CANCELLED Mother Nature wins this one - CMASS 17 November 2018 Launch and Night Launch - Amesbury, MA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our final launch of the season was scheduled for this Saturday, the 17th of November but is being postponed until some date in the future. When we reschedule, we’ll start set up about 9:30 in the morning and fly as soon as we can. More hands helping will get us going sooner.

The soccer crowd won't be using the field so there should be plenty of easy parking. It would be great if we could have someone volunteer their car/van/SUV for shuttle use. Volunteers for driving, safety check, food service and LCO are always welcome.

Now that we are back on Eastern Standard Time, we may not fly our normal set up all the way to 4 PM. The good news is, we’ll take advantage of the early darkness to hold our annual Night Launch. This will be a joint launch with the Night Owl Rocketry Guild (NORG) out of Salem, MA. Joe, the President of NORG, is looking to spark interest in night flying and will be holding several launches throughout the season next year in Salem. If you have a rocket with lights, bring it out and fly it now; if you don’t, hang around and see the ways you can make or modify a rocket to be a night flyer. We ask that you not fly anything that will go higher than 1000 feet and that you keep it to low- and mid-power motors. We set up by the road and won’t have the proper clear space to allow high-power launches after dark.

As has been the case this fall, don’t expect any motor vendors to be on the field.

Check the parking rules. All the usual safety rules are in effect.

Last edited:
I've signed up for an hour of LCO duty. I might be able to do more, but I've got a friend and his son joining me for a little bit, and I want to make sure I don't just leave them, so we'll see how long they stay or how it goes.

If I want the metric rail to be available, do I need to request that in the Pad C request box, or do I just need to ask to get it from the trailer when I'm there?

Due to field conditions after the snow and rain we've had, the launch is postponed until Sunday the 18th at the earliest. It is possible the launch may be postponed until early December.

Keep an eye here and/or the club website for ongoing updates.

I've signed up for an hour of LCO duty. I might be able to do more, but I've got a friend and his son joining me for a little bit, and I want to make sure I don't just leave them, so we'll see how long they stay or how it goes.

If I want the metric rail to be available, do I need to request that in the Pad C request box, or do I just need to ask to get it from the trailer when I'm there?

All of the various size rails are in the trailer. Just ask and we can substitute it at one of the 3/16" or 1/4" pads.

Guy.

Due to field conditions after the snow and rain we've had, the launch is postponed until Sunday the 18th at the earliest. It is possible the launch may be postponed until early December.

Keep an eye here and/or the club website for ongoing updates.

This is obviously my fault. I bring the bad weather with me.

The conditions at the field are not improving with the sun and temperature today. The ground is still covered by snow and mushy underfoot, the roadway is blocked by some plowed snow and would be susceptible to damage with the traffic we would put over it.

We'll look at conditions at the beginning of December and try for a date then. Don't let this dampen your volunteer spirit - use the sign up sheet to help out at the launch, whenever it takes place.

As the song from "The Life of Brian" goes, "Always look on the bright side of life".
The postponement has allowed me to:
Sleep in Saturday and Sunday.
Complete the final yard chores for 2018.
Look to see what rockets need repairs or improvements.
Look forward to the December CMASS launch.

For those who get their info from TRF only, the CMASS 2018 launch season is over. We still have our Annual Cookie MEeting (ACME) at the Hatch Makerspace on 18 December.
Our next launch, the Winter Follies, is scheduled for 19 January in Acton at the School Street fields.

RIMRA had to do the same. I know our friends on the West Coast have the opposite problem, but it just won't stop raining here in New England.

Back