Movie, "The Martian", due October 2nd, based on Andy Weir's great book

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Folks

If Mark Watney is in the hunt for a job on return to Earth, what do you think, would he be a shoe in for the Dean of Science and Engineering at Idaho State?

I wonder if he could get some extra ketchup to go with his potatoes?

:eyeroll:

hey might only want potatoes with Vicodin after having that many :grin:

Wednesday, I saw "The Martian" for the 5th or 6th time.

cQUEC1R.jpg

Of course that was preceded by reading the book twice plus hearing the audio book.

The local theater apparently will not be showing it after Thursday, so I wanted to be sure I saw it one last time for awhile (I am hopeful for an eventual Director's cut. Reportedly the first cut of the movie was originally abut 40 minutes longer, some of those ARES-III "Viral Video" scenes like the ones in "Bring Him Home" may have been cut for time).

So, I guess there's no other movie to look forward to watching next week.

Oh, YEAH, THERE IS! I got my ticket for THAT on the first day they went on sale. Thursday Dec 17th, 8:30 PM, 3D, my favorite reserved seat. One week and a few hours to go….. :)

3 golden globe nods too,
Best Actor, Director and Comedy, don't ask me about the last one

The Martian
Best Musical or Comedy Motion Picture

Okay .....

-- Roger

Finally saw it and enjoyed it. The fact that it wasn't all doom and gloom was surprising to me. The feel of the movie was much more lightheaded, for lack of a better word, than I expected. I did not read the book and did not expect some of the comical aspects of the movie, although it seemed like they were trying a little too hard to be funny a couple times. Either way it was great.

Now I didn't read back through this whole thread, and I know a lot of folks are saying forget the scientific inaccuracies, but man, they just can't get the rockets right in any space movie! First launch was an Atlas V...OK, accurate enough. But the footage of the rocket breaking up? That was footage of a Delta 3914 breakup back in 1986! C'mon man. Totally different vehicle from 30 years prior. And then the Chinese rocket they agreed to use? It was an Atlas V with Chinese lettering IIRC! And the base variant at that...no boosters and a smaller fairing. How does that work if it's lifting the same cargo?! Maybe I'm not recalling it correctly but the breakup footage of the first launch was definitely wrong. This goes on my list with the incorrect SA-500F/random roll patterns on the Saturn V in Apollo 13 and the sporadic mix of footage used in The Right Stuff. And being able to seal a pressure suit leak by clinching your fist? Don't have the science to back that up but something tells me, "I don't think so...."

Still a great movie. I really enjoyed it.

The book had a lot of twisted humor in it, mostly coming from Watney but the NASA PR gal had a much dirtier mouth than in the movie. The book didn't have Watney flying like Iron Man.

The book had a lot of twisted humor in it, mostly coming from Watney but the NASA PR gal had a much dirtier mouth than in the movie. The book didn't have Watney flying like Iron Man.

But, the book DID have Watney proposing that he try to fly like Ironman....:)

But, the book DID have Watney proposing that he try to fly like Ironman....:)

...and Commander Lewis told him "NO!". The difference in the ending is probably my biggest discomfort with the movie, though I did like the aspect of Lewis herself capturing Watney and thereby redeeming herself (in her mind, anyway) for having left him behind before.

Yeah, Annie Montrose's character is rather more colorful in the book.....

DVD/Blu Ray is out tomorrow!

I liked the movie ending better than the book's. Particularly the epilogue, what happened after the rescue.

Really, one thing I wish the movie had kept, was the scene in the book where Mindy Park is showing Kapoor the photos of the Ares-3 base, where she timidly was not explaining very much, and Kapoor slowly realizes what it is she's trying to show him. It was one of the top scenes of the whole book. But I realize why, for time in the movie, that was cut since there was the near-duplicate scene with Director Sanders and Annie Montrose, but not an emotional slow reveal. Wish they'd combined the two scenes into one for the movie. BUT, there is hope that they did shoot that first scene, and it might be in a future extended edition (Indeed, since it would not have been hard to rewrite to merge both into one, that seems to support the idea they shot both scenes but the first was cut in editing for time)

Oddly enough I'm going to hold off on the Blu-ray for now (If it was an extended edition, I'd be out buying it right now). I suspect someone may give that to me as a birthday present in a few months, if not sooner. If I do not get it by my birthday, then I'll buy it for myself.

FWIW - A pic from Christmas. I wore the shirt to a club meeting last week.

GVT0eZQ.jpg

Last edited:
Well I just heard it from the “Grapevine” and it’s official. “The Martian II” has been approved by the studio.

Once again our stalwart hero Mark Watney gets left behind on Mars. . .but this time there are Aliens!!!

Finally saw the film. I really enjoyed it despite the huge number of technical inaccuracies and implausibilities which I won't go into because they're spoilers.

I know most of an audience wouldn't notice, but I wish they'd bother to make a space exploration film with a goal of making it as technically accurate as possible. The excellent, classic, but extremely slllooowww film "2001: A Space Odyssey" was supposedly made to be as accurate of a projection of future tech as possible and it was touted as such. Kubrick's choice of no narration was the right one since I think narration would have been hokey, but that led to most reviewers not even remotely understanding the film. Frankly, the only reason I understood it was because I had read the book before I eventually saw the film.

Anyway, there's no reason another film with a goal of technical accuracy couldn't be made today. The only extra cost would be the cost of technical consultations which would be minuscule compared with other costs. Of course, the studios are only interested in making money, so they'll say, "Why bother when most won't even notice the difference."

I was on my iPad Pro looking at the extras associated with the digital copy that came with my Blu-Ray version last night. There was a nice epilogue piece (Ares III: Refocused) purporting to be an investigative news story set seven years after the fact. It was about the internal turmoil in NASA in the period between the discovery on Earth that Watney was still alive and the eventual safe return of the Hermes with all six crew members aboard and the fallout from it.

It was an interesting little added bit that isn't in Andy Weir's book.

Last edited:
Well, here’s a preview. Whole thing runs 17 minutes, that is not online.

[video=youtube;5tL3jKZJjbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tL3jKZJjbk[/video]

Interesting. Still not enough for me to buy the Blu-ray, yet. I’m holding out for a Director’s cut someday, given there was more footage known to have been shot and the first cut of the movie was 20 minutes longer.

Ran across this Blooper Reel a few days ago. With this thread revived, a good time to post it:

[video=youtube;Vh_UQ8oD_lg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh_UQ8oD_lg[/video]

Finally got to see the movie. Not bad. I try to enjoy a movie and not get wrapped up in technical errors

Definitely enjoyed the movie (watched it this weekend with my wife). The fact that we didn't have to split it into two sessions despite it being quite late was testament to the fact that it was engaging for both of us.

Since much of the book's details couldn't fit into the movie, I was constantly wondering "what about...?" but this is par for the course in book-to-movie conversions. They managed to keep the sense of the book, overall, which was a good thing.

I saw this today- I figured at least George Gassaway would like it:

13000303_1009974332412121_5461765320714901847_n.jpg

Ha! Yeah, that’s good.

Here’s a Martian Conspiracy flipped around the other way, the faked EARTH LANDING.

From News Biscuit: https://www.newsbiscuit.com/2015/07...lly-faked-claim-martian-conspiracy-theorists/

EARTH LANDING ‘TOTALLY FAKED’, CLAIM MARTIAN CONSPIRACY THEORISTS

375-masa-2.jpg

Scientists on Mars faced fresh allegations last night that video footage of the famous 1985 Earth landing – in which astronauts from the red planet landed their flying saucer next to a service station in the US desert, stuck a probe up the rectum of the petrol pump attendant ‘for important scientific reasons’ and flew off again – was, in fact, filmed entirely in a studio somewhere near Canal 67.

‘Dude, the detail is all wrong’, said a sceptic not wishing to be named. ‘Just look at the Coke tin on the ground next to the diesel pump in the third shot. If you zoom in twenty times the can clearly says ‘New Coke’. We didn’t start shipping that **** to the apemen until April 1985, but the landing took place in March. Explain that if you can.’

Xeil Blarmstronx, the first Martian to step monopod on the Earth, refused to comment having remained famously tight-lipped about the mission since uttering the immortal words ‘That’s one small slime trail for a Martian, one giant slime trail for Martiankind’ on finally slithering off the landing ramp.

Landing-deniers are questioning the veracity of the rectal probe experiment as well. ‘See that *ss?’ said the spokesman, using his tongue to press pause on the DVD remote control. ‘From a distance it looks pretty human, don’t it? But get close up, and what’ s that poking out of the middle of the crack in the dungarees? Yep, a pair of antennae. I reckon that’s just one of our spaceforce sergeants in a humanoid flesh suit’.

Zubb Ralxin, the second Martian after Blarmstonx to feel and taste the air of an alien planet, was quick to dismiss the rumours of fakery. ‘The Coke can just had a bit of sand on it, not the word ‘New’,’ he said. ‘And as for the extraordinary shape and size of the human backside – well, all I can say is ‘I was there’. I saw it with my own knees.’

Scientists acknowledge that the only way to quash doubts about their ability to make it to Earth and back is to return home from the next voyage with a live specimen from the green and blue world. ‘But we wouldn’t want to inconvenience a human,’ said a Martian cosmonaut. ‘So we’ll make sure whoever we pick up has no family or work commitments, and for that reason our latest spacecraft have special scanners to detect middle-aged males leaving bars near trailer parks late at night. And, apart from experiencing the odd flashback of their time with us, they won’t remember a thing.’

Wow, this Saturday, June 4th, at 8 PM EDT:

"The Martian" will begin running on HBO!

I held off on buying the DVD/Blu-Ray in hopes of an extended edition / Director's cut later. Don't do PPV. And have avoided temptation to "see it by other means" free online. :)

So it'll be nice to see it again Saturday night, and keep it on the DVR for a long long time.....

- George Gassaway

Wow, this Saturday, June 4th, at 8 PM EDT:

"The Martian" will begin running on HBO!

I held off on buying the DVD/Blu-Ray in hopes of an extended edition / Director's cut later. Don't do PPV. And have avoided temptation to "see it by other means" free online. :)

So it'll be nice to see it again Saturday night, and keep it on the DVR for a long long time.....

- George Gassaway

TBH I doubt they'll release a directors cut. The movie is already nearing 3 hours long, and I'll bet that most of the bonus stuff ended up as the AresLive stuff on YouTube. Fingers crossed though! (And yes I have already bought it on DVD, which is not to say I wouldn't buy an extended edition if it ever did exist :))

TBH I doubt they'll release a directors cut. The movie is already nearing 3 hours long, and I'll bet that most of the bonus stuff ended up as the AresLive stuff on YouTube. Fingers crossed though! (And yes I have already bought it on DVD, which is not to say I wouldn't buy an extended edition if it ever did exist :))

As released, the movie was about 2:20 or so. But the first cut reportedly ran about 2:40, then had about 20 minutes edited out.

It will happen, just a question of when. Hopefully in time for Christmas.

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-martian-extended-cut/

The one scene I hope they did shoot, and that would make it into the extended cut, would be the one from the book where Mindy Park has called in Kapoor to Mission Contorl, and shows him the photos of the landing site, as he slowly realizes what she is trying to get across, that Watney survived, and her reaction as she is trying to get him to realize it what it means. That was one of the top scenes in the book, period.

At least I do hope indeed they shot it, and didn't just rewrite it to merge into the later scene when a handful of others (Teddy Sanders, Mitch Henderson , & Annie Montrose) found out. My biggest reason to hope that it wasn't merged, is that the scene they did use with the others, didn't have nearly the emotional impact it should have (or at least could have) if the two book scenes had been merged. As though the emotional payoff was supposed to have already happened with the first scene with just Park and Kapoor

If they have THAT scene, then for me that would make the extended edition worth the wait. :)

Last edited:
As released, the movie was about 2:20 or so. But the first cut reportedly ran about 2:40, then had about 20 minutes edited out.

It will happen, just a question of when. Hopefully in time for Christmas.

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-martian-extended-cut/

The one scene I hope they did shoot, and that would make it into the extended cut, would be the one from the book where Mindy Park has called in Kapoor to Mission Contorl, and shows him the photos of the landing site, as he slowly realizes what she is trying to get across, that Watney survived, and her reaction as she is trying to get him to realize it what it means. That was one of the top scenes in the book, period.

At least I do hope indeed they shot it, and didn't just rewrite it to merge into the later scene when a handful of others (Teddy Sanders, Mitch Henderson , & Annie Montrose) found out. My biggest reason to hope that it wasn't merged, is that the scene they did use with the others, didn't have nearly the emotional impact it should have (or at least could have) if the two book scenes had been merged. As though the emotional payoff was supposed to have already happened with the first scene with just Park and Kapoor

If they have THAT scene, then for me that would make the extended edition worth the wait. :)

For me, I was disappointed they just glossed over Watney's journey to the MAV. The bit about figuring about the dust storm and his mishap in descending into Schiaparelli were both parts of the book that would have wanted to see in the movie.

Great to see the extended edition coming out, though odd it's 10 minutes longer considering the first cut was 20 minutes longer. Maybe indeed some of the promotional videos, like "Bring Him Home", made a lot of use of what was cut. But stilll.....

Anyway, I'm posting this message right now as a reminder:

It will be on HBO TONIGHT, at the top of the hour (8 PM EDT), and of course repeated tonight and the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Back