Motors For The ARV Condor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
Today my ARV Condor finally arrived at my local hobby shop, I'd had to order it from Ripmax as the hobby shop doesn't sell rockets of the shelf.

I'm completly stuck on which motors to use, I've looked at four places the catolouge, the box, the instructions (different to the box) and EMRR. I've got two sets of recommened motors which one is right?

Thanks

I've flown mine on an A8-3 and a B6-4.

the A8 worked good, but was very low. The B6 gets it up higher and gives the gliders time to do what they do. The last time I flew it with the B6, it took about a minute or so for the gliders to touch down.

Take your time building it and make sure you coat the glider wings with CyA glue to strengthen them.

I think CTulanko flew his on a C6. I think that would be too much motor for it. This is one rocket you want to see when it ejects as parts go everywhere. ;)

Jason is correct, I did fly mine on a C6...ONCE! I got i back but will never do that again...the B4 and B6 are perfect for it.

Carl

Thanks guys,
I'm looking forward to flying mine, I'm taking my time (school holidays at the moment) and I've completed the first glider (havn't painted or anything yet) and the wing tips on the second are drying as I speak/type.

Thanks again

Mike,

Some of EMRR's data is from old catalogs, instructions, etc. Their (Estes) recommendations do change, sometimes because a motor no longer exists. Please post (here) what Estes is currently saying about the ARV so I can update EMRR's databases.

Thanks!

The Estes box gives the list as "A8-3 (first flight), B4-2, B6-2, B6-4, C6-5"

The instructions, however, give it as "B4-2, B6-2 (first flight), C6-3"

The Estes web site has the shorter list (the second one)

OK, I'm interested now. I know I've seen this at my local Hobbytown, but their prices are just silly. This isn't OOP is it?

Originally posted by Dean
The Estes box gives the list as "A8-3 (first flight), B4-2, B6-2, B6-4, C6-5"

The instructions, however, give it as "B4-2, B6-2 (first flight), C6-3"

The Estes web site has the shorter list (the second one)

Thanks Dean! The EMRR db already has the shorter list, so I'll keep it as-is.

Dean's got the same two sets of motors as me, I'll have a look at the flight logs on EMRR and see what motors people used and see if the ejection was early or late etc.

Kermie, I don't think its out of production it cost me £15 in the UK, and rockets are more expensive over here as they have to be imported.

Thanks for the pics Jase, thats the only shot I've seen of a Condor in flight, does it look better on the ground or in the air?

Thanks

Kermie, The ARV Condor is not OOP yet. It is readily available around here and from online vendors. I've seen it auctioned on Ebay quite a bit too and not going for more than $15 or so. I think I paid $10 for mine from Magnum when he was running an Estes special.

This is one rocket that is awesome both on the ground and in the air. The launch isn't all that much, but ejection is pretty cool with both gliders taking off and the booster breaking up.

It's not very big (maybe 16" or so tall). The gliders have about a 10" wingspan and are maybe 6-7" long.

Jase those pics have me stoked, that thing looks great.

I bought one last winter and have been putting it off for other more traditional looking rockets, but those pics look great, think i'll break it out this saturday and get it put together.

Jason

Good luck building it Jason, it's quite tricky (well I thought so) but satisfying even when you've just built one glider, like I have.

What is CyA glue? I've never heard of it but it seems to be quite commonly used.

Thanks

Originally posted by Mike
What is CyA glue? I've never heard of it but it seems to be quite commonly used.

CyA= Cyanoacrylate (sp?) glue = Super Glue

It's available at any hobby shop here in the states (I usually buy it in the 2 oz bottles) and I would guess it's available in larger bottles in the UK as well.

So how do use CyA glue on rockets, do you just paint it onto the balsa like sanding sealer? I'm thinking it has the same effects as sanding sealer, are there any advantages to either?

Ok rocketeers, here's my twist. I've flown my condor several times (agree B6-4 is way to go..) and have the same problem each time....one glider is balanced well and makes long sweeping circles coming down - the way it's suppose to I think, the other one dives in a tight spiral. I'm thinking it's just a balance problem on number 2, so I take the offending glider, add masking tape at different spots on the wing opposite the one leading into the spiral and pitch it off a high place to test....to no avail, no matter how much (albeit not gross) tape I place or where I place it.

So now I think it's worse than just a balance problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks. h.c.

Are the balsa wings warped or twisted? If you have a warp or a twist in the wings, you aren't going to be able to fix the problem by balancing. If one or both of the wings is warped or twisted, you'll either have to figure out a way to get the warp or twist out, or rip the wing off and replace it with another, or just junk the whole glider and build another.

I know.... not what you wanted to here.

If you do have a warp or a twist, maybe one of our resident craftsman will have a magic cure.

Oh yeah... to find out if the wings are messed up, compare the wings on the good one to the wings on the bad one. Site along the flat plain of the wing surface.

Mike,

I take a heavy plastic bag (like a bag that a rocket kit comes in) lay it flat and spread out the balsa pieces so they don't touch each other.

I then take some medium viscosity (I have also used Extra thick which works, but doesn't soak in as well. Thin could also be used) CyA and drip some in various places along the area to cover. Then I just use my finger to spread it around.

Some points to remember.
1. KEEP YOUR FINGER MOVING! You don't want to glue it to the balsa (don't ask how I figured this one out) ;)

2. Do this in a VERY well ventilated area. The fumes will burn your eyes, nose, throat, etc.

3. After you've spread it around, quickly rub your thumb and finger with the glue on it together to help it dry quickly on your fingertip. After you're done, you can peel it off of your fingertip fairly easily.

I paint both sides this way and then fold the plastic or use another piece to cover the pieces and place a couple of heavy books on them to keep the parts from warping.

After they are dry, just sand them smooth. It turns the balsa into near plastic.

Hope this helps

I guess I'm a bit late to use CyA on my two gliders as they're already built and I don't want to put heavy books on them but I will try it in the future on a different rocket.

I use thin CA for this purpose and dispense with the heavy books. I've used it on finished models before, especially to toughen up a repair. The thin stuff can really run all over and drip into places you don't wanted so be careful and cover the surface below with paper or something disposable.

I don't like to get that stuff near my fingers, so I spread it with a popsicle stick, coffee stirrer, or piece of scrap balsa. The surface will need sanding afterwards and a CA coated surface is tougher to sand than sanding sealer.

This is pretty much the only time I use thin CA. The need for ventilation cannot be overstressed. The stuff is nasty and takes some getting used to. I expect that the medium CA would work well too.

Well, you guys got me convinces...and I did get to see one fly last week...I just bid on and won an Estes Condor on Ebay.

$7.00 plus $2.00 shipping...$9.00 isnt too bad for a very interesting model.

I will make patterns of the gliders first...just in case they have to be reproduced.

But then again I always make copies of almost every kit I get. Ya just never know.

sandman

Way to go Sandman...I am sure your's will be another work of art bro!

Yea, you got it...we WILL wanna see pics. :)

Carl

Back