MP start kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Hey all, I've watched some MP rockets, and have decided to get into it. The only MP starter kit I've found is the Aerotech Intiator kit. Are there any other kits out there?
-Matthew

I believe HobbyLabs SR-71 comes with a PVC Launch Stand with 1/4" rod, Ignition system to be hooked up to your car battery, and, best of all, a remote controlled SR-71 and motors. I don't know if they are still making that though. Excellent parts, and I really like the launch stand, lots better than the mantis launch pad. Of couse, you could make your own launch pad and ignition system. IIRC, the SR-71 kit was about $200

For a wide variety of mid-power kits, check out The Launch Pad . They have mostly mid-powered stuff, and a good selection of scale models of military missiles. Some are easier than others, but all fly well, from what I've heard.

You will have difficulty buying directly from them, but there are several vendors out there who are now stocking the kits again after a couple years of hiatus.

WW

the initiator is a great rocket. Aerotech's other mid power kits are worthwhile too.

DynaStar is Tim's new mid-power company. While they don't have complete mid-power starter sets yet, the kits will be available soon.

https://www.dynastar-rockets.com

This one is my personal favorite...(OK, I designed it, along with the other two)

Snarky.jpg

shrox

yeah, they're cool but no mater how light they are and what kind of performance they get, they're NOT mid power.

Originally posted by shrox
These are designed to be mid-power, up to 24mm-29mm. Here is a movie of tim launching the Snarky on D - F's:

https://www.dynastar-rockets.com/images/snarky.mov

shrox

Interesting, I didnt know that estes came out with Black Powder F motors, because I know both of those motors where black powder and they both had the same burn time meaning they were the same motor. This burn characteristic was very similiar to a D12. So unless there are some new F motors out there that no one knows about that was not an F and by the looks of it was not an E either. A D is a low power motor and not a high power motor remember.

Originally posted by wwattles
For a wide variety of mid-power kits, check out The Launch Pad . They have mostly mid-powered stuff, and a good selection of scale models of military missiles. Some are easier than others, but all fly well, from what I've heard.

You will have difficulty buying directly from them, but there are several vendors out there who are now stocking the kits again after a couple years of hiatus.

WW

Although I do like Launch Pad kits and you can get them pretty cheap on Ebay I wouldn't recommend them as a first mid-power kit. The reason is that they are very lightweight and somewhat flimsy. I would only embark on one of these kits if you have experience in strengthening airframes or this is a challenge you'd like to try. If it was a first kit, I would go with a more robustly built design, most likely an Aerotech Mustang or Initiator per the examples attached...

-Tim

Well, I have two black cylinders with yellow markings on my desk right now. Something written on it about "AeroTech composite model rocket motor", the end says "F25-6W". The other says "E15-4W"

Maybe they are Pez dispensers.

shrox

Wow - lotsa tension right around this general area right here...

Okay - in any case, my vote for best intro to midpower goes to....the Aerotech Initiator!!! Fabulous kit, easy to build, flies great on a variety of motors.

Loopy

Shrox,

I think Ryan is the one missing something!
He hangs around with Doug too much!!

He'll be back to normal(?) after he inhales some AP and blackpowder fumes at the first CMASS launch.

I think your designs look great.

Lamar

Originally posted by Loopy
Okay - in any case, my vote for best intro to midpower goes to....the Aerotech Initiator!!! Fabulous kit, easy to build, flies great on a variety of motors.

I agree. Yes, I most certainly DO agree with THAT choice. :)

neither of us are missing anything they just dont look like F motors

I'm sorry, but what doesn't look like F motors? Do you mean the video? It shows two launches, D and E, then cuts to a F flight that Tim lost track of in the camera and didn't locate it until it deployed.

I designed the silly thing, I should have some idea of what flies on!

The motors on my desk I mentioned are the very ones that came with my Initiator set. I made the rocket into an SHX-15 and added noseweight. The pad is nice, I used a small 12 volt battery rather than a car battery, a latern battery I think. I didn't like the controller though, it works fine but I found it difficult to assemble.

shrox

Shrox,

Here is a movie of tim launching the Snarky on D - F's:

I that retriever going to get that rocket :D ... I about laughed myself silly watching that dog take a bead on that thing...lol...lol

My 2 cents' worth:
My first mid-power kit was an LOC Graduator. Flies great on F and G motors.
You might want to check that one out.

The Initiator is a nice set, if possible get the RMS set. I managed to get mine with casing and motors for 70 dollars. It crashed on the first flight tho :(

LOL .......

I dunno I guess i see what ryan is saying, both boosts appear to be the same motor, same boost time by my count..

I agree look like D12's..

Then you come back and say the boosts were a D and an E motor which is what he was saying all along.. the last recovery that the retriever is going after was an F motor but there's no video of that flight.. so anyway i get what you were saying Ryan..

Shrox,

I like the look of that bird very much, how bout some specs on it.. length, diameter, weight, etc.. recomended motors..

Think i'll need one of those...

Rocketsonly,

The Initiator is a nice intro into mid power as well as any of the AT kits.. Initiator and Mustang were my first midpower birds..

Can't fault a Loc or some of the others either.. or many of the other manufacturers..

Here is what I said:

"These are designed to be mid-power, up to 24mm-29mm. Here is a movie of tim launching the Snarky on D - F's:"

I wasn't there, Tim sent me the video. The point was there are some new mid-power rockets that go well with the Mantis pad. If I am mistaken about what the video actually shows I am sorry.

Geez, RMR is less Spanish Inquisition as that was!!

shrox

Back