3D Printing Mount for Missile Works screw switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Attached is an OpenSCAD file to create a mounting system for the Missile Works screw switch. It tries to accomplish several goals: help guide a screwdriver into place for the arming screw, provide a friction fit to keep the arming screw from moving due to vibration when in the 'off' position, and add clearance for both the PEM nut on the bottom of the board and for a soldered connection to the wires. An optional 'nut holder' is also provided to make it easy to hold the nuts in place during installation.

Parts should be printed with 100% infill and for best results with support material enabled for the dome in the bottom of top piece.

If you cut relief holes in the mounting board you really only need the top piece. But the lower spacer makes it a lot easier to mount the switch and the thickness can be varied as needed. The same is true of the 'nut holder' part, it can be omitted but if you use smaller nuts it makes it easy to keep track of them and hold them in position.

Nearly every single aspect of the mounting system can be modified - the diameter of the screw holes, the nut size, the heights of each piece, the shape of the guide cone, etc., using either the OpenSCAD customizer or by modifying the appropriate variable. Because of this the code is far more verbose than needed to make such simple parts but I've found that I've never regretted making it easy to modify a value.

The file is released under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) Creative Commons license - please read the comments at the bottom of the OpenSCAD text.

I hope this is useful for those using the Missile Works screw switch.

Tony

PS: I updated the file with a version that has a fix for the rendering bug in OpenSCAD - the thru holes now look much better without having to do a full render. Thanks to kaslow for the fix.

All parts:
all-parts.jpg

Side view of mounted switch:
side-view.jpg

top view:
top-view.jpg

cutaway view of top portion:
cutaway.jpg

Attachments

• Missile-Works-screw-switch-mount.scad.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Cool!

I did a similar design. Mine is meant to mount(w/epoxy) one or more Missile Works switches directly to the inside of the AV bay. A drilling guide for the outside of the tube is included.

SwitchMount.JPG

Attachments

• mw_switch_block.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
Back