Motor ID?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
Bought a 75/5120 reload from Tim last year at Mid West Power. Never got to fly it and now, I've no idea what it is, cant' remember. Tim doesn't have a record of the sale.

I built the motor on site but did NOT have to glue the grains in the case. I weighed it and got about 10.6 pounds. That case has a forged eye bolt screwed into the forward closure which adds about 2.65 oz. That narrows it down to one of these four reloads:

L900, L1040, L1365 or possibly an L1420.

Is there any other way to ID this motor? It is still sitting here ready to use. The RSO and LCO will want to know what I am flying. Heck, I want to know what it is I am flying!

My plan is to fly that motor this year.

Bought a 75/5120 reload from Tim last year at Mid West Power. Never got to fly it and now, I've no idea what it is, cant' remember. Tim doesn't have a record of the sale.

I built the motor on site but did NOT have to glue the grains in the case. I weighed it and got about 10.6 pounds. That case has a forged eye bolt screwed into the forward closure which adds about 2.65 oz. That narrows it down to one of these four reloads:

L900, L1040, L1365 or possibly an L1420.

Is there any other way to ID this motor? It is still sitting here ready to use. The RSO and LCO will want to know what I am flying. Heck, I want to know what it is I am flying!

My plan is to fly that motor this year.

If you are willing to take the aft closure out, take a picture of the propellant. The color might be a helpful clue.

Can't ID the flavor of the motor, but check the orings if it's been assembled for a year now... hopefully they aren't too compressed and not allowing for a good seal.

See you at MWP!

Looks like a sparky!

I'll predict L900 or L1040 Dark Matter. Second guess would be L1365 Metalstorm.

Looking forward to watching it burn, regardless!

Edit: Aerotech lists the L1040 as a load for the 3840 in the motor matrix, but as the 5120 elsewhere. Why two DM loads for the 5120 case? Anyway....

Last edited:
Looks similar to the L1040 we got for a test flight back in the IREC days. Reddish tinge, shiny bits, etc...

If they prohibit spark motors, Do Not risk flying this load lol. THe L1040 and L900 are so close in performance, it won't have an appreciable difference

Email from Karl at Aerotech:

“That is Dark Metal, a sparking motor
Possibly a L900DM or a L1040DM
Best,
Karl”

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Measure the core size and throat size of the nozzle. Most instruction sheets show the core size and the motor assy dwgs show throat size. They are available on ATs website. Maybe that will narrow the field.

Back