Motor Sleeve

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan4480

Reaction score
I was loading up a G64 today and when I went to put the motor sleeve in the case It would no go in. It would get stuck about half way in to the case. I pulled a sleeve from another reload kit and it went right in. Both reload kits were purchased from the same vendor and stored in the same location. Has this happened to anyone else?

Just different tolerances on the tubes. Peel the glassine coating off the tube and it will slide right in. No impact to motor performance.

This has happend to me 2 out ot 2 times. One would of thought I would have learned the first time to check before i jamed the sleve in too far the second time. had to use a plyers to remove it so I could peal the coating off.

I haven't had this happen on a 29/40-120 reload yet, but have had several 24/40 reloads where I've had to peel the glassine.

Same. It happened once to me with an entire pack of D13's.

On a similar note, I purchased a J500 reload a couple of weeks ago, and just noticed that the phenolic sleeve is cracked. It's a U-shaped crack about 2.5" long that makes sort of a tongue in the side of the sleeve.

I've e-mailed Aerotech about this, but have not gotten a reply. Is it safe to use a motor with this defect?

I'm working with a TARC team and they are using the 24mm reloadables (F39). We have three cases, two manufactured by Aerotech and one by Rouse. We have to peel the glassine off every reload we put in the RouseTech case.

On a similar note, I purchased a J500 reload a couple of weeks ago, and just noticed that the phenolic sleeve is cracked. It's a U-shaped crack about 2.5" long that makes sort of a tongue in the side of the sleeve.

I've e-mailed Aerotech about this, but have not gotten a reply. Is it safe to use a motor with this defect?
No. The phenolic sleeve is a thermal insulator. You risk damaging the motor casing due to direct hot gas impingment if it is cracked.

Bob

No. The phenolic sleeve is a thermal insulator. You risk damaging the motor casing due to direct hot gas impingment if it is cracked.

Bob

Correct! I would wait for the response from Gary and get his to send you a new one.

Ben

Bob

AMEN!

Years back, I worked on ultrasonic testing of the booster for the Titan 34 D. One of them had done a spectacular CATO at Vandenburg because the insulator had disbonded from the casing resulting in the hot gasses cutting right through the casing. It looked like someone had run a can opener up the side. Once they figured out what had gone wrong, we were testing to see if any of the booster segments in storage had poor bonds.

At Red Glare a couple of weeks ago I loaded a J500 in my Thor 4. Didn't look for any cracks but when I dissassembled the motor after the flight the sleeve had burned thru on the end in the U shape that your speaking of about 2 inches long. Showed some other fliers and we agreed it was a close call.

It took about a week, but I did hear back from Aerotech, and they did send me a replacement liner.

-Eric

Back