Motor retainer with snap ring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryC

Reaction score
My most recent build came with a motor retainer that uses a snap ring to hold the motor in place. The snap ring that came with it does not have the 2 holes snap rings normally have. It was very difficult getting it in and I have yet to get it out (will try more). I will probably just order some normal snap rings that I can insert and remove using my snap ring pliers. Anybody had any experience with the snap ring that came with the kit?

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 4.51.32 PM.png
IMG_3281.jpg

Looks like an old-school slimline retainer. One end of the ring is beveled. You put a flatblade screwdriver under the bevel and pry it out some and then pry up. It will come out of the groove. It'll then spiral out. That style retainer is useful on MD rockets or setups that don't allow for a screw on retainer.

What size motor is that retainer for? I just received the same retainer with my Mach 1 BT-60 Daedalus. Got the snap ring replaced but an Aerotech 29-40/120 case has a ton of slop in it. Did you have that problem?

Attachments

• B281BFF5-7360-4FF7-A94C-93214041EEC5.jpeg
    B281BFF5-7360-4FF7-A94C-93214041EEC5.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 37
Yeah you’re probably right. Didn’t even think of that. That is the only 29mm case I own so assumed it had the same closure. I’ll get some other cases ordered and give them a try.

My most recent build came with a motor retainer that uses a snap ring to hold the motor in place. The snap ring that came with it does not have the 2 holes snap rings normally have. It was very difficult getting it in and I have yet to get it out (will try more). I will probably just order some normal snap rings that I can insert and remove using my snap ring pliers. Anybody had any experience with the snap ring that came with the kit?

View attachment 427093
View attachment 427094
With a little experience the rings are very easy to install. You just start ring in retainer slot and just walk it around. To remove just use a small screw driver and lift one end out of grove and it will come right out. Once you see how it's done you will agree.

I agree with Crossfire. This is a zero tool install. And it pops out with a small screw driver, ball point pen, car keys, you get the point.

Just start one side and it kinda spirals into or out of the groove.

You may find the groove for the supplied spring clip, may be too narrow for a thicker snap ring.

For the slop when using hoobyline case, just cut a narrow ring of coupler to slide over case before installing into retainer to take up the slop. Gotta start thinking out side the box.....this is rocket science!

I use these all the time. Just use a small slotted screwdriver, there's a notch at one end of the snap ring, just catch the notch with your screwdriver it will pry right out.

What size motor is that retainer for? I just received the same retainer with my Mach 1 BT-60 Daedalus. Got the snap ring replaced but an Aerotech 29-40/120 case has a ton of slop in it. Did you have that problem?

Mine is a 38mm retainer. 38mm motor fit very snug in it.

I use these all the time. Just use a small slotted screwdriver, there's a notch at one end of the snap ring, just catch the notch with your screwdriver it will pry right out.

I could not use a tiny screwdriver as it would bend before lifting the end of the snap ring. I used a larger screw driver that was still small enough to be able to lift the end of the ring. It was tough but it finally lifted out. The snap ring is really stiff making it hard to lift the end out. I have some normal internal snap rings on the way which with snap ring pliers will make it much easier.

I could not use a tiny screwdriver as it would bend before lifting the end of the snap ring. I used a larger screw driver that was still small enough to be able to lift the end of the ring. It was tough but it finally lifted out. The snap ring is really stiff making it hard to lift the end out. I have some normal internal snap rings on the way which with snap ring pliers will make it much easier.
What ever works for you. I like basically the no tool method

these are the normal remove with screwdriver rings
I have never seen the one posted

1596726387927.png

Mine came with a spacer washer. Super easy in and out on the ring. Quicker than screwing on an aeropac. Mine sits inside the boattail of a talon 3

I'm also gonna get one for a 2" 29 mm
Velociraptor I'm scratch building.
Like this only built with Loc parts

Attachments

• IMG_20190727_110049352.jpg
    IMG_20190727_110049352.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 9
Who made that retainer? I have used the Giant Leap one often

I run across these rings all the time in construction and ag transmissions. Real fun to get out when a bearing has grenaded and beat up the ring. The main reason there's no holes is to provide maximum clearance in the bore. But, yeah, they can be a pain. As long as that bevel is sharp, they work OK. Dull the edge some and they get a little ornery...

I have a Giant Leap slimline that came with the "toolless" ring without the holes. The first time I pried it out it scraped off all the anodized coating around the edge of the slot. I was like "huh, okay then." I feel like you've got a limited number of uses before that steel ring chews up the aluminum until its unusable. If you had a ring with holes for pliers you wouldn't be scraping the edges of that groove all the time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for removing one of these rings? I have a BT-60 Daedalus from Mach 1, and I can't remove the ring. I've been trying to get it started with a bunch of different flathead screwdrivers without success. The ring is so stiff and the engagement area is so small that the screwdriver just keeps popping out, no matter what angle I try or how much force I apply.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for removing one of these rings? I have a BT-60 Daedalus from Mach 1, and I can't remove the ring. I've been trying to get it started with a bunch of different flathead screwdrivers without success. The ring is so stiff and the engagement area is so small that the screwdriver just keeps popping out, no matter what angle I try or how much force I apply.

With a #2 (or maybe smaller, not sure what size ring you have) blade flat tip screwdriver, try to twist the snap ring in towards the center of the tube. With a second smaller screwdriver, get between the snap ring and the retainer. Then gently pry up on the ring. Once you get the ring out, you can grind the angle longer on the end of the ring to give your screwdriver better bite. Good luck. The most important thing is to use a newish screwdriver. Sharp square edges are your friend.

Back