Motor Tube Length vs Motor Length

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleestak

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if it is OK to have a motor that is slightly longer than the motor tube. Specifically for 38mm and 54mm MMT's. I assume it is OK, from a motor safety perspective, but could lead to extra crispy nomex/chutes, etc if using motor ejection. I never heard this discussed or asked before.

Hey guys, just wondering if it is OK to have a motor that is slightly longer than the motor tube. Specifically for 38mm and 54mm MMT's. I assume it is OK, from a motor safety perspective, but could lead to extra crispy nomex/chutes, etc if using motor ejection. I never heard this discussed or asked before.
Not uncommon, the motor tube can be much shorter than the motor.

One reason to have a longer motor tube on some rockets is that your body tube will otherwise require more 4F. That is, if you also have a CR at the forward end of that motor tube.

I think the lowest I would go would be about a motor tube diameter or three. But I suppose a single centering ring would be fine if the attachment and motor retention were stout enough.

A shorter tube will not get charred inside making it difficult to put a bigger motor in there later. You test fly on an F a few times then you try to put that H in there... A tube fitting around the outside of the MMT for a stuffer tube would be a good idea if you wanted to reduce the pressurization volume. Being larger it would not matter if it got charred. This is a moot point if you are using electronics for ejection in the payload.

Back