Motor CATO'd- How to fix rocket for relaunch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daviesca14

Reaction score
Just got back from my first midwest rocket launch. On saturday I attempted to launch my level 1 rocket and I was one of the unlucky ones that got a faulty motor (Cesaroni H123A). I used fiberglass so thankfully the rocket is still strong enough to relaunch. However, shreds of fiberglass have been pulled up in the motor mount tube (currently the motor casing will not slide all the way down the tube) and I'm trying to figure out how to fix that/clean it out? I'm assuming that the centering rings are pretty damaged as well. Also I have to figure out a new retention system since my shock cord burned off on the end that had epoxy. Any ideas? I can post pictures if that helps. I'm hoping to relaunch this rocket in about a month.

Just got back from my first midwest rocket launch. On saturday I attempted to launch my level 1 rocket and I was one of the unlucky ones that got a faulty motor (Cesaroni H123A). I used fiberglass so thankfully the rocket is still strong enough to relaunch. However, shreds of fiberglass have been pulled up in the motor mount tube (currently the motor casing will not slide all the way down the tube) and I'm trying to figure out how to fix that/clean it out? I'm assuming that the centering rings are pretty damaged as well. Also I have to figure out a new retention system since my shock cord burned off on the end that had epoxy. Any ideas? I can post pictures if that helps. I'm hoping to relaunch this rocket in about a month.

A small diameter flapper sanding disc on a long rod should clean up the fibers enough to allow the motor casing to get back in there. That'd be my first try. Might take a bit of sanding but I can't imagine that not working unless the filament wound glass is cooked all the way to the OD. If that's the case, peel out the fibers until the motor tube is gone, clean up with a Dremel Sanding drum, and install a new motor tube.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress!

-Eric-

Back