Movie night

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
I recall the early 70's Friday night we would watch 50's sci fi on the telly. Mother would pop some corn life was good. We had a popper that sat on the counter. Then came nuker corn..imagine my surprise at the grocery store to find jiffy pop and glass "microwave" poppers that looked much like the old style poppers, and probably as much fun to clean
What goes around, comes around

We would sell popcorn as a fundraiser for scouts when I was a kid, it had a plastic bag with two compartments one with the kernels and the other was a tube of butter. We would pop them in a big pot on the stove.

...I've been using an old 80's air popper for a couple years now, they tell me grandpa's popcorn is the best....

I use one of those too and add my own light amount of butter and salt.

PS - off-topic tangent regarding your Tim the Enchanter avatar. There is a popular guitar overdrive effect pedal, the Timmy, which is named after that character, and the most recent incantation of it features a sillhouette of his visage:
Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 9.52.23 PM.png
https://www.humbuckermusic.com/coll...chrane-timmy-15th-anniversary-overdrive-pedal

During the mid-60's and throughout the '70's channel 9 in the Los Angeles region hosted two programs. Science Fiction Theater which catered to all those great '50's and '60s Sci-Fi flicks and Fright Night hosted by Larry "Seymour" Vincent where you could view all the old monster and horror movies, many of which starred the likes of Vincent Price and Christopher Lee.

Good Times were had by all!!

My favorite night is Saturday night. I kick back and watch Svengoolie. Don't eat popcorn any more, though. Too many carbs.

My younger brother has a Whirley Pop. It's a pot with a lid. The handle is on the lid, which has a crank, 90 degree gear, and a bail on a shaft that sticks down into the pot. The popcorn comes in a two-compartment plastic bag. One half has the corn, the other half has oil and seasoning. You cut the plastic open and squeeze/pour everything into the pot and turn on the heat. When the corn starts popping, you turn the crank, which spins the bail, stirring the popping corn. The prodect is as good as or better than movie theater popcorn. A TRF member, who shall remain nameless, ate a whole bowl of it when we met at my brothers. Yeah, it's that good.

My younger brother has a Whirley Pop. It's a pot with a lid. The handle is on the lid, which has a crank, 90 degree gear, and a bail on a shaft that sticks down into the pot. The popcorn comes in a two-compartment plastic bag. One half has the corn, the other half has oil and seasoning. You cut the plastic open and squeeze/pour everything into the pot and turn on the heat. When the corn starts popping, you turn the crank, which spins the bail, stirring the popping corn. The prodect is as good as or better than movie theater popcorn. A TRF member, who shall remain nameless, ate a whole bowl of it when we met at my brothers. Yeah, it's that good.

My wife is a popcorn FIEND!!! She worked in a movie theater as her high-school job and people actually would wait until she was working to see a movie so the popcorn was perfect. As life moves on, eventually you get stuck with microwave popcorn and think that is the standard again, but the child inside knows better.

I grew up with an air popper, so when we got together, she tried it and it was OK, but microwave still was just more convenient. About 10 years ago, I saw the popcorn popper website with the Whirley pop and bought it, along with the various gallon of oil, butter, 5 pack of whatever varieties they sold etc., and it was the gift of the year. True, it was one of the less expensive gifts (I think ti was like a $75 combo/holiday package) and she still uses the popper to this day. She's switched to ghee (look it up) for the cooking and uses less salt than preferred now for healthier living, but the popper is still used weekly, if not more.

If you are a popcorn person, or need a gift idea for a popcorn person, check it out. If health isn't a concern, you can make the best popcorn you've ever tasted in about 10 minutes. I'm not a huge popcorn person, but when done right (i.e. too much of all the bad stuff) it is crazy good! I only eat about 4 handfuls a year, so it has to be the really bad for you/taste amazing kind, but at that rate, I doubt I'll be in trouble. . .

Sandy.

Never thought about using ghee. It's easy to make, but butter out of the fridge is right there at hand.

Never thought about using ghee. It's easy to make, but butter out of the fridge is right there at hand.

I don't understand the nuances, differences or even the rules, but I follow the rules. When SHE says GHEE, HE does GHEE!!!

In all fairness, when I say 1/2" impact gun, she doesn't understand why that is different than a drill, but hands me the 1/2" impact gun, the 1/2" impact socket rack and asks if I want PB Blaster or the torch.

Apparently, we both follow the rules.

Sandy.

All our kids and grandkids know that you can pop corn in a pot on the stove, no microwave pouches here. I've been using an old 80's air popper for a couple years now, they tell me grandpa's popcorn is the best.

Of course, after having gut surgery, I can't eat it anymore 😒
I go stovetop, in a pot with peanut oil. A light salting and the butter is optional afterward. It's surprising to me how much difference the right oil in the pot makes, but it really does. Peanut. Yum.

The air popper has been relegated to roasting small batches of coffee beans. (Yes, that works terrifically.)

I've never thought about using ghee either, and ghee out of the fridge is right there at hand too, just like the regular butter.

Another trick I've use once was to take butter, a bowl, and a cheese grater from the freezer, and grate the butter. The frozen butter shreds can be sprinkled onto the hot popped corn much more evenly than melted butter can be poured. It works, but it's more trouble than it's worth.

In movie theaters, when they ask me if I want butter, I always ask if it's really butter. It's a rare, happy day when they say yes, and then I say yes too. Usually I skip the artificially butter flavored mystery grease.

I remember one of my favorite Disney shows, Dr. Syn The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, with Patrick McGoohan. Though I just referred to it as The Scarecrow.
For me, it was, "The Whiz Kid and the Mystery at Riverton. The climactic scene with the bad guys trying to get out of town on bicycles while the kids rolled tires at them from the top of a hill was comedy gold.

Latest posts

Back