Mounting a Keychain Camera 808#32, 1080P 30fps HD Camera,

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThikeHigh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered the above camera from Amazon, $43, based on what I have read here on the Rocketry Forum.

I am excited to use it on my next flight. I just need to figure out how to mount it to my Zephyr rocket. It has a 4-inch wide body.

I appreciate any help. This will be for my next flight in March L1 certification flight. Before that, I will test everything on a lower-powered motor.

Thank you,
Michael
Centennial, Colorado

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 1.31.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 1.31.27 AM.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 10
Blue painters tape is all you need to mount a keychain camera. This is a 808 camera mounted on an Estes CC Express.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 25
I use electrical tape and it's worked for up to 4" diameter rockets flown on J's and K's. I put a layer of tape down on the rocket first and then tape my booster vision or USB camera from Apogee to it going around the rocket several times with the tape. I leave the initial tape base on the rocket so when I tape the camera, it doesn't mess up the finish each time. Picture shows the tape "base" where I put the camera and tape it to those "rings".

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_163546098[1].jpg
    IMG_20220220_163546098[1].jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 17
I use electrical tape and it's worked for up to 4" diameter rockets flown on J's and K's. I put a layer of tape down on the rocket first and then tape my booster vision or USB camera from Apogee to it going around the rocket several times with the tape. I leave the initial tape base on the rocket so when I tape the camera, it doesn't mess up the finish each time. The picture shows the tape "base" where I put the camera and tape it to those "rings".

Thank you very much. Another reply used painter's tape, which shouldn't wreck my acrylic paint job. I may use your method or one of the others, which used a serious Velcro to attach, which I could easily put on other rockets to easily swap the camera when I launch multiple times. I think the tape may be more secure, so I have to do a little experimenting. That's the name of the game, as I progress up the experience ladder, one step at a time.

Thank you so much, I would have never thought about Velcro. Great video, I will be sure to share my L1 shot scheduled for 3/19/2022. Of course, weather permitting. March typically is a snowy month. As long as the sky is clear, we'll launch not matter what's on the ground.
You see there's a screw as well, right? The velcro just keeps it from swiveling.

Thank you, I did see the screw and I think this will be my preferred method, so I can easily set it up on other rockets for multiple launch days. I will be putting holes for keeping the pressure inside from interfering with the altimeter, so I will use one of those holes with a sheet metal thick thread screw. I might put a glob of epoxy behind the screw, after it hardens, the screw will have a better place to secure and not tear up the body.

Michael, take another look inside the box your Mobius came in. You'll find a nice patch of velcro (both sides), perfectly sized for the camera. On the rounded forward (non-lens) end of the camera you'll see a hole that accommodates a #2 bolt. Install a #2 T-nut on the inside of the body tube that your #2 bolt can go into. Dab a little epoxy around the perimeter of the T-nut to ensure recovery laundry doesn't snag. With the bolt and the velcro holding your Mobius, you'll be ready to fly! See photos below.
Bob Schultz

MOBIUS 004 20220218.jpg
MOBIUS 003 20220218.jpg

I used to get the #16 version because it had a flat bottm. Then, I just glue it to a fin. You can see it in the pic. The first time I did this, it was just sort of spur of the moment, but it captured one of the more interesting rocket videos you will ever see. Never would have figured out what happened without the video.

On 4" rockets, I glue the camera to a small piece of air frame and then screw that to the rocket. That lets me move the camera from one rocket to another.

Jim

Attachments

• _DSC2381.jpg
    _DSC2381.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 9
I use to put one 808 camera on my glider and one on the booster of my 4xOT with velcro like post #2 . It worked like a charm. I am not sure it would work in other rocket circumstances, but it never failed on my 4xOT.

Last edited:
Myself and my dad have flown through L motors using only electrical tape to keep the cameras on! Alternatively, carefully attaching them to a zip tie with electrical tape and putting the zip tie around the rocket has also proven pretty successful! Unfortunately, our one and only failure was my dad's Level 3 flight.

Braden

I used to get the #16 version because it had a flat bottm. Then, I just glue it to a fin. You can see it in the pic. The first time I did this, it was just sort of spur of the moment, but it captured one of the more interesting rocket videos you will ever see. Never would have figured out what happened without the video.

On 4" rockets, I glue the camera to a small piece of air frame and then screw that to the rocket. That lets me move the camera from one rocket to another.

Jim

Jim,
Godd video, thank you for the suggesiton.

Back