I built one of these from scans I found on the internet built for Estes mini engines. During hand tosses I had issues with the glider rolling, so I removed the two anhedral tips, and made a center rudder with about 75% of there combined surface area. That got it to stop rolling and the glide was quite impressive from a hand toss. But I could never get it to hang on for boost. Even after a few modifications, Separation was always premature shortly after it cleared the rod.
It's been 25 years or better since I built my last one but I vaguely remember having to put some clay weight on one side to cure rolling and impart a circular glide. Boost separation is a problem with it. There's a fine line between the pod being too loose or tight on the glider. I built up layers of sanding sealer on the tip and sanded back to get just the barest snug fit. If separation is a fail I can sand a little more sealer off or add more for early.

Interesting to see that the dihedral is in the canard instead of the main wing. Didn't realize that it used 13mm motors. Hope you post the flight report on this one, I have the plans and have been contemplating building one.

Interesting to see that the dihedral is in the canard instead of the main wing. Didn't realize that it used 13mm motors. Hope you post the flight report on this one, I have the plans and have been contemplating building one.
If it ever quits raining/snowing and the winds die down I'll get a flight report in. The last one I built flew well when pod separation happened at the right time. If you go by the actual MPC instructions the motor block will be too far forward, use an Estes mini to seat it with about a 1/4 inch of the motor sticking out.

Back