Moviepass...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score
Surely you've heard of it and wondered if it really works? Well, it does, sort of.

Quick review. You subscribe to Moviepass online at (currently) $9.95/month. For that, you can see one movie a day for no additional charge (changing, see below). The receipts in the pic are for my wife and me from about a six week period. That's two subscriptions, so call it a cost of about $30, for about 40 movie admissions, that average about $8 each. We see a lot of manatees and at Sr. pricing - so if you usually pay full admission you could save more.

moviepass.jpg

How it works:
  1. When you subscribe online, they send you a MasterCard credit card - looks just like a normal card. Took about 10 days to get the card, and your subscription cost doesn't start until you use the card the first time.
  2. Download and install the Moviepass app on your smartphone (yeah, you gotta have one, with camera and GPS).
  3. When you arrive at the theater, you 'check-in' on the app. Select the theater, movie, and showtime on the app. You have to be within 100 yards of the theater and within 30 minutes of the showtime.
  4. After you check-in, your card is approved for one ticket admission charge at that theater. Use it like a normal credit card to buy your ticket.
  5. If you are a heavy user (we are), the app will ask you to take a photo of your ticket stub and submit it (within the app).
  6. Enjoy movie.
  7. Get billed $9.95 a month automatically from your bank account, regardless of how many movies you see, max of one per day.

Pros: That's less than $1 a movie! (For us, YMMV.)

Cons:
  1. You have to really like going to the movies and have the time, but even a few a month would make it worthwhile.
  2. Check-in is a hassle. You need to arrive at least 10 minutes early to fiddle with the app. The last couple of times it's required restarting the app/restarting the phone/force closing the app/re-logging into the app - to get it to work. I see other people having trouble with it too. Mostly it has worked fine.
  3. Sometimes it just doesn't work at all. Happened once in the past 6 weeks - it was a general outage for everyone.
  4. Some theaters check ID's to see that the name on the Moviepass card is you. Extra hassle.
  5. You always must remember to have your phone and Moviepass card.
  6. You can't buy tickets in advance.
  7. You can't buy tickets as a group - each person is a separate Moviepass transaction.
  8. You (usually) have to remember to hang on to your ticket stub and take a picture of it for submission. You can't check-in to another movie until you do.
  9. You can't go to 'premium' movies - Imax or 3D - this is changing, see below.
  10. You can only see a particular movie once - it won't let you check in for the same movie again.
  11. It's changing, see below.
  12. How long Moviepass can stay in business is unknown.
  13. It's apparently pretty easy to have your subscription canceled by suspected violation of their rules. Letting someone else use your card or failing to submit stub pictures.
  14. Apparently, some theaters balk at the card or just don't accept it. Hard to understand why, as the theater gets full price. I haven't found a problem.
It's changing. They will soon introduce 'surge pricing' and 'premium pricing'. Surge is just like it sounds. Opening weeks and popular movies will require an extra payment. More hassle; you'd first use the Moviepass card, and then have to pay some extra charge (TBD). The premium pricing is sort of an advantage - it will let you use the Moviepass card for Imax and 3D, again by paying extra.

How long can they keep this up? Nobody understands their business model - they've got to be burning through a fortune. They are currently paying theaters full ticket price but presumably, they're hoping for some theater tie-in discount eventually. But theater margins are so slim that this seems unlikely. Maybe an increase in ticket sales (I see it being used more and more often) and concession sales will urge the theater chains to cut a deal. I don't know. Get it while it lasts.

Last edited:
It is a 30 minute drive for a big theater for me. To far to make it practical for me to use enough to get it. It has those recliner style seats that are great and we will go there for certain movies.

We have a non-profit theater that was refurbished by a local community group that we are going to in about an hour. It's less than 10 minutes away. Good screen, but old style seats. We will go there for movies we won't drive 30 minutes to see. They only show movies on the weekends and they only have one movie a week. This week is Oceans 8.

I canceled my membership when they started to require me to send them an image of my ticket stub. I they don’t trust me then to hell with them!!!!

Since your phone is required to have a camera and GPS, I wonder what data mining they may be doing to subsidize their income.

I think George Orwell was slightly off in 1984 and Big Brother is Big Business and not Big Government....
Ooops - maybe I shouldn't have stated that - now the thought police will be after me ;)

Since your phone is required to have a camera and GPS, I wonder what data mining they may be doing to subsidize their income.

I think George Orwell was slightly off in 1984 and Big Brother is Big Business and not Big Government....
Ooops - maybe I shouldn't have stated that - now the thought police will be after me ;)

I think some of you guys are way to paranoid about the thought poli

My two 20 something kids have been using theirs for about a year in the seattle and portland area with no issues. I recently signed up for their $7.95/month 3 movies/month deal since I won't see more than 3 a month and one movie at that price is cheaper than costco reduced ticket price tickets.

First experience with 'surge' pricing. Cost an extra $3/ticket to see "Skyscraper". There were a total of four people in the theater. Pretty mindless, fun, and improbable action. Best line: "If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape."

First time in theater to see trailer for "First Man". Looks really good.

Can I just use a Multi-Pass instead?

Milla-Jovovich-with-her-M-008.jpg

ssixsixsix

Latest posts

Back