Motor choice pro38/Hybrid

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extremevelocity

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to mid/high power rocketry and Initially I was building my Sprint for my L1.
I will still build it but have decided to buy a PML X-Calibur (same as Phantom)
I want to concentrate on the fun factor and the fact that it's a Kit makes it less worrisome.
As for motor choice I can get the pro 38 locally either 1G or 2G casing.
If I were to buy the 2G is it possible to load it with less grain?
1G would make more sense but for future use the 2G would be better I think?

Now a 3rd choice seems to be available from another local company called westcoast hybrids https://westcoasthybrids.homestead.com/home.html

They have just produced a 38mm G hybrid and the $$ seems reasonable.
The product will be demonstrated at BCRC's next launch by them and they will even have a building seminar the day before launch.
Showing how easy it is to convert from regular propulsion to hybrid.
So I'm not sure which way to go here if anyone has any suggestions let me know.
Mike

Originally posted by extremevelocity
If I were to buy the 2G is it possible to load it with less grain?
1G would make more sense but for future use the 2G would be better I think?

Mike,

A Pro38 2G case will only allow you to use a 2G reload....... The same is true for the 1G case........ I believe there are a few (2 maybe 3) choices of reloads for each case, but each one is still a 1 or 2 grain reload........

I wish you could use the bigger case with smaller reloads...... I could have just got the 6 grain case and that was it!!!! :D Instead I have gotten 1 grain up to 5 grain...... (still want to buy the 6 grain)

yeah that is true. Also, you need to look at certification of motors. I am not sure the hybrids you mention are certed but they might be. Hybrids are complicated but you cnaf figure them out it isnt that bad and west coast makes floating injector type so they are easier (IMHO) than Hyperteck types.

do not put a 1G in a 2G case....you will get flames coming out of both ends and probably toast your rocket

Mike...you are going to want to stick with Pro38's, but they are a great choice. Unless the rules changed, you cannot fly a hybrid unless you are level 2 certified...of course...those are US guidelines...not sure about up north.

Carl

Hi I think the rules are the same here in Canada.
It does seem easier with the pro38 system.
less things to worry about and Ceasaroni is right here in Canada:)
Mike

Originally posted by CTulanko
Unless the rules changed, you cannot fly a hybrid unless you are level 2 certified

Actually, the rules have changed... You have been able to cert L1 with a hybrid for a a few years now. There are at least 9 L1 (H and I) Hybrid motors TRA/NAR certified at this point, and 4 or 5 more will be added before the end of the summer.

Certed hybrid motors for L1;

Hypertek, I130, I205 (Other variations for 2nd burn and FX also)
RATT H70, I80, I90
Propulsion Polymers, H70, I80, I160
West Coast, I110

Coming soon;

Sky Ripper Systems, H120, H145,I115,I150 (Pending)
West Coast - New 38mm H motor

Todd Moore
Sky Ripper Systems.

Pro38 is motors are good if you don't like reloading and cleaning motors..... and like spending money.... especially with the smaller loads. They are WAY to expensive.... The design is a lot more complicated then it has to be.... so that makes the reload cost more expensive... I like to call the pro38 motors disposable motors... because they are in a way... you just need to screw them into the aluminum tube to hold them together. When you get to the larger loads, the prices get more reasonable if you shop around.

Hi Mike,

CAR rules are in the process of being evaluated with respect to using a hybrid motor for L1 certification. So far though, it is not possible. As mentioned, the Pro 38 casings are designed for 1 to 6 grain motors. Each motor requires the appropriate casing. Someone will surely loan a 2G casing for an H launch to help you get your L2 cert. I will if I am around for your launch. Read the CAR regs. though as they are the ones that apply unless you decide to join TRA and fly/cert. by their rules. CAR and TRA are your only options as a Canadian flyer though as you can only certify with those orgs. NAR will not cert. you as a Canadian flyer AFAIK. You are free to join NAR, but not be covered by their insurance or be certified for HPR. The G hybrid you referred to is not a certified motor. Also, the H WCH motor is not certified yet. Therefore, even if L1 was possible with a hybrid, the WCH isn't a possible choice. Sorry to break all this to you. Come out to that launch in March and we can talk more.

Len Bryan

I would say just from a Keep It Simple, Stupid standpoint, go with the Pro38. Availability of loads, and knowing that you can use them is good. Not to mention that if you go with West Coast Hybrids, it looks like the only choice for L1 is an I110. Man, that X-Calibur would scream on that motor - not a good choice for L1 certification.

Loopy

Originally posted by Len B
Hi Mike,
--snip--
Someone will surely loan a 2G casing for an H launch to help you get your L2 cert. I will if I am around for your launch.
--snip--
Len Bryan

That should read H for your L1 cert. Also, in Canada L2 is I impulse, L3 is J,K,L impulse and L4 is M,N,O impulse. An advanced category is in the works to cover larger motors and EX. I'm posting this info as Mike is a fellow Canadian and there may be others here. :eek:

Len Bryan

Great for some reason I thought G was considered for people with L1 only.
It's kinda fuzzy with all the Mid/high power regs especially since the rules are different here in Canada than the US.
It will make more sense for me when I get to met some of the people from the club for the next meet.
Mike

Back