Movies You Wish You Could Forget... But...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outer Wilds came out on PS5 recently, and this recommendation stuck with me so I picked it up. But I forgot most of your description of the game, only that you really liked it. So imagine my surprise when I was in my spaceship reading through my log, and I heard an explosion. I looked out my window and thought “why is the sun blue???!!!”” Oh nooooo” 😂

I like it so far, but the mechanics take some getting used to. I haven’t really discovered anything yet. I practiced the controls and went to moon of the homeworld.
Once you get the spaceship controls down, you'll be finding new things hand over fist. The log is super valuable as it will help you keep track of all your different leads. Don't forget to put your space suit on before doing anything else when you go to your ship at the beginning of every loop.

Four pages in and not one mention of Spaceballs? For shame. One of the funniest movies ever.

I wish I could see the Lord Of The Rings movies again for the first time. And then see each of them 10x in the theater. Again.

I saw The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi in a drive in theater. I wish I could see A New Hope in one to complete the trilogy.

As for worst movie ever made, hands down it's Legends Of The Fall. That's the only time I have ever actually fallen asleep in the theater during a movie.

Andrew

AMAZING THE FIRST TIME:
Alien
Star Wars movies (first 3 shown in theaters)
Indiana Jones Temple of Doom
Galaxy Quest
Titanic (2nd time=wth was I thinking!)
Dune 2021 (have to see it in the theater...sublime and beautiful)
Many more...

WORST WASTE OF TIME WATCHING = FAKE OR COP OUT ENDINGS:
  • Pret-a-porte: Elle McPherson was in it and it was all about pulling off an impossible fashion show...spoiler: they went out NAKED. :rolleyes:
  • Any movie where the main character gets trapped with no way out and wakes up to a dream (Matrix excluded and actually opposite). One was about two lovers who were bank robbers who started like celebrities, but ended up shot and trapped by police...until the main character woke up from the dream in his bathtub. :mad:

The Shining.

IMHO, I still think that this is one of the best suspense movies ever. From Kubrick's cinematography to the characters and soundtrack, every moment of the movie was a masterful buildup to the inevitable conclusion that we all knew was coming. A classic!

One movie I wish I could unwatch for the first time is Monty Python And The Holy Grail.

I was going to my mom's. And though I didn't know it, I was coming down with the flu. so I was hot and achy and just overall uncomfortable. I hadn't been told it was a comedy. And being only eight I didn't understand what I was seeing. So the scenes with the rabbit attack and the black knight really frightened me. I spent the night locked in fever dreams, seeing those scenes over and over again.

It took me over twenty years before I was able to watch that movie again and finally realize it was a funny movie.

Another movie that I absolutely hate for the same sort of reason although it wasn't a comedy is "Apocalypse Now". I still will find something else to watch or do when that comes on.

Last edited:
Any good ending spoiler movie isn't the same after the first time:
The Sixth Sense
The Village
Knives Out
Murder on the Orient Express
Clue
Unbreakable
(Actually any good murder/detective movie)

I'll also add Jaws & Jurassic Park as amazing first time experiences.

JAWS
Close Encounters of The Third Kind
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Alien
Aliens
The Abyss
Christmas Vacation
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Terminator
Jurrasic Park
Titanic
The Sixth Sense
Kung Pow! Enter The Fist
Army of Darkness
Ghost Busters
Ghost Busters II
Saving Private Ryan
Memphis Bell
Pet Detective
Pirates of The Caribbean
Cloverfield

Last edited:

We have it on DVD and just watched it the other day. My wife and I both agreed there is no way it could be made today.

Folks today just don't have a sense of humor.

I'm Irish.. and when the guy says "We'll take the blacks and the chinks, but we don't want the Irish" rotf lmao

To late... I've had a copy of Blazing Saddles for quite some time.

Better buy two or three back-up copies, just in case.

I hope that all of you realize that story about Blazing Saddles appeared in the Babylon Bee, as SATIRE publication !

Dave F.

JAWS
Close Encounters of The Third Kind
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Alien
Aliens
The Abyss
Christmas Vacation
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Terminator
Jurrasic Park
Titanic
The Sixth Sense
Kung Pow! Enter The Fist
Army of Darkness
Ghost Busters
Ghost Busters II
Saving Private Ryan
Memphis Bell
Pet Detective
Pirates of The Caribbean
Cloverfield

Wait... This thread is about movies you wish you could forget, not list of favorites.

Wait... This thread is about movies you wish you could forget, not list of favorites.
It's a list of films you wish you could see again... for the first time... no prior memories of the prior times you've watched it.

Star Wars - I've never had a first movie viewing experience like that

yes yes, yes yes YES.
It was August 1977, and my Parents *finally* took me to a theater to see Star Wars.
I'd heard it was good, but I had no idea what to expect as the TV commercials gave you very little to work with.

Then came the opening crawl. Ok, nothing too extreme.
And then it happened.
That opening shot with that Star Destroyer.
And it just kept coming and coming like it would never end.
I slid down in my chair -- this was UNBELIEVABLE.
In that instant, I knew I was watching the most important film I'd ever seen.
And in hindsight, it truly was, that opening shot was transformative -- that it has been aped so many times in so many other movies just tells you that it's one of the single most amazing sequences in cinematic history.
And although I still love that particular FX shot, I don't know if *anything* can ever re-create the sheer awe I felt that evening in 1977.

Although I will say this:
Go watch Star Wars again.
Tell me you're NOT sitting on the edge of your seat during the Death Star Battle in the 3rd act.
Marcia Lucas's editing is in GOD mode, it just doesn't get better than that.
The tension that builds because of that precise to-the-frame editing is just freaking magical.

Back