Motors n things .......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWALPOCO

Reaction score
Hi all again

Im < hopefully > going to be involved in a ESTES Phoenix build , its a heavy-ish model and has been classed as a D Motor'd Rocket.

The reason the team Im with have chosen this heavy ol lump is because it appears to give nicer roaring slow-motion (in comparison) take off as opposed to the woosh-off-n-outta-sight style of the ligher Code Red we've been toying with ........

I think Im right in saying that as the Phoenix is Spec'd to run on Estes BP Ds its mount will have to be set up for 24mm x 70mm.
If thats the case then will AT E Type SU motors fit ?

I dont think Estes E's readily available in the UK and Ive heard there were/are some problems with them anyway. Hence if an E motor is going to get loaded in , seems itll be something like an Aerotech instead..... time to get filling in some forms ......

The team and I are particularly interested in the White Lightning / Blackjack version motors as they seem to be more freindly on the eye and wondered if these would fit too ?

It would be good to know about this before the build starts ! It wouldnt be much fun knowing weve nobbled our chances of loading an E motor into the wee beasty by putting a limited engine mount in.

Thanks all for any help you can give. A site with engine diam mm X length mm would be handy if anyone knows of one.

Paul da newbie ....

Pwalpoco,
Sounds like a D mount to me. Get some E- engine hooks and make it an E- mount. It will boost that heavy ol lump mighty quick:D
Larry

The single use Es are longer than the Ds

PWALPOCO - you have a couple of options where Aerotech motors are concerned.

You can get 24mm Aerotech (hereinafter AT) RMS (Reloadable Motor System) hardware, which has quite a few reload kits available, with D through F impulse available. The RMS hardare is 24mm X 70mm, the same size as the Estes D motors.

AT also makes some 24mm X 70mm single use motors. The E15s and E30s are quite popular. However, the E30 will make that Phoenix leave pretty quick, which is something you said you *didn't* want.

Something else to consider - you may want to make the motor mount capable of taking the Estes "E" motor, which is 24mm X 95mm. If you do that, you can use a spacer for the Estes D motors. The AT RMS actually uses the bottom closure as a built in thrust ring - the closure is slightly bigger than the diameter of the motor tube, so you don't have to use a spacer for it.

AT also makes a single use (SU) motor that is 24mm X 95mm - the F21. They are very hard to find right now, but they are a really neat motor. The availability of this motor should improve in 2004.

HTH.

Back