Motor shipping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaar

Reaction score
I know that there has been a lot of talk about shipping motors and everything. Everyone has said you must have a liscense. My question is, how can you get one? This is aimed mostly at vendors because they should know, but anyone who know anything please answer. What are the restrictions? I am assuming you must be 18 right? Thanks.

you mean,just to ship a few?

ask your local post office , some are more cooperative than others

Originally posted by stymye
you mean,just to ship a few?

ask your local post office , some are more cooperative than others

I think he means to buy in bulk, store, sell, and ship.

Mathew is right. I mean to ship, sell, and store low power engines.

pharr: post a copy of DOT E-7887 at your place of business and if you receive low power bp motors from say estes/quest, uyou are authorized to reselll off their exemption......I would call either estes or quest and they will tell you exactly what is required for u to do......

Both of these manufacturers will inform you of the requiremenst if you call them.

I just pulled up the USPS website and did a search on rocket motors. I get several references to a "Publication 52" which says shipping rocket motors via USPS is flat-out prohibited. Go see for yourself:
https://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf
This sort of contradicts what I had read somewhere that there is a procedure where you apply to the USPS and receive some sort of letter or form if you are approved, then you have to mark boxes in a certain way. Maybe things have changed?

If you are thinking of using someone like UPS or FedEx, you should go into one of their offices and ask. If you are considering using the USPS, you should go into your local office and ask. You might be able to get some authoritative info from the NAR or from Tripoli, but you will ultimately be the one responsible if you do anything wrong. You better take the time and go ask the right people. I don't want to say anything bad about anyone here on TRF, but we are not the ones you should be asking.

The penalties for screwing up these days are too painful.

Originally posted by powderburner
I just pulled up the USPS website and did a search on rocket motors. I get several references to a "Publication 52" which says shipping rocket motors via USPS is flat-out prohibited. Go see for yourself:
https://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf
This sort of contradicts what I had read somewhere that there is a procedure where you apply to the USPS and receive some sort of letter or form if you are approved, then you have to mark boxes in a certain way. Maybe things have changed?

I think you've read the wrong part. Or maybe they mean that without the letter/prior approval it's not permitted.

MR motors are under "mailable explosives" section 341.22, page 40. It references getting that letter of permission from USPS HQ. With that letter (which is free for the asking) you can mail (ground only) up to 20 or 25 lbs per box I think, of motors with 62.5g or less of propellant each. This can apply to RMS loads also, but not HPR loads. The marking used to be "Class C Explosives" but that term is obsolete. There's an equivalent.

For my earlier post, I had only done a quick scan of this "Publication 52" (specifically, Appendix A) which DOES say that shipment of rocket motors is prohibited (p. 193).

Then when you go back and wade through the actual text (p. 16, and p. 26) the same publication says it is OK to ship a few motors "when prior written permission has been obtained from the Manager, Business Mail Acceptance, USPS Headquarters, Washington, D.C." From wayback, I remember there is a specific format you are supposed to use when requesting this USPS permission, including descriptions of exactly what you propose to do.

phaar, my point is simply: you better go talk to the post office people, and not ask for instructions from a forum like this. We don't have the authority to tell you how to ship. We probably don't even have the authority to determine what color blindfold you will get to use in front of the firing squad.

https://nar.org/pdf/shipping_rocket_motors.pdf

Originally posted by phaar
I know that there has been a lot of talk about shipping motors and everything. Everyone has said you must have a liscense. My question is, how can you get one? This is aimed mostly at vendors because they should know, but anyone who know anything please answer. What are the restrictions? I am assuming you must be 18 right? Thanks.

I had seen that before (a long time ago) but had not been able to re-located it

There is another note floating around out there somewhere that details the info you will need to send to obtain USPS permission. If you don't send all the needed info the first time, be prepared for a couple rounds of letters before you obtain your permit (that is, it may take more than the 30-60 days mentioned)

Latest posts

Back