Mounting fins and glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slydoh

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have read in numerous places and in rocket instructions to use super glue for the first mount. The idea is that you are quickly able to mount the fins and that the fillets provide the real strength of the bond.

I have always used epoxy for that first step but it does take quite a while to do all 4 fins with this method.

This is for a 4" fiberglass Madcow Rogue 4.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Simon

I only do one or two fins at a time so usually use epoxy. That said, I have upon occasion tacked fins into place with superglue, and then epoxy. It works.

I only do one or two fins at a time so usually use epoxy. That said, I have upon occasion tacked fins into place with superglue, and then epoxy. It works.

I've buttered the fin edge with 5 minute epoxy and then held it in place. When done with all 3 or 4 fins I come back and do the fillets using thickened Aeropoxy. I brush the joints with unthickened Aeropoxy first so it wicks in. Doing it this way it takes me a couple days to do all the fins because I don't work against gravity.

Steve Shannon

Thank you Mark and Steve,

I like the quick attach approach but I worry it might be too quick and not be straight. I like the 5 min idea as it's fairly quick but gives a bit of room for error/correction....

Simon

Mark, I have seen discussions on this as well. What do you use as guides and tools to make the guides?

I use the crazy Jim method of setting fins to MMT. The double dip method. Butter up fin edge with Rocketpoxy set it on to MMT remove it add move epoxy to fin and reset. I have been lucky so far and not had a fin pop off MMT.

Mark, I have seen discussions on this as well. What do you use as guides and tools to make the guides?

I have old school mechanical drafting skills. I use these to draw it out on 1/4" foam board, and carefully cut it out with exacto type knives.

Back