Movies You Wish You Could Forget... PERIOD...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will point out that the episodic follow-up grossed over 1 billion, which is nothing to sneeze at.
All numbers rounded to the nearest million:

The Force Awakens Box Office Gross: $2,065 million
The Last Jedi Box Office Gross: $1,332 million
The Rise of Skywalker Box Office Gross: $1,073 million

I think that's enough said.

The Last Jedi was garbage and brought the whole sequel trilogy down with it by trashing everything that was set up in The Force Awakens and leaving a huge mess for The Rise of Skywalker to follow up.

The main culprits though are the bigwigs at Disney/Lucasfilm, who decided to start making the sequel trilogy without creating a story outline for the whole thing first, and giving the directors too much freedom to do whatever they wanted. The original trilogy is a tight, self-contained story. Even the prequel trilogy has a halfway decent story underneath all the poor execution. The sequel trilogy makes the prequel trilogy look good.

That said, it hasn't been all terrible. Rogue One was a decent movie and some of the TV shows that brought in creators who actually care about Star Wars and its background lore were good as well. I'm skeptical about season three of The Mandalorian though. They made the utterly stupid decision of undoing the fantastic ending of season two in those two episodes of the execrable "Book of Boba Fett."

The Last Jedi was garbage and brought the whole sequel trilogy down with it by trashing everything that was set up in The Force Awakens and leaving a huge mess for The Rise of Skywalker to follow up.

The main culprits though are the bigwigs at Disney/Lucasfilm, who decided to start making the sequel trilogy without creating a story outline for the whole thing first, and giving the directors too much freedom to do whatever they wanted. The original trilogy is a tight, self-contained story. Even the prequel trilogy has a halfway decent story underneath all the poor execution. The sequel trilogy makes the prequel trilogy look good.

That said, it hasn't been all terrible. Rogue One was a decent movie and some of the TV shows that brought in creators who actually care about Star Wars and its background lore were good as well. I'm skeptical about season three of The Mandalorian though. They made the utterly stupid decision of undoing the fantastic ending of season two in those two episodes of the execrable "Book of Boba Fett."
Just to continue this slightly off the topic topic - yes, the sequels were pretty bad - refusing to bring the original cast back together just to push the gormless new bunch to the forefront was a really, really bad idea and that’s not even scratching the surface of what’s wrong with the sequels - but let’s not let the nostalgia glasses affect our vision, the original trilogy had real problems too though those problems were overcome by better writing, better acting and a real charm that the sequels can’t replicate.

The prequels…well, they’re the perfect example of why some directors need strong producers, good writers and skilled editors, but they have aged surprisingly well, especially if you watch them in sequence with Dave Filoni’s prequel saving The Clone Wars animated series.

If Favreau and Filoni come out on top in the internecine battle for creative control of Star Wars maybe we’ll get more first season The Mandalorian and less Obi Wan Kenobi…I’m not holding my breath, I’ll be fine as long as my not-the-special-editions original trilogy DVDs holdup…

And now, back to The Movies We’d Like To Forget…Godzilla 1998 anyone?

Ha ha! I see a lot of movies I like on this list…

Regarding Star Wars, nobody is a harsher critic than the die-hard fans.

I loved the original Star Wars trilogy. I was originally very disappointed with the prequel trilogy, but it has grown on me over the years, and I think the Clone Wars animated series, which I watched for the first time during pandemic lockdown, really helped to redeem the prequel movies’ shortcomings. The sequels definitely have some serious flaws. I like The Force Awakens. I felt like they completely changed course with The Last Jedi, and that was a bit jarring. And The Rise of Skywalker felt like they just needed to wrap things up and did a sloppy job of it. Maybe they can patch that up with another animated series?

Yep, saw a lot of this. I did my time properly contextualizing all this for other members on the site. I don’t have the urge to do it now, since I was only making the point that it was less than a mortal wound. To your credit, you got the facts you did present right, which is more than what a lot of those guys did.

I didn’t think TBoBF was “exacreble”. It’s not top-tier, sure, but at least the acting is decent. I liked the theme of responsibility and I found it entertaining. Continuing the thread of treating the Tuskens as a complex indigenous culture instead of mindless monsters was a welcome addition. It does seem to be a bit end-loaded story-wise, and maybe the two timelines (immediately after Return of the Jedi and closer to the events of the Mandalorian) could have been separate projects.

Yep, saw a lot of this. I did my time properly contextualizing all this for other members on the site. I don’t have the urge to do it now, since I was only making the point that it was less than a mortal wound. To your credit, you got the facts you did present right, which is more than what a lot of those guys did.

I didn’t think TBoBF was “exacreble”. It’s not top-tier, sure, but at least the acting is decent. I liked the theme of responsibility and I found it entertaining. Continuing the thread of treating the Tuskens as a complex indigenous culture instead of mindless monsters was a welcome addition. It does seem to be a bit end-loaded story-wise, and maybe the two timelines (immediately after Return of the Jedi and closer to the events of the Mandalorian) could have been separate projects.
Mortal blow? Maybe not, but it's a good indication they lost a lot of fans with TLJ and it's going to put a serious damper on future profits. I was one of those guys who bought and read all the novels and comics until TLJ came out. I haven't bought anything Star Wars related since. It completely killed my interest after I saw how sloppily they were treating the story and the lore.

I will grant that the sandpeople scenes in Book of Boba Fett were decent. I liked nothing else though. The KOTOR video game and several old Legends books had already established that the Tuskens were a people with a complex culture and legitimate grievances, though.

TBoBF had some very disappointing flaws - the major one being that the title character needed to spend more time in his own story! The other one, unfortunately, was unfixable: the collective mental/emotional picture fans have created of what was, at best, a throw-away character used more as comic relief (“No disintegrations!”) and his reduction from main secondary villain to a plot device (ah, how we gonna get Han back to Jabba’s palace so the rest of the story can happen? Bounty hunter! Carbonite! Thermal detonator! Writes itself…). No Boba Fett on the screen was ever going to live up to what fans have been creating in their minds since Christmas 1978! The unspoken long in the tooth 60+ old New Zealander in the room that is Temuera Morrison was one of it’s biggest problems - don’t get me wrong, Morrison is fun to watch and does a great job of portraying a bad boy with a heart of gold but even though he’s in decent shape 60 ain’t the new 40 no matter how much wishful thinking we do. I’m a 60+ runner with many, many long, long days on the trail behind me and I know I wouldn’t want to try and move around like a deadly bounty hunter in Boba Fett’s costume! He did the best he could but Morrison’s obvious physical limitations had a definite damper on what the writers could have his character do. And lastly, TBoBF definitely suffered from streaming bloat - I haven’t looked but I’ll bet there’s a fan edit out there condensing the entire series down to a 2-2.5 hour Boba Fett movie, which could’ve been a better choice. But that’s not how the streaming wars are fought, it’s all about subscriber numbers and the analytics probably show a bigger increase resulting from a “limited series” than a movie.

Now, as for movies I wish I could forget there’s a couple I’m stuck with until my granddaughters Let Them Go (heh, heh!)…

The Book of Boba Fett was definitely bloated — almost as bloated as Boba himself appeared in that armor.

To me, the story just didn’t make much sense. He becomes a crime lord and takes over a criminal organization in order to no longer do crime? Not sure how that works. Anyway, I still found the series entertaining, even if it didn’t hang together very well.

I enjoyed Kenobi, although it has issues too. I really liked Andor, although I suspect not everyone did — that show had the feel of being “Star Wars for adults”, and probably little appeal to kids. And I love the Mandalorian — that one has something for everyone, I think.

Overall, I am really enjoying the Disney+ series. I’m looking forward to the return of Mando and the new Ashoka show, which I think is coming in 2023.

I recently watched a few minutes of the highly derivative movie, "Sharks of the Corn" which has been described as a movie produced on a budget of $20, $15 of which was used to buy a pizza for the crew. Available on Amazon Prime.

To me, the story just didn’t make much sense. He becomes a crime lord and takes over a criminal organization in order to no longer do crime? Not sure how that works.
The implication was that Boba overthrew the existing government by crime lord and set up a government by warlord (which is one translation of the originally Japanese term “daimyo”).

How could I have missed Mushroom people. I was just thinking about all the films about strange creatures caused by radiation. Let's see.
Them was good and that's about it. Giant Tarantula, giant grasshoppers, giant rabbits, giant praying mantises, the 60' women, the incredible shrinking man. All pretty bad. Did I miss any? Yes I did. I don't remember the name. There was one in which a family and strangers took refuge from radiation by living in a valley where the hills around them were full of lead. Monsters coming in over the hills. Real bad. Actually a lot of the 60's sci-fy movies were not that good. But there was some real winners too. Earth versus the Flying Saucers, The Day the Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds. Hated the remake. Robinson Caruso on Mars, Forbidden Planet. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Dave

28 Days. Billed as a drama/comedy. Dud for us. At least it had Sandra Bullock in it.

Also any of the Polish or Russian films I have seen at the International Film Festival here. Not very uplifting at all.

How could I have missed Mushroom people. I was just thinking about all the films about strange creatures caused by radiation. Let's see.
Them was good and that's about it. Giant Tarantula, giant grasshoppers, giant rabbits, giant praying mantises, the 60' women, the incredible shrinking man. All pretty bad. Did I miss any? Yes I did. I don't remember the name. There was one in which a family and strangers took refuge from radiation by living in a valley where the hills around them were full of lead. Monsters coming in over the hills. Real bad. Actually a lot of the 60's sci-fy movies were not that good. But there was some real winners too. Earth versus the Flying Saucers, The Day the Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds. Hated the remake. Robinson Caruso on Mars, Forbidden Planet. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Dave
Mothra! Mosura_trailer_-_Mothra_flying.png

The guardians of the galaxy holiday special on Disney plus. Absolutely awful!!!
NAW!!!, that was fantastic!!

It goes without saying there are huge differences in ones tastes. I for one don't think there was ever a bad Transformers or Star Trek movie. Just couldn't get into the Star Wars fiascos. The Matrix movies were great,even the 4th one.

Back