Moving to Philadelphia

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
I got a new job in Philadelphia working with the CH-47 and V-22, so I need the usual run down from the forum what are the good hobby shops on Philly, where are good clubs and who's in the area. Thanks for the info.

MDRA Maryland Delaware Rocketry Association only a couple of hours drive. They host Red Glare events when Higgs farm is ready. Great bunch of people. They are now at a sod farm during growing season. They hosted Steve Eve's world record Saturn launch at Higgs farm. Check out their site and photo gallery.

MDRA Maryland Delaware Rocketry Association only a couple of hours drive. They host Red Glare events when Higgs farm is ready. Great bunch of people. They are now at a sod farm during growing season. They hosted Steve Eve's world record Saturn launch at Higgs farm. Check out their site and photo gallery.

I will second that MDRA is well worth the drive. Philadelphia Area Rocketry Association flies monthly from a small farm in Ottsville PA, north of Philadelphia. The best hobby shop is IMO is Penn Valley Hobby in Lansdale, also in the northern suburbs, beware they are not open Sunday, it is an 'old time' shop but has lots of model rockets and building supplies, motors and model rocket reloads.

I got a new job in Philadelphia working with the CH-47 and V-22, .

Hmmmm sounds more like Ridley park or Ridley Township. Actually just around the corner.

There is PARA which is about 45-60 minutes north depending on traffic, small field.

However as others have suggested you want to join MDRA. About 85 miles south approx. an hour and a half early in the morning. The afternoon/evening return can be longer especially during summer.

MDRA has the nicest people you'll want to meet. The primary field (Higgs Farm) is great, hell they fly P's there! Summer sod farm a few miles south of Higgs farm is really nice, they usually scale down the size of rockets/motors due to field size and layout.

Join MDRA and don't look back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uncrichie.

www.mdrocketry.org

Uncrichie.

Oh yeh I forgot, there is a Hobby Town USA 10-15 minutes from Boeing. You can look up Hobby Town USA on line they will give you a rundown on what they have.

No real rocketry shops around. Mailorder would be your best bet or vendors that frequent the MDRA launch's especially the RED GLARE events.

Uncrichie.

OMG, how could I forget! If your not originally from this area (Greater Philadelphia) get ready to pig out on the best Cheese steaks (best are Pat's or Geno's in South Philly) Hoagies, and Tasty Cakes. I knew there was a reason I'd never move away from here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll bet you gain 10 pounds your first year here. Uncrichie.

Moving to Philadelphia
What kind of buffoonery is this?!?!? You do realize it
snows there, right????

I guess you'll just have to plan ahead for vacations around
Bunnell Blast, SRA special launches and TTRA's March Madness! ;)

Oh yeah. Congrats on the new job.

OMG, how could I forget! If your not originally from this area (Greater Philadelphia) get ready to pig out on the best Cheese steaks (best are Pat's or Geno's in South Philly) Hoagies, and Tasty Cakes. I knew there was a reason I'd never move away from here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll bet you gain 10 pounds your first year here. Uncrichie.
I've had Pat's, they are good. Just be sure to know how to order, wit!! And sure wish I could get those Tasty Cakes down here in NC....had a friend's relatives that used to live in NJ. Haven't had any in years. I LOVE Philly, one of those kinds of places I would actually move to if I had to move somewhere.

Yes Brian I realize that it snows in Philly I grew up in St Louis, and have family in Chicago, so I can deal with it, I actually miss having seasons other than fire and hurricane. :D

Thanks for the info guys, I was planing on trying to make it down to MDRA once or twice a year, but as a regular club that is just to much of a trek. I'll have to check out PARA, that's not to bad, and yeah where looking in the south suburbs area for a place to live. Any of you guys who know the area have any recommendations for good neighborhoods or places to avoid?

Any of you guys who know the area have any recommendations for good neighborhoods or places to avoid?

I haven't been to a lot of places, but my Uncle lives in Media. Nice neighborhood and good schools. My cousin turned out sort of normal (if making a living jousting on horseback at renaissance faires is normal). :D:eek::D

Don't worry about snow or really cold weather in SE PA. It just doesn't happen anymore. You'll get the change of seasons but theyre subtle they blend into each other, not as harsh. I was born and raised here and its really changed. Apparently things are getting warmer or we're in one of those type cycles as of late.

I would agree with peartree on Media, its one of those towns that caters to all incomes. You can start in the 100k's up to several million if you like. I would recommend you talk to some one in the HR department of your employer, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction. I'll bet they even have real estate agents available for such questions.

There are a few heavily industrialized areas/cities in the south end of the county (Delaware County) where you'll be looking. That would be an area that wouldn't interest me but it might be OK for you.

I can tell you this, there are at least a dozen towns within 5-10-15 minutes of Boeing that you'll find your house. This area is heavily populated and you won't have to drive far to find anything. Its all here.

Yes Brian I realize that it snows in Philly I grew up in St Louis, and have family in Chicago, so I can deal with it, I actually miss having seasons other than fire and hurricane. :D
In Pennsylvania from June - Sept, fields big enough to fly rockets will be covered with
A) trees
B) corn
C) kids playing soccer
2 of those 3 provide a useful service to mankind. When it snows there will be no corn or soccer, and it is easier to find a rocket on a snow covered field then in the corn or among angry soccer moms. Some of our best sport launches have been in the winter.

So Michael, when does the big move occur? And have you decided what area of PA or NJ you're going to live?

Troy,

Last work day will be August 5th, pack and load on the 6th and 7th, drive the 9th-11th, unload unpack on the 12th and 13th, first day on the 14th, more unpacking on the weekend. We are looking in PA mostly Delaware county and Chester county (south and southwest of downtown)

Actually, MDRA is about 1.5 hours from Philadelphia. Very close.

Also, South Jersey Rocketry has a club and launch close to philly every month.

https://www.sojars593.org

Dan

Troy,

Last work day will be August 5th, pack and load on the 6th and 7th, drive the 9th-11th, unload unpack on the 12th and 13th, first day on the 14th, more unpacking on the weekend. We are looking in PA mostly Delaware county and Chester county (south and southwest of downtown)

Good Luck Mike!,

I regret not being able to meet..or did we?? The Space Coast will miss you but with things going on over at KSC you have to look ahead and do what's best for you and the family.

So you grew up in St. Louis? What part?, we lived in the St. Peters/O'Fallon area from 1979 thru 2000 sandwiched with a few of 1-2 year moves to New Mexico/Arizona/Calif courtesy of McDonnell Douglas/Boeing.

No, we haven't gotten to meet yet, Hopefully I'll be able to make the ROCK launch on Aug 1st. I grew up in St Ann just south of Lambert

So you grew up in St. Louis? What part?, we lived in the St. Peters/O'Fallon area from 1979 thru 2000 sandwiched with a few of 1-2 year moves to New Mexico/Arizona/Calif courtesy of McDonnell Douglas/Boeing.

I'm in the exact neck of the woods right now.

Back