Motor Casing Grease

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Results of limited testing;

I didn't use the Freekote but did treat my cases with Breakfree CLP. The Breakfree CLP is available at gun shops and sporting good stores (Big 5 in southern Cal). It is a dry film lubricant, this is different than a grease in that it forms a 'bonded' layer that is dry to touch, no transfer.

I cleaned my cases by spraying Breakfree CLP in them and wiping them with a paper towel, the Breakfree CLP has solvent in it that disolved the gunk that was in one of my cases. After they were clean I applied two more coats of Breakfree CLP, sprayed on and allowed to dry.

During my last launch (Saturday) I used two cases, twice each. One was a 38-720 and the other was a 29-60. During prep I did not use ANY grease on the liner, only a kiss of super lube on the O-rings. Think the vermouth in a DRY martini VERY little grease. The Breakfree CLP makes the threads screw in very smoothly. The 38-720 case had been used for well over 40 launches previously. The 29-60 was a virgin case.

Results: I launched the 38-720 case twice with a J500 Mojave Green reload in a saucer (boy was that fun!), each time the liner slid out with minimal force, the threads wiped clean with a damp rag. The 29-60 was used twice with a F62, slid right out.

Other than maybe giving the case a fresh coat Breakfree CLP the cases are ready to go.

I've used Vaseline up to J350/J420 loads. Once I began flying larger motors (54mm J, K and up) I switched to the high temp greases. Now, I use the high temp grease on all loads because I always have it available.

I have always used Vaseline too but at the last launch I took some heat (all in good fun) for it. Since my current jar is pretty much empty I will purchase the recommended lubricant next time.

I have never had Vaseline attack any o rings and had a motor together for over six months one time.

I use AGS Sil-Glyde.

It's a silicone lubricant that's only meant to be used on o-rings. I've used it on tight paper liners with mixed results, it made it easier to remove on one load and almost impossible to remove on another. I've had the same tube over my entire reload building history (about a year and 20 loads) and I haven't put a dent in the tube yet.

Field report on Breakfree CLP

I have been using Breakfree CLP to prepare my cases for a few months now (around 20 reloads worth) , this stuff works great. The thing you have to remember is that you apply this stuff ahead of time and let it dry, you don't use at when you load the motor. It almost leaves a slightly oily feeling to the parts, but doesen't seem to contaminate things.

I have used it on over 15 launches and it really makes things easy. I have stopped using any grease except for a SMALL amount on the o rings, no greasing the outside of the liner, only the pre-applied Breakfree CLR. Cleaned up 4 cases today that I launched yesterday All of the had the liners slip out with minimal residue, quick wipe with a paper towel with a little vinegar cleaned it right up.

Good stuff!!

Ball hitch Lube with teflon, tub from walmart.

When the TMT chair demonstrates lubing the o-rings by rubbing his finger on the side of his nose and rubbing the o-ring, you worry about the grease a hole lot less.

Latest posts

Back