motor price...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Playdo

Reaction score
I went to my hobby shop today to pick up some Mighty D engines for my brand new "CC Express", a 2 stage rocket using D's. The thing is going to FLY on these motors! Factory wiegt is 2.7 oz. and it is only 28 inches tall with a 1.33 diameter. Not huge by any means, and well be soaring on its maiden voyage - first a single D12-5, than the 2 stages with a D12-0 and a D12-5.

Which brings me to my subject. All of the other motors I have bought were about $5.99 (A-C) but there was a jump with the D, I had to pay $10.99 for the pkg of 3. Ouch. Im afraid of how much the large motors will be costing me when I fly HPR.....

Motor prices are kind of like a launching rocket... they go up and up and up. :D

You will soon be paying $10 per launch. Look into RMS as a less expensive alternative if you haven't already. Yeah you have to buy a motor casing but these casing pay for themselves, sometimes after just 6-8 launches. Plus I've seen the vendor service on these things and if a casing should fail most vendors honor their guarantees without question.

Playdo, the prices for rocket motors kind of follows proportionately to the increase in impulse. As you know, the impulse (power) of the motor doubles with each increase in letter. So a D range motor has twice the power of a C, and an E has twice the power of a D, etc.

Oh, and BTW, HPR motors come in packs of ONE. H impulse motors *generally* range in price from about $18 to about $30 (that's right, for ONE motor). I motors generally range in price from about $26 to about $40. J motors are about $40 to $80.

You probably don't want to know how much K, L, and M motors cost. I think Carl's L3 Aerotech M1419W motor was $400 or $500.

Why do you think they call it "High" Power Rocketry? Because of the high price, of course....

But ya know what? When one of those smokin', flamin', roarin', whistlin', screamin' big high power beasts lights up and goes tearin' up into the heavens, it's worth every cent.

Right guys? RIGHT?

Right you are Ken! Hearing that M motor on Carl's L3 was magnificant. But I'm still glad it was his $400 and not mine.

It hurts a little less when you think about it on a PPP (Pennies Per imPulse) basis....

Yer basic Estes bp motors all cost you about $0.22/ns. But that $41 Single Use H125 gets you 320 ns for only $0.12 per ns. And how 'bout that $210 SU K250? Just $0.08 per ns!:D

And if you ignore the cost of the hardware :rolleyes: , Carls M1419W only cost him about five cents per ns! :D

-Nathan

Oh, and BTW, HPR motors come in packs of ONE.

The Rattworks motor reloads usually come in packs of three ;)

J motors are about $40 to $80.

My last full J only cost me $26 and was as noisy as a K engine :p
Gotta love them hybrids :D

Well, with any hobby, when you get really into it, it will eat up $ like mad.... I was looking around at RC jets and each MOTOR costs $2000 and up! (although that would be sweet to strap one of them onto a sustainer rocket for a Looooooooong burn :))

-Brian Barney

Hybrids? HYBRIDS? Everybody knows those aren't REAL rocket motors...... :kill:

OK, OK, guys, I was just kidding..... it was a joke.... it was a bad joke, but it was still a joke.

And, no, Mark, I don't want to find you waiting for me in my driveway when I get home tonight because you think I dissed your beloved hybrids......

Why, some of my best friends are hybrids..... :D

Playdo,

When people ask how much motors cost most are shocked. But, when you tell them it is one shot only, then they think you really have lost your mind.

"You mean it costs that much for one launch?"

I've heard that time and again. I just grin, cause they don't know what they are missing. They think I should be golfing. (ugh)

As far as HPR, it is a goal of mine, eventually, but I'm not in any hurry to get there. There is so much to learn and do in LPR and MPR I don't know if I will have time.

KenParker's last post paragraph says it best, I got goosebumps just reading it!:D

I hear that Swimmer! I am enjoying being a BAR with my low end Estes models. Once I start making some money..... whenever I can do that!.... I will get a MPR model, like a Mustang or Initiator. Then I will use that on special occasions with a good sized crowd, until I get tired of it. In which case, I will get a new one!

Calculating expenses......

still calculating.............

..............................still calculating...............

.............................still

..................OK, since i did the math quickly I have a rough estimate of all the money I will spend:

A lot!

playdo:

you may want to consider purchasing engines via the internet/mail......https://www.A2zhobbies.com has a 3 pack of D12 for $7.29......

now the bad thing about mail order is that they usually ship them USPS parcel post which can take upto 10 days depending how far you are from where you purchase them from .....

I recently purchased some Estes a3-2t from countdown hobbies in connecticut and they were here in 3-5 days.....I'm in KY......

also some online companies may charge a special hazmat fee if you want them by say UPS......

so this option can take take and additional money versus buying from your local hobby store...

it all depends.....you have to shop around...........

hope this helps

shockie :)

www.valueland.com

These are some of the BEST prices I have seen for Estes BP motors and Aerotech stuff. BTW, they have the Aerotech 29/40-120 hardware for ONLY $34.17!!! (And yes, mine is one the way!)

Here are some other examples of prices if you don't feel like going to the site:

Estes:
A8-5 $4.09
B6-0,4,6 $4.43
C6s $4.98
C11s - $6.14
D12s (D11Ps too!) - $7.17
E9s - $10.59

Aerotech:
(NOTE: Out of Stock)
F40-7W RMS $7.25
G64-_W RMS $8.17
G80-_T SU $12.96

Playdo, sometimes you just have to go forward and never look back. There is no justifying the cost of the hobby unless you truly love it. My advice - buy the motors/kits, build them/fly them, throw away the receipts!

Originally posted by eugenefl
Playdo, sometimes you just have to go forward and never look back. There is no justifying the cost of the hobby unless you truly love it. My advice - buy the motors/kits, build them/fly them, throw away the receipts!
Can I get an Amen! :D

Another place with great prices is Great Lakes Hobbies.

www.greatlakeshobbies.com

The prices are close enough that the shipping charges are going to be the difference in where you go. I don't know what Great Lakes charges for shipping. I do believe, however, that any reload kit over an E requires HAZMAT shipping even going USPS (I could be 100% wrong on that tho), which jacks the snot out of your shipping, as a HAZMAT box costs $20.

A through C motors are $5 per 3 pack here at Walmart, the Walmart's here are also carrying D motors at $5 for a two pack.

That's where I get most of my A through D stuff, then it's to the hobby shops or hobby lobby for the bigger stuff.

If you have time look around when you're on vacation or out of town on business, while in Spokane Wa, this summer on vacation I found a place with Estes D motors in 3 packs for $6 per 3 pack, I obviously loaded up there and brought them home.

Jason

Well, I am glad to see that I will be able to find bargains online, as I like to do with anything. I like both of the sites referenced, and I just might be shopping there for my engines. I am waiting for the next good day around here so I can go launch all of my repaired and new models.

I plan to fly these models:

Tomcat on a C6-3
Spitfire on a B6-2
ARV Condor on a B6-2
Helio-copter on a C6-3
CC Express on a D12-5, and then with the booster on a D12-0, D12-5. I hope I dont lose it!

I have extra D engines, so I just might launch something again...

Just waiting for a pretty day...

Back