Movie MUST SEE for any of you who have rolled a D4 dice for initiative!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanDunbar

Reaction score
2009041408284414.jpg

I downloaded this from Netflix to my blue-ray player and I could not stop laughing! If you haven't played D&D or some other form of 'table top' game, you won't get many of the in-side jokes. Oh, and the Bard dies all the time! WOOT! :cheers:

Jonathan

Man, why is it the Bard is always the first to go?:rolleyes: Bet if he stayed back by the Cleric and behind the Barbarien he would do much better!;)

Man, why is it the Bard is always the first to go?:rolleyes: Bet if he stayed back by the Cleric and behind the Barbarien he would do much better!;)

He would be better off in a Leman Russ :)
Cheers
fred

Speaking of this...

Whatever happened to Krod Mandoon?

-Kevin

It was exactly this sort of ting that got me out of rocketry back in the late seventies. I had just finished up the Mars Lander and was starting in on the Pershing 1A when one of my small town friends had his cousin visit from Lake Geneva where they were playing some sort of Fantasy Role Playing Game. The next thing I know the money I had saved for the Maxi Brute Honest John was going towards that new hard bound Monster Manual with the big 1 on the front. Model rocketry and the use of high power D motors by “experienced rocketeers only” gave way to building suits of armor and a trebuchet. Life sure moved fast as one fad replaced another in the Boogie Nights era and before the Regan Revolution kicked in. If I ever play AD&D again it will have to be with those old rules that didn’t always make a whole lot of sense, and as I remember you used one d6 for initiative.

Or go by Dex order! ;)

(Pro RPG designer and proud of it!)

You both are right and I am WRONG! Memory is failing me far too often :(

D4 was used with the Magic Missile spell if I recall. I played Fighter-Magic Users and just shake my head at the bard :)

I really miss gaming conventions; before I was married, I would attend cons in the Southwest and West. I wanted to get back into it last year, but my NAR section scheduled a meet the weekend of the Con :(

Well I still have my campaigns, a few characters, Magic the Gathering Decks, Wizwar, and a couple of Axis and Allies games (the best board game ever created IMHO), but need to re-buy character figures.

I am tired of 8 years of Everquest 1,2, and PS2 EQ playing... they lack the fun of using your imagination.

So this Spring when the cons start rolling through Phoenix I will attend... NAR be Danged!

Here is a link to a site that I found that lists some of the more noteworthy cons:

https://www.dmoz.org/Games/Conventions/North_America/United_States/

Remember the 35+ hours straight of game playing? The bad taste in your mouth? The 3am shakes; thats when your body would cool down because it wanted to sleep, but your mind forced it to stay up? The body odor :) The Doritos and Mountain Dew, 'Gutt Rot' I would call it. Sleeping under tables ... it was swell :cheers:

Well its nice to know there are still those using their imagination and talent to write these senarios and games.

gpoehlein, What games have you writen?

Jonathan

Last edited:
gpoehlein, What games have you writen?

Jonathan

Star Trek: The Role Playing Game and part of Doctor Who and several supplements for FASA
Mekton Empire for RTalsorian
Simply Roleplaying and Budget Battlefield for my own company - Microtactix Games

Star Trek: The Role Playing Game

Somewhere in the basement, then, I have some of your handiwork.

It'd take me a long time to find it, I'm sure -- that stuff hasn't seen the light of day in...25 years.

-Kevin

Somewhere in the basement, then, I have some of your handiwork.

It'd take me a long time to find it, I'm sure -- that stuff hasn't seen the light of day in...25 years.

-Kevin

Most fun we ever had with it was a con in St Louis where we (my two partners and I) actually got to run a couple of games with Walter Koenig and James Doohan playing their respective characters (they raffled off positions in the games with proceeds going to charity). We re-created the bar fight scene from "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode - Jimmy Doohan actually remembered the lines leading into that scene that he had performed some 15 or so years earlier. And Koenig gave rise to the "Klingon Airbourne Marine Corps" after tossing a Klingon marine over the bar a couple of times! :D We had a lot of fun designing and promoting that game!

Star Trek: The Role Playing Game and part of Doctor Who and several supplements for FASA
Simply Roleplaying and Budget Battlefield for my own company - Microtactix Games

Oh for crying out loud my game drug of choice was Battletech (by FASA for the undorks among us) Now I want to go run through my old stash of books and look for your name. Oh wait my wife made me sell most of them. I still have a handful of the old stuff.

Oh for crying out loud my game drug of choice was Battletech (by FASA for the undorks among us) Now I want to go run through my old stash of books and look for your name. Oh wait my wife made me sell most of them. I still have a handful of the old stuff.

I never worked on any of the Battletech material - Star Trek was our big thing. I was the design team expert on Trek - I used to be trivia master at the local Star Trek club and at one time could ID any episode from just the teaser. I could also name just about all the guest stars and give a plot synopsis for any episode given the title. And if I didn't know something about Trek Classic, I had a number of resource books at hand to look it up. In fact, my partner sold our design team to FASA based on the strength of my Trek trivia knowledge. Oh, and we had to work fast on it - we got the assignment at GenCon of that year (mid-August) and had to have a final manuscript in by December 31 of the same year. Those were fun times.

I miss SPI games. Who can forget the quads with Bundeswehr and Wurzburg in the same slippery plastic package :) Currently I play the guard in 40k when i get the chance which means little but fun time. GPohlein my respects on pocessing the smarts and determination to do that stuff :)
Cheers
fred

To quote that most famous of Vulcans, "Fascinating."

From Page 1 of the Star Trek: The Role Playing Game (second edition) "Game Operations Manual":

Concept: Jordan K. Weisman

First Edition Game Design and Writing (Fantasimulations Associates):
Guy W. McLimore, Jr.
Greg K. Poehlein
David F. Tepool

(bunch of others cut)

Copyright 1966, 1983 Paramount Pictures Corporation

The bizarre part is I found that book in my first edition box...

Actually one of the few RPG's I ever GM'ed... and enjoyed!

A pleasure to "meet" you. Live long and prosper!

What can we learn from this fascinating encounter!? Rocket enthusiasts and gamers are cut from similar stuff? I wonder what other similarities between us there are....

Yup, another Rocket Gamer geek

I played a White Wolf's Mage and dabbled in Vampire (versions 2 and 3 not the new stuff) and once ran a really hilarious mage/vampire/changeling game, Even rewrote the rules to play in the matrix but we didn't get to many game sessions in that.

Ran a Medieval LARP (Discord) for 2 years, created the whole system from scratch with my best friend in high school after the original game in which we were just newbs fell apart. And when the old ring leaders found out what we did they we're pretty impressed, and came back and played.

Cardboard Crack of Choice was Star Wars CCG Up to Degabough when the rules got stupid, that was the same time I got involved in the original LARP. I really liked WIz Kids Rocketmen and thought it was better than the Pirates game but it was pretty short lived. However I have a near complete set, I'm only missing a few of the special release cards, which very very few people got so I consider it a complete set. (ie Ultra double secret rare rating)

I'm not surprised there are those of us with both rocketry / table top gaming experiences. A jump point to both hobbies is Sci-Fi and Fantasy books. Also the creativity factor that both hobbies require. It takes a pretty creative person to think of "Hey lets box all these powerful artifacts we've just stolen back from the bad guys heavily guarded office building and drop them in the mail chute and hijack the FedEx truck tomorrow and get away scott free" See the comment above about the mage vamp change game.

And both hobbies have endured their share of government scrutiny (Steve Jackson Games vs Secret Service...).

And both hobbies have endured their share of government scrutiny (Steve Jackson Games vs Secret Service...).

CF,

You remeber the, 'Jackson Games' affair ... impressive, most impressive!

I had friends that were a little worried because they had close ties with Steve; matter of fact, I was at the home of one, and he was telling me that an FBI agent had visited him about Steve and someone who they were tracking that used my firend's BBS to post on.

And people don't think Big Brother is watching :(

From wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jackson_Games):

On March 1, 1990, SJG's offices in Austin, Texas were raided by the U.S. Secret Service. The manuscript for GURPS Cyberpunk was confiscated although this was merely coincidence and not the actual purpose of the raid at all. The raid is often thought to have been related to Operation Sundevil, a nationwide investigation of computer crime; however, Sundevil was based in Arizona and the Steve Jackson Raid was coordinated out of Chicago. More than three years later, a federal court awarded damages of $50,000 and attorneys' fees of $250,000 (amounts in USD) to SJ Games, ruling that the raid had been carelessly executed, illegal, and completely unjustified. Cyberpunk author Bruce Sterling discussed the affair in his non-fiction book The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier. The case also helped to prompt the formation of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, as well as spawning a new game, Hacker.

Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. It doesn't feel like it was 20 years ago!

Up to that point, I think I was only vaguely aware the Secret Service did anything other than guard the President. (hey, I'm Canadian. Whaddaya expect? :) )

That whole affair/farce really illustrated just how little folks outside the hobby understood. And also how little folks knew about hacking.

Glad to hear SJG won the day - and actually recouped legal fees! I understand that's a rarity when going up against the government.

I remember the SJG event.

Heck, I even have some SJG stuff in the basement. Somewhere.

Anyone remember Car Wars, when it still came in the black plastic cases? Or Illuminati?

-Kevin

I go back a lot further than that, Kevin - I go back to when Steve was a designer working for a company called Metagaming - He had written a couple of little SF wargames called Ogre and GEV, plus the two fantasy games called Melee and Wizard, which formed the core of a rpg called "The Fantasy Trip". My first design (unpublished - Metagaming folded before it could come out) was a superhero version of Fantasy Trip.

You want old role playing games, how about these:

Boot Hill
Metamorphosis Alpha
Villains and Vigilantes
Superhero 2044

Gamma World
Top Secret
Traveller

Still have copies of OGRE & GEV... as well as the original Star Fleet Battles!

Ahhhh... those were the days!

I remember the SJG event.

Heck, I even have some SJG stuff in the basement. Somewhere.

Anyone remember Car Wars, when it still came in the black plastic cases? Or Illuminati?

-Kevin

Kevin,

I have a sealed illuminati box, and a played Car Wars. On one note of bragging, I have ALL my magic cards starting from Magic the Gathering Alpha - later sets like Urza and Tempest. I have maybe a few dozen Alpha, a few scores of Beta, an almost full set of Unlimited including all the Moxes and Black Lotus, full sets of Revised, Arabian Knights, Legends, The Dark... ubiquitous sets after that. I just hoard too much stuff. I watched a program on the Discovery Health channel about people who hoard to the point where they can't move around in their own homes. I am a bit like that and I am starting to correct it.

I think of all my fantasy role playing equipment, Magic dominates them all. I even have signed artwork from the early MtG artists. Those are some of my prized possessions. I have artwork from Melissa Benson, God I love her work:

Shivan Dragon (Power of the Pump):

shivan_dragon.jpg

and her Mesa Pegasus (Its Unstable Mutation Time!):

mesa_pegasus_poster-p228353259206599193tdcp_400.jpg

I want to get back into Magic, but other things in my life have to get back on track first: Cycling, Sailplane flight school, NAR contest year about to start for me in about a month, cleaning up my room! Sounds funny, but its not I'm afraid :eek:

Jonathan

From way back when, I still have:

My white-box D&D set, with all but one of the original hard plstic dice,
Boot Hill, never played
SPI's Battlefleet Mars and Panzerarmee Africa, and John Carter of Mars,
AH's Dune, Starship Troopers and several others,
Good 'ol Cosmic Encounter,
The original Ace of Aces - the most original game system ever
Nearly everything published for Traveller from 1979 to 1983
The original Zocchi Star Fleet Battle Manual,
The original SFB with all suppliments
Nuclear War (wore out the fallout spinner); my group playtested Nuclear Escalation

Not to mention a good number of White Dwarf, Nexus, and Dragon magazines, including the legendary Dragon #36, which contained the spoof issue #36 1/2.

I don't know what happened to my Ogre, GEV, Melee, Wizard, or Creature that ate Sheboygan III, but when I got them, they were still sold in ziplocks.

Nerd? Me?

Last edited:
I've already outed myself as a nerd, so here's what I've got, going from (failing) memory...

Basic Dungeons & Dragons. Box is long gone, but I've got the books.
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, though the Dungeon Master's Guide is in rough shape.
Top Secret
Villains & Vigilantes
Star Trek
Traveller
Car Wars
Illuminati
Ace of Aces (cool game, easy to play on trips, etc! Brothers and I used to play that in the car)

I know there's some other stuff in there that I'm forgetting.

I also have quite the collection of Dragon magazines, most of which are still in their mailing envelopes.

From those, remember the games that came in some of them? I have Snit's Revenge, which is based on that, as well as one or two other games. Just don't remember which ones.

I know where the stuff is; it'd take some excavation to get to it, though.

-Kevin

I also have quite the collection of Dragon magazines, most of which are still in their mailing envelopes.

From those, remember the games that came in some of them? I have Snit's Revenge, which is based on that, as well as one or two other games. Just don't remember which ones.-Kevin
Awful Green Things From Outer Space!

Snit's Revenge? This is from HS:

snit1.jpg

This thread brings back the memories. I sold all my AD&D books, dice, and figurines for about $20 at a yard sale in 1998.

The best time I had playing AD&D was back around 1983. A half dozen of us sailors, we were stationed at Great Lakes Navel Base, would go over to the Chief's house Sat. morning. We stacked a few cases of beer in the frig and played until Sunday morning. The Chief and his wife had spent 4+ years in Italy and she would cook us some great Italian meals.

The Chief always ran overland adventures. My 4th level assassin tried to assassinate a sleeping giant and he told me to roll two 20d and I had to have double "crits" to be successful. I did and really pi$$ed him off! He was fair about it though, he bumped me up to level 7 on the spot.

Been 25 years since I've played AD&D

Back