Motor Cato Responsibility

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davalf

Reaction score
I wanted to know what everyone thinks on this issue. I am not trying to say anything bad about any of the motor company's. This happened to me many years ago. I was flying a scratch built rocket on a single use G80. The motor worked as advertised until about 30ft off the rail and then blew up. At the time I was 100% sure that the motor company should replace my hundred dollar rocket. Just as if you bought a brand new tire and it failed a mile from the shop and caused damage to your vehicle. You would expect the tire company or the shop to repair it. I contacted the motor company and they seemed to be rather rude, they told me "we're sorry but there is nothing we can do." That didn't seem right. Now I am not a 100% sure they should have replaced the rocket, but I think they should have done something. No hard feelings, but it has been in the back of my mind for many years now and I was wondering what everyone else's opinions are. Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
sorry to hear about that. Thats a great question. I understand certain manufacturers warranties say "we are not responsible" that sure makes you think before you fly.. like, DO I dare take a chance at their motor blowing up my rocket?

Unfortunately it happens. I cant remember all the rockets I have destroyed, some my fault some not. you have to almost get used to it in this hobby.

Sorry about the problem. But a warranty won't usually get you a new rocket.

Most warranties are limited to the price (usually repair or replacement only) of the item warranted only. I can’t think of a single warranty off hand where the warranty covers incidental damage to other property, injuries, etc. Usually, if you read the fine print, these are specifically excluded from any warranty. This includes tires, at least as far as the ones I've seen. All the tire warranties I’ve seen limit the warranty to the tire, and usually pro rate that over time to account for wear.

As an observation of warranty law in general, not intended as a comment on any particular product or warranty, a warranty is a type of contract, and usually will not give rise to damages in addition to the amounts set out in the contract. To go beyond that, you would have to show a defect under product liability law, negligent manufacture, or something else, a “tort.” This is usually hard to prove regardless of the product.

On the other hand, it is usually pretty easy to prove improper installation, abuse of the product, or other issues that can cause a product to fail. Using the tire example, I know of one case where a guy’s wheel fell off a couple of miles down the road from the garage where the guy had his tire changed. When the police officer pulled up, he looked at the missing wheel, walked up to the driver and said, “I bet you got new tires at ‘Garage X,’ right? This is where their wheels always fall off.” Apparently this garage had a hard time remembering to tighten the lug nuts. OK, it’s not really the tire that had the problem, but that negligence was easy to prove. I’ve seen a number of cases allege tire defects. They are hard to prove, especially because people generally do not take care of their tires. But written product warranties generally won’t get you more than the price of the item.

Fine Print: Discussion not applicable to implied warranties, which will just confuse things a lot more. Those of you outside the US, or in a few particularly odd states, or cities which believe they are independent jurisdictions, may not notice any resemblance to your own state or local law. Consult you're own attorney in your local jurisdiction. :confused2:

Hi guys. My name is Kleber, I'am from Brazil. I don't writte ingles very well. I developed a hight altitude Micro Rocket. A strob signal fall no parachuts. Watch the video on full screen to see the strob signal fall through the clouds.
Or search " micro rocket hight altitude" on Youtube.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEmyyYnlsM4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Back