Mozilla Thunderbird Users

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
Just got finished setting up a brand new computer and I opted to go with Win 7 instead of 10 for a number of reasons. Prying XP from my
"cold dead hands" was challenging to say the least, but having to figure out the changes Mozilla Thunderbird went through is yet, even more challenging. Everything changed. Getting my preferences set up got really difficult.

Often times, I'll have to save a .dwg (Autocad) file from an email, so I go through the usual routine where I need to store it, but the only thing showing up in my CAD file folder for .dwg files, are the sub folders where multiple files are kept. None of the individual files appear at all. Just so you know, if I am in Windows explorer, and looking for said files, they, along with the sub file folders, are quite visible. But not when I need to save a file. I really need to be able to see all files in my CAD files folder and not just the sub folders. Does anyone know how to fix this?

When I save an attachment from an email in Thunderbird, I have to refresh the view of the target folder to see the newly saved files.

When I save an attachment from an email in Thunderbird, I have to refresh the view of the target folder to see the newly saved files.

Yeah, that happens to me too. Tbird doesn't like my CAD files anyway. I can receive them just fine. But when I have to send one out, I cant attach it to a reply or a new email. I have to highlight the file, right click, and send to "mail recipient". Otherwise, it crashes Tbird. F-ing computers!!!!! :rant:

Thunderbird has been decoupled from Mozilla/Firefox. It is hard to say where they will go with it now. Changes are par for the course.

As to XP- it was good its day, but is really old now. Heck, Windows 7 is getting old too- At some point they will stop issuing updates and security patches for it too. When that happens, you really need to be off of it and onto something being actively patched.

Here's what you do. Get a slightly older computer of whatever type and stick whatever flavor of Linux on it. I have Ubuntu 14.xx which is the last prior distro as they are up to 16. I like it except doing a desktop launcher is a pain. That might have
been fixed in 16.XX but my system runs fine for me. Well you say, "What about my WinBlows apps?" Well, there is WINE or an easier way is Vbox: https://www.virtualbox.org/ Load up a guest WinBlows system with your old disks, (even XP)
and I have had pretty good luck running most software. Might have to stick Net Framework in but a lot of the older rocketry software runs in a simple environment.

If you like it, you're free from Micro$$ forever. If you don't, nothing lost. You can go stay with MS on you primary computer.

A lot of the Linux distros one can download for free and burn a DVD from an image and go for it. Kurt

M$ won't end security updates/support for Win7 until Jan 14, 2020:
That being said, they have had a number of sleazy attempts to get people to worry and jump to Win 10, when they don't need to:

Totally understand that. I ran XP for a great many years after updates stopped. There was no need for me to worry about running it either. I got my own security working here also. Granted, I may not be able to download and run newer software at some point, but I rarely have a reason to anyway. I'm not one of those folks that has to have the latest and greatest new stuff like so many, and I'm getting a handle on Win 7 anymore. I don't like that it doesn't have "Movie Maker" anymore. And certain functions aren't readily available like XP had em. I have to go find things that got buried in the system. My print preview and functions are different and not as user friendly, the list goes on and like I always say, upgrades suck. At least, Win 7 should last me way long after I retire. So as long as I can still do my professional work, I won't worry about Win 10. I do have a copy of it though. I had my geek buddy strip it off my HD and install 7 because I hated it.

^ Agreed. I just got a new desktop 3 months ago and installed Win7 on it. It works, I'm familiar with it, and allows me to run all the programs I need to...I basically wind up upgrading every other or every other 2 OS's, XP was great but was definitely a little long in the tooth. Vista was *not* an option after seeing it "inaction" (one word). Win7 had a lot of great word of mouth, so I "immediately" bought a copy when Win 8 came out and dropped my XP at that point. Based on the word of mouth with 8 & 8.1, I'm glad I avoided those! Win10 sounds ok, but I'm not a big fan of upgrading for the sake of upgrading...and I'm not a big fan of sending all my user data to Redmond, so I'll be on Win7 for a while!

Going back to your original problem...I recognize now I've had that problem, but always thought it was a weird Microsoft thing and that there was no way around it, so I've never even bothered. Sorry I can't help with that...we do have some experts in the forum, so maybe somebody can offer advice.

Back