Movies You Wish You Could Forget... PERIOD...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Last Jedi.
Star Trek into Darkness.

Both struck a mortal wound to the value of thier "Golden Goose" franchises.
Hoooo boy! I moderated a Star Wars site a few years ago and some of the discourse surrounding TLJ was straight-up nasty. More than a few requests for bans were approved by site admins. Most of it boiled down to simple media illiteracy and bandwagoning, and there were a number of grifters stirring the pot for personal gain.

I will point out that the episodic follow-up grossed over 1 billion, which is nothing to sneeze at. There have also been two long-form live-action streaming series that have aired since then (just on inter-season hiatus at the time of this writing), plus two live-action miniseries released this year and more in development. We also shouldn’t forget the wonderful world of beautiful animated shows, video games, toys, theme park attractions, and print media publishing campaigns. The fan art and fan fiction worlds are also thriving, and new theatrical films are in development. Taika Waititi, Patty Jenkins, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, and Shawn Levy are confirmed to direct these. Rian Johnson says he’s kicking around ideas too, and he may get greenlit if he fleshes them out into a screenplay. Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy (legendary producer tied to many of the most enduringly popular movies for the last three, almost four decades) spoke favorably about his working with the studio and was satisfied with the end result. You just don’t do that with somebody who inflicts a “mortal wound” on your IP.

About the only project post-TLJ that didn’t turn a profit was the spin-off Solo: A Star Wars Story, which faced more significant barriers to box office success than a few trolls, malcontents, and troublemakers around the internet. Among them: A crowded release window that put it in direct competition with Avengers: Infinity War, a move away from the newly-established tradition of Christmas releases for Star Wars, reshoots leaving only enough money for a 3-month marketing campaign (the lead-up to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were more like a year apiece), and a general public disinterest in seeing somebody else play the title character. Which is a damn shame, I think Ehrenreich has a lot of charm in the role.

Fortunately for me disappointing movies don’t stick in my memory for very long. Why waste time thinking about a badly written, directed or acted movie? For every crummy flick that’s overstayed it’s welcome I can always rinse it out of my brain with a viewing of Casablanca or Lawrence of Arabia or about anything starring Doris Day…or Predator 😆

A Private Function. Six of us went to see it in 1984. It starred Michael Palin (Monty Python) and Maggie Smith (pretty much every film shot in Britain). We all thought it was horribly unfunny. Two thumbs up from Rogers and Ebert. Blech! To be fair, I have pretty much forgotten it, but I know the story is about some Brits trying to get around the meat rationing after WWII by raising a pig in an apartment so they could eventually eat it.

I love to laugh, and can usually find *something* to enjoy in even the worst comedy. But the two that come to mind here are both comedies:

Jabberwocky - given its Monty Python connections I thought it would be a sure thing... was mostly repulsed and walked out about 2/3 of the way through.

They Came Together - this one got generally decent reviews, and features a cast full of great actors. I must have been missing something, because I found it to be relentlessly cringy and unfunny.

Jaws.
I remember all the gory parts to well. I saw it when it first came out. I wasn't interested in it, but my younger cousin wanted to see it. I watched from under the brim of my cap. I could see the light from the screen silhouetting the peoples heads, All blue. And then everyone would jump. Then I would look. I still turn on the pool lights at night before I get in. I think it was 1978 when it came out. Shortly after that I moved to Florida. Now I looked for alligators and Jaws in the pool. And the ocean. I just hoped the number of people made me safer. I asked a surfer I knew. Do you ever see sharks? Oh yes, he said. Crazy. To me being eaten alive would be the worst way to go.

WaterWorld
The Postman
Any of those "Transformers" abominations
Any "The Matrix" sequel
Pretty much anything directed by Michael Bay

Jaws.
I remember all the gory parts to well. I saw it when it first came out. I wasn't interested in it, but my younger cousin wanted to see it. I watched from under the brim of my cap. I could see the light from the screen silhouetting the peoples heads, All blue. And then everyone would jump. Then I would look. I still turn on the pool lights at night before I get in. I think it was 1978 when it came out. Shortly after that I moved to Florida. Now I looked for alligators and Jaws in the pool. And the ocean. I just hoped the number of people made me safer. I asked a surfer I knew. Do you ever see sharks? Oh yes, he said. Crazy. To me being eaten alive would be the worst way to go.
As amazing as Jaws is, it gets a lot wrong about shark behavior. While the 1916 Jersey Shore attacks mentioned in the movie set some historical precedent for man-eaters, that’s basically a once-in-a-century kind of event. Sharks don’t actually prefer humans, and it’s thought that most shark bites are cases of the shark being unable to identify objects in their surroundings and investigating with their mouths, which I suppose is pretty easy to get away with when you’re two tons of teeth and muscle. As with land-based carnivores like lions, injured sharks may also knowingly choose to go after a human because their normal prey is too able to escape or fight back, and this may explain other cases with repeated bites. Yet others may be the result of territoriality.

Shark bites are pretty easy to avoid while in the water. Most beaches with a known presence of large sharks recommend avoiding the water at dawn, at dusk, and at night, when sharks tend to be actively hunting. Staying on land while bleeding or sporting wounds that may rip open is also a smart move. Leaving jewelry in the car can also help avoid confusing sharks and thus being subjected to taste tests.

Depletion of food sources and people hand-feeding them (yes!) will likely make bites more common in the coming century, so any deterioration of this situation we’re basically bringing on ourselves.

About the worst position to be in with respect to sharks is being a survivor of a maritime airplane crash or shipwreck in deep, remote waters. Away from the continental shelves, the sea is like a desert with very little food, and oceanic whitetip sharks are known to go after such unfortunate humans with some regularity.

93FC96CF-9F9E-428E-B9A4-EED8C3787340.jpeg

Knowing all this (which admittedly would have been difficult or impossible in the 70s) makes Jaws a pretty fun and inconsequential watch. What’s not a fun watch is Jaws 4, unless you’re watching just to laugh at how bad it is. The shark roars, if you can believe that.

WaterWorld
The Postman
Any of those "Transformers" abominations
Any "The Matrix" sequel
Pretty much anything directed by Michael Bay
Including “The Rock” in any way on this list doesn’t cut it - yes it’s a Michael Bay movie but it’s that rare MB movie that’s actually good - and any movie with Sean Connery, Ed Harris, Michael Biehn, David Morse, Tony Todd and Nicholas Cage! is not to be forgotten😆

Including “The Rock” in any way on this list doesn’t cut it - yes it’s a Michael Bay movie but it’s that rare MB movie that’s actually good - and any movie with Sean Connery, Ed Harris, Michael Biehn, David Morse, Tony Todd and Nicholas Cage! is not to be forgotten😆
Can I just forget Nicholas Cage’s involvement in a movie? Not even the whole thing? I don’t know how that guys gets the work that he does.

Belly of an Architect

I'll agree with Avatar & Star Trek: the Motion picture..

I loved "the cook, teh wife, the thief, the .." But I get why many hated it..

I did not care for the new / sequel Star War trilogy: Rey & Fin & the bunch. Just the same original story retold.. (And I must admit, i felt G Lucas lost credibility having Anikin create C-3PO. I felt the three prequels were rushed, an primarily [only?] to make a profit for merchandisers..)

I liked Solo, but wished it was broken up into the three stories that were told.. (But I do realise Hollywood didn't want to risk a trilogy if the 1st tanked..)

This movie isn't just a bad movie, it is firmly in the running for "the objectively worst movie it is possible to make" due to lack of anything resembling acting, graphics that appeared to be done on a VIC20, and a plot that didn't go anywhere.

Birdemic: Shock and Terror

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdemic:_Shock_and_Terror
"The film was largely self-financed and was produced through Nguyen's Moviehead Pictures company for a budget of less than $10,000. The film has gained notoriety for its poor quality, with many critics citing it as one of the worst films of all time.[2][3] After a limited theatrical release, the film was picked up for distribution by Severin Films in 2010. A sequel, Birdemic 2: The Resurrection, was released in 2013. The sequel received even poorer reviews. A second sequel is in development titled Birdemic 3: Sea Eagle."

In January 2009, Nguyen traveled to the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah to promote the film freelance, handing out flyers to passers-by from his van, adorned with stuffed birds and paper signs that read "BIDEMIC.COM" (spelling Birdemic wrong in his haste) and "WHY DID THE EAGLES AND VULTURES ATTACKED [sic]?", and renting out a local bar to screen the film.[11]

Last edited:
Some films are so bad they are good. For example, there's the 1950's "Teenagers from Outer Space" and the more recent "Rubber" -- Birdemic sounds so terrible I might want to watch it now.

Some films are so bad they are good. For example, there's the 1950's "Teenagers from Outer Space" and the more recent "Rubber" -- Birdemic sounds so terrible I might want to watch it now.
If you're interested in these kinds of films, they are best enjoyed with other people to laugh at them with.

And if you've never heard of "The Best of the Worst" by Red Letter Media on YouTube, then boy do I have a treat for you...

https://www.redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst

In the "So bad that they're good" category, the winner is.... "Mars Needs Women".

Back