Motor Manufacturer round-up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCoker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to clean up the no-longer-available motors on ThrustCurve.org, and one quick way to do that is by identifying defunct manufacturers. I did a quick spin through the existing manufacturers to see which ones no longer have an active web site, but that's not really definitive.

• AeroTech: active
  • Alpha Hybrids: active?
  • Animal Motor Works: some available from CTI
  • Apogee Components: relabeled AT
  • Cesaroni Technology: active
  • Contrail Rockets: active?
  • Ellis Mountain: gone
  • Estes Industries: active
  • Gorilla Rocket Motors: active
  • Hypertek: available from CTI?
  • Kosdon by AeroTech: available from AT
  • Kosdon TRM: gone
  • Loki Research: active?
  • Propulsion Polymers: gone?
  • Public Missiles, Ltd.: relabeled AT
  • Quest Aerospace: active
  • R.A.T.T. Works: active?
  • Roadrunner Rocketry: active?
  • Rocketvision Flight-Star: gone
  • Sky Ripper Systems: gone?
  • Southern Cross Rocketry: active
  • West Coast Hybrids: active?

If you have more specific information, please post it here. For active manufacturers (other than the "big four"), I also need a current product list so that I can mark motors no longer produced.

I'm trying to clean up the no-longer-available motors on ThrustCurve.org, and one quick way to do that is by identifying defunct manufacturers. I did a quick spin through the existing manufacturers to see which ones no longer have an active web site, but that's not really definitive.

• Alpha Hybrids: active?
  • Contrail Rockets: active?
  • Hypertek: available from CTI?
  • Loki Research: active?
  • Propulsion Polymers: gone?
  • Quest Aerospace: active
  • R.A.T.T. Works: active?
  • Roadrunner Rocketry: active?
  • Sky Ripper Systems: gone?
  • West Coast Hybrids: active?

If you have more specific information, please post it here. For active manufacturers (other than the "big four"), I also need a current product list so that I can mark motors no longer produced.

Loki is active.

https://lokiresearch.com/secure/store.asp?groupid=831200410431019

Also, perhaps you need a new field indicating whether a motor is legal in California.

• Alpha Hybrids: Supplies reloads for existing users. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?14868-Alpha-Hybrids-closing-out-inventory
  • Contrail Rockets: active
  • Hypertek: available from CTI: active from Hypertek dealers
  • Loki Research: active
  • Propulsion Polymers: gone
  • Quest Aerospace: active merged with AT
  • R.A.T.T. Works: active https://www.rattworks.net/
  • Roadrunner Rocketry: gone
  • Sky Ripper Systems: gone
  • West Coast Hybrids: appears to be active? https://westcoasthybrids.homestead.com/

Bob

Last edited:
For active manufacturers (other than the "big four"), I also need a current product list so that I can mark motors no longer produced.

Okay, so I've got the big two.......not sure about three and four John. ;)

Current Loki production motors are on the website here if you need them.

Correct. Through our Hypertek dealer network.

Jeroen

Glad to hear this, I have been interested in a Hybrid but when i checked out the HyperTek website and noticed it hadnt been updated in around 10 years, i thought it was defunct. Back to my search!!

----------
edit
just checked out Black Dog Rocketry and they state "NOTICE: Due to lack of manufacturer supply I have NO HyperTEK components in stock."

Last edited:
Rocket Vision Motors were just relabeled AT SU motors:
F 101, F 72, G 55's.

JD

• Alpha Hybrids: Supplies reloads for existing users. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?14868-Alpha-Hybrids-closing-out-inventory
  • Contrail Rockets: active
  • Hypertek: available from CTI: active from Hypertek dealers
  • Loki Research: active
  • Propulsion Polymers: gone
  • Quest Aerospace: active merged with AT
  • R.A.T.T. Works: active https://www.rattworks.net/
  • Roadrunner Rocketry: gone
  • Sky Ripper Systems: gone
  • West Coast Hybrids: appears to be active? https://westcoasthybrids.homestead.com/

Bob

Not sure when RoadRunner shutdown, but based on the existing web site I contacted him late last year to see if I could be a site dealer, and he confirmed that he is not producing anything and starting back up doesn't look likely since he no longer has the time to operate the company.

That is a shame. There is becoming less and less competition. There used to be 10-12 motor makers. 5-10 launch pad makers. Hopefully, the economy will improve and with it, so does the competition.

I am all for competition. Still, what we are seeing is at least partially related to the outcome of competition.

Aerotech and CTI are selling. Loki is probably struggling, which is a direct result of competition. Loki makes fine motors. I have no idea how Gorilla is doing. I think the reality is that we are a very finite market, and ultimately we as a group may not be able to support 10-12 motor manufacturers. A small, niche hobby, a down economy, and competition means that some marginal manufacturers will fail.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I don't disagree. I think 10-12 is excessive, but I think there is room for another major manufacturer.

I've sent an email to West Coast Hybrids. Please let me know if anyone has positive info either way about their status.

I am all for competition. Still, what we are seeing is at least partially related to the outcome of competition.

Aerotech and CTI are selling. Loki is probably struggling, which is a direct result of competition. Loki makes fine motors. I have no idea how Gorilla is doing. I think the reality is that we are a very finite market, and ultimately we as a group may not be able to support 10-12 motor manufacturers. A small, niche hobby, a down economy, and competition means that some marginal manufacturers will fail.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I'd love to buy Loki, AMW, Gorilla, or any other smaller vendor, but they're not approved for launch in California where I do nearly all my launching.

Here is the current list of manufacturers that have been verified to be still active:

NameMotorsNotes
AeroTech212
Animal Motor Works30Cesaroni
Apogee Components2
Cesaroni Technology285
Contrail Rockets67
Estes Industries22
Gorilla Rocket Motors40
Hypertek22Cesaroni
Kosdon by AeroTech14AeroTech
Loki Research37
Quest Aerospace7AeroTech