Mourning - Estes V-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Well, I've got to the mourn the loss of my Estes V-2 (not maxi). My wife wrecked it beyond repair while sitting on the desk here at home. :(

For some reason, she thought it would be a good idea to vacuum up my hobby area. See where this is going? She's always been a bit, er, clumsy shall we say and ended up knocking off and vacuuming over my V-2. Not even a single flight on it yet.

BT has been crimped down near the centering ring.

What impulse designation does your wife have? :eek: Sounds fixable to me. :cool: All you told us is you need a new chunk of tube. Fins broken...replace 'em too. Cone and tail cone? fill 'em.

My wife kncoked over a scratch built I had just finished filling and priming abotu 4 coats each was near perfection finish she knocked it off the table :( I mourn your loss along with you.

I got you all beat!

Back in 1970 after getting layed off from my job I built a K-36 Saturn V.

I flew it 3 times and retired it while I went on to other things.

About 1979 we bought a new home and had a garage sale.

My wife sold it in the garage sale when I wasn't home!

Her excuse was that, "You don't fly it any more!"

We're still married after 38 years.

Troy,

I only have one original BT-80 V-2 kit, but could send you a Canadian Arrow if that would help. Appears to be one of those gravity things.

Chas

i'm so sorry hun. the asp v2 is a nice equivelent. though nothing is like the origenal:D

*Removes hat and lowers eyes in shared mourning*

Does this mean she has to buy you some sort of replacement?
:rolleyes:

At least I know how to play "taps" on the keyboard. She's pretty saddened by it as well so no need to prolong the mourning.

Oh well, I did a check and have two Canadian Arrows so I'm good.

Stil though, one day I've got to ask her how do you manage to "run over" a V-2? Seems kinda big to not notice. :rolleyes:

Seems to be a common occurrance... must be the moon phase or something. My wife lost by brand spanking new Zooch Saturn I Block II still new in box... never even opened it!! We've turned the house upside down three times looking for it, and it's just GONE! Micro black hole or something got it...

Guess I'll have to order another one... :( I feel your loss Troy! OL JR :)

My Condolences lol

I picked up an old Estes 2.6" V2 off Ebay a few years back, Last winter I said hey I can improve this this thing lol, So I took the V2 Kit threw out the 24mm MM, Shock Cord, Plastic chute, Balsa Fins,Paper Centering rings & launch Lug. What I put Back was a 29mm MM, 29mm Slim Line Retainer, Made all new 1/8" Baltic Birch Fins and Centering rings, Glassed The Body Tube with 3oz glass, Put On Rail Buttons, Added a 10' 1/8" Kevlar Shock Cord, Put an Eyelet on the Nose cone with Mini Quick Links, added an 18' Nylon chute and also added Nose weight. I tell ya this baby flies Great! Its gone up like 10 times on G79W, G53FJ & G54W's Here is it is on the G53FJ. Weight is 17oz No Motor.
DSCN04230514.jpgDSCN04280519.jpgIMG_2242.jpg

AK Pilot I can't believe you posted this.
My first rocket was the 12'' version V-2. (circa 1970)
Flown at least 25X.
Can't remember if it was Centuri or Estes.
Anyway, I launched on a b4-4 last November and
for some strange reason it really seemed to boost high.
Much higher than I expected. The wind was variable and of course it started to gust right after launch.
Well the wind got it with a semi thermal and WOW
I could have entered in parachute duration. This rocket was
way way outta here (to quote Harry Kalas-Phillies Broadcaster)
IT stinks to loose your first one.
Oh well time to clone and weather it up to look like my old one.

Man that must be one heck of a vacuum cleaner to suck up a V2 :) Sorry Troy but the Arrow is a much nicer version of a V2 anyways :)
Cheers
fred

I got you all beat!

Back in 1970 after getting layed off from my job I built a K-36 Saturn V.

I flew it 3 times and retired it while I went on to other things.

About 1979 we bought a new home and had a garage sale.

My wife sold it in the garage sale when I wasn't home!

Her excuse was that, "You don't fly it any more!"

We're still married after 38 years.
Have you resumed speaking to her yet? :rolleyes:

I keep my rockets and my wife in separate parts of the house. :D (Oh, shoot! I think she saw that...!)

MarkII

Last edited:
try to remember, a new V2 will cost less than a divorce.

Good perspective there Gillard!

Actually, I've been blessed. I was able to strip the entire thing down to the fin can, so it's not a total loss. The damage ended right before the plastic/balsa on the fin can. Wheew!

Measure the BT-80 tube out at 7.75" and just happen to have an extra BT-80 tube sitting around. So I'm good. Got an Olfa circle cutter on my last trip to Sea (one that cuts from .4" - 5.9"), so I'm good to go.

Still though, running over a V-2? I'm having a tough time forming a mental picture on that one.

I've heard of rocket eating trees but not rocket eating vacuums! At least you had repair parts for it. :D Can't decide if I'm gonna try to go after my lost V2 NC at the launch this weekend, even though I have a replacement.

Good perspective there Gillard!

Actually, I've been blessed. I was able to strip the entire thing down to the fin can, so it's not a total loss. The damage ended right before the plastic/balsa on the fin can. Wheew!

Measure the BT-80 tube out at 7.75" and just happen to have an extra BT-80 tube sitting around. So I'm good. Got an Olfa circle cutter on my last trip to Sea (one that cuts from .4" - 5.9"), so I'm good to go.

Still though, running over a V-2? I'm having a tough time forming a mental picture on that one.

I suggest buying one of these to replace it:

https://www.redriderleglamps.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mjruvE310Y

A major award. Italian.

Just don't let this happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOOjV_E3s4

Last edited:
my hanger got attacked today too! My 8 month old rolled over on the changing table and pulled himself up on the book case, knocking my Estes Little Joe II, Mosquito, and Rose-A-Roc off the top of the bookshelf. LES broke off the LJII, fortunately all in one piece, nothing a little CA won't cure though.

Back