Motor casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssrat

Reaction score
Im just gettihg into hi power rocketry. I got certified level 1 last july 4th.I built a loc expediter and flew it on a h123 a couple times. I would like to fly it on an I motor and eventually certify level 2. I have a 38/240 casing. can I put an I reload in this casing or do I need a bigger one? Is there a chart somewhere that shows what reloads go into what casing? thanks.

Im just gettihg into hi power rocketry. I got certified level 1 last july 4th.I built a loc expediter and flew it on a h123 a couple times. I would like to fly it on an I motor and eventually certify level 2. I have a 38/240 casing. can I put an I reload in this casing or do I need a bigger one? Is there a chart somewhere that shows what reloads go into what casing? thanks.

The number on the casing means two things. The first number is the outer diameter of the casing in millimeters. The second number is the theoretical maximum impulse in Newton-seconds (N*s) that that casing can hold. In this case, 240 N*s is a baby H, so no, a 38/240 case will not hold an I reload. My suggestion, if you want to fly I's and get your L2 eventually, is to get a three-grain CTI or AT 54mm case. Both companies are coming out with a spacer system that will allow you to fly a one-, two-, or three-grain reload in a three-grain case, which means you can fly I's and J's in that case.

long 38mm hardware may work for you. Aerotech has J's for the 720 case. Add grain spacers to step that same casing down for I's. I image CTI has a similar case.

Bob

There are probably not many I's for the 54mm cases. If i bought a 54mm case, i would buy a longer case than i need and use grain spacers to allow me to fly the shorter length reloads.

Bob

Here's the Aerotech catalog. You can download it in pdf and print the whole thing or just the motor pages.
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/products.aspx
It also has all the thrust curves and other info on each reload.

Congrats on your L1 :D

Your 38/240, unfortunately, will not accommodate any I reloads.

The suggestion above to get an Aerotech or CTI 3 grain 54 case is good.

However, also above is a brilliant name that also came up.

Loki.

They have several H and I reloads that do not require haz mat charges when being shipped. Including their sparky propellent.

If you are looking to buy another 38mm case, I suggest the Loki 38/480 for your I motor.

and the 38/740 for your L2 J motor when you get to it.

Both can be found here.

I fly amost exclusively Aerotech, because those are the cases I have. I do agree that Loki makes some great hardware and motors. I got my L1 with a Loki I110W moonburner. 4.5 second burn time and 4,200 feet. It was a great motor.

4,200 feet for your first certification flight? :shock: You must have been very confident, very brave and very lucky. :D

Mark K.

There are probably not many I's for the 54mm cases. If i bought a 54mm case, i would buy a longer case than i need and use grain spacers to allow me to fly the shorter length reloads.

Bob

There are currently 5 I impulse reloads for Aerotech 54

I115W
I117FJ
I215R
I229T
I599N

And I have on good authority there will be a sixth reasonably soon - I2XXG

All fit the 54-427 soda can.

4,200 feet for your first certification flight? :shock: You must have been very confident, very brave and very lucky. :D

Mark K.

Confident..., pretty much,

Brave..., not really, if it didn't work, I get to try again.

Lucky..., I like to think it didn't have anything to do with luck. I scratch build a good rocket, I ground tested the DD system and charges, was at a large field on a good day, checked everything twice. It all worked according to plan.

As it turned out, that I110W was the highest that rocket flew, even the I1299N only got 4,028 ft., until I put a J350W in it at LDRS 28.

There are currently 5 I impulse reloads for Aerotech 54

I115W
I117FJ
I215R
I229T
I599N

And I have on good authority there will be a sixth reasonably soon - I2XXG

All fit the 54-427 soda can.

Not to say there's anything wrong with these motors, but they are all about 400Ns, in the lower half of the I range. If you want something closer to a full I, you need to go back to the 38/600 case or the Is for the 38/720 case.

I like to think it didn't have anything to do with luck. I scratch build a good rocket, I ground tested the DD system and charges, was at a large field on a good day, checked everything twice. It all worked according to plan.
Ambitious, too. And skilled......... :D

(4,200 ft. and DD in a Level 1 cert flight. Jeez!)

Mark K.

Back