motor weights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Reaction score
ok so how much do the following motors weight unused

e9-6
d12-5
c6-5
b6-4
a8-4

here is why i ask. I was thinking about making a set of dummy motors of the comman sizes used that weight the same as the real motors. To be used for balencing and swing testing ect. As I do not always have fresh motors on hand. esp for scrach building and working with children as I dont always trust them.

i'm thinking of useing clay and bb's mixed togeather in used casings to get the weight. What do you think? everythimg messured on a scale togeather then packed and checked.

The certification reports provided here should give you that information. In some cases, you may have to take the reported "mass after firing" and add it to the reported propellant weight to get the total unfired weight.

You can also consult this site, and use the Search function.

MarkII

i'm thinking of useing clay and bb's mixed togeather in used casings to get the weight. What do you think? everythimg messured on a scale togeather then packed and checked.
I have done that to approximate the weight of loaded RMS motors (and SU motors that I don't have at the moment) for balancing purposes. I pack weight into an empty Estes 18mm or 24mm motor casing, and then adapt to to the relevant motor mount (such as a 29mm mount). For 38mm mounts, I use a tube that will fit in without TOO much adapting, such as a short length of BT-55, ST-13, or a 29mm motor tube (LT-115). If it is the right weight and (important) the right length, the scale and the balance rod won't know the difference.

MarkII

thanks for all the info. and yep a8-3 is what i ment i was half asleep when i posted :D

Charlaine:
If you have access to any of the old Estes printed cataloges, You should be able to print and have at hand an Estes motors chart that gives you all the Stats your looking for as will as delay and thrust info. These are all averages but just fine for what your doing;)
I have one from all the motor vendors I use in my Flight log book so I can reference them when needed. I think the Estes one I'm using is from 1992 but it still has the info I need with maybe the exceptio of the E motor data. I also carry on for Old Centuri motors, Quest and Apogee.

AS someone already posted you can also download all the individual motor spec sheets from S&T that also give this info along with helpful thrust curve data. but it take some time and requires a bunch of sheets where for the most part these little half sheet motor lists from the manufactures have just about the same info in handy "list formate".
Hope this helps a little.

Charlaine:
If you have access to any of the old Estes printed cataloges, You should be able to print and have at hand an Estes motors chart that gives you all the Stats your looking for as will as delay and thrust info. These are all averages but just fine for what your doing;)
I have one from all the motor vendors I use in my Flight log book so I can reference them when needed. I think the Estes one I'm using is from 1992 but it still has the info I need with maybe the exceptio of the E motor data. I also carry on for Old Centuri motors, Quest and Apogee.

AS someone already posted you can also download all the individual motor spec sheets from S&T that also give this info along with helpful thrust curve data. but it take some time and requires a bunch of sheets where for the most part these little half sheet motor lists from the manufactures have just about the same info in handy "list formate".
Hope this helps a little.
Well, I was thinking that Charlaine could just look up the weights in the cert. documents and write them down, since there were only five motors on her list. If all you want are the pre-fired weights, you can just read them off the screen (and save a tree) rather than print out the entire cert. report for each motor.

MarkII

i realise this already i felt like a moreon after realised i was looking at them all the time on the motor charts.

Last edited:
Back