Motor Adapter for Minimum Diameter Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-Tampa

Reaction score
Looking to build my first minimum diameter rocket.
Currently thinking of the Mad Cow 2.2 Go Devil.
It of course takes a 54mm motor. I was planning on epoxying a 54mm minimum retainer and then utilizing Aero Pack extenders for different 54mm case lengths.
I would also like to use 38mm motors in this rocket as well.
My question is this:
How do adapt a 54mm minimum diameter to accept 38mm motors?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Best Regards,
Brian

A couple centering rings, a motor tube and an Aeropack retainer in addition to you minimum diameter retainer

Buy a LOC 38-54 adapter. I would not use the short piece of 54mm tube but use masking tape instead. 3/4" wide tape will hold at least 1000N thrust. Build up the tape layer to the OD of your rocket then a wrap of masking tape over the joint will keep the motor in place. Otherwise, friction fit. DO NOT put the BP in the ejection well. The friction fit only has to withstand the empty casing falling out during deployment events. Before installing the adapter into the rocket, cut off the excess 38mm tube in front of the 54mm coupler. Slide the motor in place and add a couple wraps of masking tape around the motor against the front of the adapter.

Back